Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

MPEG4 Encoding Issue, Who to contact?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   terryfoster

terryfoster

Godfather

• Registered
  • 353 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 02:38 PM

So, I got just as much attention and help from the front line technical support as I expected.  Here's the issue: WTNH has some kind of encoding issue on the DirecTV side that's been happening on and off over the past month or more.  It looks like the frame rate is too low or something.  I've checked it personally with a neighbor who has Cox cable and I didn't see it there (WTNH also says they don't see any problems).  This is definitely a problem on DirecTV's side.

This is the only channel with this problem and all receivers are affected on different HDTVs.

I was told this issue was moved to the next level tech support (who will run some tests on my equipment), but I don't feel confident that the right people have been contacted. 

Is there a better contact avenue with such a problem?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,313 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 02:52 PM

I assume your not watching over the air when this is happening. Can you see if you see it on over the air? Could make a difference. Also, there's a specific thread area in this forum that's dedicated to posting about specific issues for specific stations in ever DMA in the country. I'd post there as well, I think they check them once in a while.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

#3 OFFLINE   terryfoster

terryfoster

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 353 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 02:55 PM

Right, I'm not watching OTA (I can't pick up their station with my indoor antenna), but also I don't see this at a friend's house with cable.  I'll also post this in the appropriate locals forum, but it looked like the last post was from 2010.

#4 ONLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,156 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 07 September 2013 - 03:06 PM

The thing is any responsible broadcast station monitors the feeds of the various carriers re-transmitting their signal, so if its a problem on DIRECTV's end, WTNH should see it.

WTNH's management and engineering also has the specific contact information to the relevant broadcast operations personal at DIRECTV for such signal problems.

It's confidential and they may not give it out to you of course, but will use if they see this issue on their monitors.  

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#5 OFFLINE   terryfoster

terryfoster

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 353 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 03:10 PM

It's a LIN station, so I'm not sure "responsible" applies...  but I'll definitely be following up with WTNH on Monday.(or maybe try today).

EDIT:

I called today, went with an oldie but goodie and asked for Master Control after reaching the news department.  They reached their contact at DirecTV and after some brief convincing that it wasn't a problem with my equipment, they also saw the problem and it appears to be fixed.  Now I know the avenue to fix this if it happens again!  (Also, it didn't seem as if they had a monitor since they went directly to DirecTV).

Edited by terryfoster, 07 September 2013 - 03:35 PM.

#6 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,313 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 03:14 PM

Right, I'm not watching OTA (I can't pick up their station with my indoor antenna), but also I don't see this at a friend's house with cable. I'll also post this in the appropriate locals forum, but it looked like the last post was from 2010.

Here's the catch on a lot of things. The cable company may get the signal different than DIRECTV does. One may be fiber direct the other over the air antenna. Who knows. So that may help seeing it good but not be the final answer in the weak link.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

#7 OFFLINE   terryfoster

terryfoster

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 353 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 03:31 PM

Here's the catch on a lot of things. The cable company may get the signal different than DIRECTV does. One may be fiber direct the other over the air antenna. Who knows. So that may help seeing it good but not be the final answer in the weak link.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

True, but from what I understand rarely is there a separate encoder on the station's side.  It's been my understanding that regardless of the transmission method it's still fed through the same broadcast encoder, so if your station has several subchannels, you get the same crappy picture from everyone.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...