Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Hr24 network using power line adapters

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jbf

jbf

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 10:05 AM

Ok! I know that getting an error code 22 has been an ongoing problem for a long time now, reading all the old posts , but, I have a question that no one seems to have posted before.
We recently went back to HD tv receivers again. Before was using hr21's in the past to HR24's now. On the hr21 I was able to connect to the Internet,no problem. Here is my question:
Do the powerline adapters not work well with the newer hr24s?
I have tried all of the fixes posted on here, but to no avail. ( red button reset, network setups, etc...)

I chose not to go with the SWM method of hookup, cause I ran 2 cables to every receiver + didn't want anything attached to the side of my new home. So therefore, no deca installed.
Any help about my using powerline adapters adapters?

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,590 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 07 September 2013 - 11:15 AM

Powerline adapters rarely work well and should be avoided if at all possible.  The "SWM method" is much much more reliable.  Why don't you want to use it?  If you replace your dish's LNB with a SWM LNB (assuming you no more than 8 tuners), then there's nothing that needs to be "attached" anywhere. 

HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#3 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,112 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 02:19 PM

Ok, honestly, there is nothing extra to run in almost any scenario when you move from a legacy setup to a swim system, and it works unlike power line adapters. They are just awful. Could you describe your full setup? I wonder why you have the impression you would have to add wires for a swim system. That just doesn't make sense. If you are all hr24s one simple deca to connect to the Internet anywhere in the system and you whole system is up and running with Internet access as well as Whole Home Service. Heck Whole Home Service would even work without Internet access.

#4 OFFLINE   jbf

jbf

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 08:47 PM

Currently using 2 hr24-500
1 hooked to powerline adapters.
I was under impression that the "SWM" method utilizes a multiswitch attached somewhere outside. So I figured, on the siding. So, I didn't want it attached to new home siding.
Any kind of workaround to use powerlines or is SWM only option?

#5 OFFLINE   jceman

jceman

Legend

• Registered
  • 241 posts
  • LocationNorth of Daytona Intl. Speedway

Posted 07 September 2013 - 10:18 PM

The DECAs are built into the HR24s.

If you switch to a SWM system with only 2 HR24-500s, the only physical change would be to swap out the LNB on your dish with a SWM LNB and one of your existing two lines to one of the HR24s would be modified to accept a Power Inserter that would be plugged into an outlet in that room, the second HR24 would then be disconnected from the coax into Sat 2 in and both HR24s be reset to use the single input to run both tuners. 

If you have DirecTV also activate Whole Home all that would be needed would be a splitter by the receiver nearest your router (ours is in the Master bedroom) and a coax from the splitter to the Cinema Connection Kit and an ethernet cable from the CCK to your router.

All inside, no holes in the wall, nothing hanging off the siding, Only visible change outside would be the LNB in front of your dish.

Opinions voiced by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect that of any other person or entity, living or dead, real or fictional, on this or several other planets in this universe or any other.
Close cover before striking. Bridge may freeze before road. Your mileage may vary.

#6 OFFLINE   rbpeirce

rbpeirce

Godfather

• Registered
  • 407 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 10:07 AM

Powerline adapters rarely work well and should be avoided if at all possible.

I don't have SWM (yet) but I do use power line internet connectors.  I think they are limited by your internet speed, in my case 3mbps, so I can only use them to record VOD.  I also use the same unit to update the software on my LG TV.  I have WiFi in the house but it is terrible in this location.  Be that as it may I would much prefer a direct connection to my router, but that isn't possible either.

Mine are D-Link and have worked fine for ages.  However, I understand there can be serious problems if everything isn't on the same circuit.

#7 OFFLINE   jbf

jbf

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 09:16 PM

I don't have SWM (yet) but I do use power line internet connectors. I think they are limited by your internet speed, in my case 3mbps, so I can only use them to record VOD. I also use the same unit to update the software on my LG TV. I have WiFi in the house but it is terrible in this location. Be that as it may I would much prefer a direct connection to my router, but that isn't possible either.

Mine are D-Link and have worked fine for ages. However, I understand there can be serious problems if everything isn't on the same circuit.

Did you have to use a static IP address in order to get it to connect? I have tried everything to get it to connect to the Internet but no success . Router shows it is connected to network , but still getting error 22.

#8 OFFLINE   Half Decaf

Half Decaf

• Registered
  • 22 posts
  • LocationPhoenix

Posted 09 September 2013 - 02:35 PM

The DECAs are built into the HR24s.

If you switch to a SWM system with only 2 HR24-500s, the only physical change would be to swap out the LNB on your dish with a SWM LNB and one of your existing two lines to one of the HR24s would be modified to accept a Power Inserter that would be plugged into an outlet in that room, the second HR24 would then be disconnected from the coax into Sat 2 in and both HR24s be reset to use the single input to run both tuners. 

If you have DirecTV also activate Whole Home all that would be needed would be a splitter by the receiver nearest your router (ours is in the Master bedroom) and a coax from the splitter to the Cinema Connection Kit and an ethernet cable from the CCK to your router.

All inside, no holes in the wall, nothing hanging off the siding, Only visible change outside would be the LNB in front of your dish.

Just to clarify, if you also have whole home DVR, your first HR24 would be connected to an external DECA unit, so you would not use the built-in DECA, right?

Watch this space for even more exciting news

#9 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 09 September 2013 - 02:39 PM

Just to clarify, if you also have whole home DVR, your first HR24 would be connected to an external DECA unit, so you would not use the built-in DECA, right?

Not correct.

The HR24 uses its internal DECA for Whole Home. If you want your receivers to have access to the Internet or your home network, you will also need a Cinema Connection Kit (CCK), which is essentially a DECA and a Power Inserter (PI / power supply) that connects via Ethernet back to your router. If you have a Genie, you can forgo the CCK by plugging an Ethernet cable directly into the Genie. The Genie has the ability to bridge its internal DECA to its Ethernet port and can act as a CCK.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#10 ONLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,865 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 03:39 PM

I tried using powerline adapters for about 18 months and I can tell you they did not make me happy at all. Go SWM, young man.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#11 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,655 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 09 September 2013 - 04:27 PM

I tried using powerline adapters for about 18 months and I can tell you they did not make me happy at all. Go SWM, young man.

Right on.  I echo the other guy's opinion on PLs.  they are terrible

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#12 OFFLINE   jbf

jbf

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:14 PM

Ok. Lets say I go to the SWM method, how does the Internet hookup?
Router is in office, so running a Ethernet cable directly to receiver is out. I heard wireless is too slow. That is why I originally chose the PL adapters. SWM seems to be the way to go, but still unsure right now if best for me.

#13 OFFLINE   JasTay4224

JasTay4224

• Unregistered / Not Logged In
  • 40 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:18 PM

Internet hookup is done via BBDeca with a coax run to your router or the wireless CCK which is a dual band " router " for lack of better term. It is not slow. That is a myth.

PL Adaptors are garbage.
HR34 / (5) HR24's / HR21-Pro Model / WVB + (1) C41W

#14 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,655 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:52 PM

the wireless CCK which is a dual band " router " for lack of better term. It is not slow. That is a myth.

PL Adaptors are garbage.

is true, is not slow, but unreliable, but a better choice over PL

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#15 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,112 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:38 AM

Power line adapters are a great theory that just sucks in reality for all kinds of reasons, not the least of which is all the interference that's put into the power lines by everyone from Edison to your microwave. I go all wireless with boosters in every room for everything before I'd even consider power line,

Protected By... spam firewall...And...