Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

What's the point of Espn Gameplan?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   scarylibrary23

scarylibrary23

Legend

• Registered
  • 153 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 03:59 PM

What's the point of ESPN Gameplan when most of the content is in the free and clear when you have sports pack. Also they are in HD on the rsn's not on the gameplan. Just seems like a rip off if you ask me.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,130 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:33 PM

Not everyone lives in an area where a local station or RSN picks up one of the syndicated Raycom, ACC or SEC packages. And not every game is available with the sports pack for example Austin Peay State at Vanderbilt and Arkansas State at Auburn are currently blacked out on every RSN.

They also carry some non syndicated games that are only available on a local or a cable only station like today's South Dakota vs Kansas game or games that are only available in market via PPV and not on any RSN like today's Stamford at Arkansas, Southeast Missouri State at Ole Miss or Sam Houston State at Texas A&M games.

Edited by KyL416, 07 September 2013 - 05:42 PM.

#3 OFFLINE   scarylibrary23

scarylibrary23

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 153 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 06:35 PM

I know not all of them aren't on the rsn's and yes some are blacked out. It just seems the value in the package isn't there.

#4 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,296 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 07 September 2013 - 07:10 PM

That's much better than calling it a ripoff. To some, the package has very high value. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#5 OFFLINE   ejbvt

ejbvt

AllStar

• Registered
  • 463 posts
  • LocationNW VT

Posted 07 September 2013 - 09:10 PM

It's SD. In 2013. I think rip-off was accurate.

• bixler likes this

DIRECTV: Genie (HR34) w/AM21 and 1 client.
AT&T: U-Verse Internet, Motorola modem and Samsung Galaxy S3 cell.
LG 42" (1080p, 120 Hz, 3D, Smart TV), Samsung 32" (1080p, 60 Hz)
Denon AVR591, Panasonic Blu Ray, Magnavox DVD player, Philips VCR, Terk HDTVo.

#6 OFFLINE   jceman

jceman

Legend

• Registered
  • 261 posts
  • LocationNorth of Daytona Intl. Speedway

Posted 07 September 2013 - 10:03 PM

Not everyone lives in an area where a local station or RSN picks up one of the syndicated Raycom, ACC or SEC packages. And not every game is available with the sports pack for example Austin Peay State at Vanderbilt and Arkansas State at Auburn are currently blacked out on every RSN.

They also carry some non syndicated games that are only available on a local or a cable only station like today's South Dakota vs Kansas game or games that are only available in market via PPV and not on any RSN like today's Stamford at Arkansas, Southeast Missouri State at Ole Miss or Sam Houston State at Texas A&M games.

I don't know where you are getting your information from, but here in Central Florida at least two of the games you state were either blacked out on every RSN or not available on any RSN. specifically SHSU/TA&M were on one and Auburn game was on FoxSports Florida. 

I also do not see any value in ESPN Gameplan for us.

Opinions voiced by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect that of any other person or entity, living or dead, real or fictional, on this or several other planets in this universe or any other.
Close cover before striking. Bridge may freeze before road. Your mileage may vary.

#7 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,130 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 07 September 2013 - 11:24 PM

I don't know where you are getting your information from, but here in Central Florida at least two of the games you state were either blacked out on every RSN or not available on any RSN. specifically SHSU/TA&M were on one and Auburn game was on FoxSports Florida.

I was referring to out of market viewers with the Sports Pack, since FSN Florida is one of your local RSNs it wasn't blacked out.

ESPN Game Plan is an out of market package, it's mainly for those who don't live inside the territory of a team or a conference that is on the package. If you're in the territory most of the games will be available on a local RSN or a local station as ESPN, Raycom and FSN syndicate the games locally, otherwise it's on PPV.

Edited by KyL416, 07 September 2013 - 11:42 PM.

#8 OFFLINE   milton

milton

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 216 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 07:26 AM

What's ridiculous is that buying Gameplan doesn't at least open up the HD RSN feed from blackout.  This seems like a simple no-brainer.

Gameplan should be like NHLCI, MLBEI, NBALP and use the RSN feed when possible.  When it's not on an RSN, then SD-only.

• bixler likes this

#9 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,068 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 07:48 AM

What's ridiculous is that buying Gameplan doesn't at least open up the HD RSN feed from blackout.

Blackouts are blackouts no matter what extra pack you've purchased and how much you've paid.  Blackouts are controlled by the League.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#10 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,390 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 08 September 2013 - 08:00 AM

It would be a rip off if you had to buy it.

Don't like it? Don't buy it.

And if you haven't bought it, you haven't been ripped off.
  • fleckrj likes this

#11 OFFLINE   shyvoodoo

shyvoodoo

AllStar

• Registered
  • 109 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 12:25 PM

Instead of buying the package, just watch the games through the watchespn app or espn3.com..
My directv service is bundled with verizon internet. I just sign in to espn3.com through
My verizon account and watch all the games on gameplan through there...
All I Want:

Universal Sports HD.
Pac 12/SEC Networks.

#12 OFFLINE   milton

milton

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 216 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 12:57 PM

Blackouts are blackouts no matter what extra pack you've purchased and how much you've paid.  Blackouts are controlled by the League.

But once you've paid for Gameplan, can't Directv use whatever feed it wants to get you that game --- even if it's a feed that Directv already has?

#13 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,130 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 08 September 2013 - 12:59 PM

But once you've paid for Gameplan, can't Directv use whatever feed it wants to get you that game --- even if it's a feed that Directv already has?

Nope, unlike Center Ice, League Pass and Extra Innings which reuse RSNs, ESPN distributes the feeds for Game Plan and Full Court directly, unfortunately they still use 6 SD channels to do it.

#14 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 08 September 2013 - 01:07 PM

Like was said before, if you don't like it don't buy it. Obviously there is some value to someone or it would go bust. I'd imagine that sports bars alone could probably keep it profitable.

It's also useful on cable, because it's distributed as a package of separate channels, since most cable companies don't have every RSN in the country on their system

#15 OFFLINE   jerrylove56

jerrylove56

Godfather

• Registered
  • 411 posts
  • LocationNorth Alabama

Posted 08 September 2013 - 01:30 PM

Strange thing is I counted games for our area and I thought the same thing.  (Seems package would be discounted or cheaper)

Games were on (ABC, CBS-sub, Fox, ESPN(1,2,U - early and late games) Fox Sports, Fox Sports South (early, midday, late), BT10(1,2,3,4,5)  May have been even more. No way would I pay when all this was on.

#16 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,130 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 08 September 2013 - 02:03 PM

You're in Alabama, the heart of the SEC territory, for you most of the SEC games that would otherwise be available on ESPN Game Plan are carried locally via syndication or PPV. However if you're an SEC fan living outside of the territory and none of your local stations pick up the SEC games you'll need Game Plan. Where I live MSG usually picks up the main syndicated SEC game, but we still need Game Plan for the secondary game and any of the PPV games. ESPN 3 is also an option, however not every ISP carries it, and if you have Time Warner Cable/Brighthouse for internet (like most of NYC), you can't use ESPN3 without a television subscription to a package with ESPN.

When it comes to Game Plan, Big Ten doesn't count anymore since they got their own network which carries any games that didn't get picked up by ESPN, ABC, Fox or other network, Pac 12 did the same last year, and the same will be for SEC next year when their network launches.

However if you're a fan of MAC, ACC, AAC (the old Big East), Big 12 or Sun Belt you will still need Game Plan if you live outside of the territory and your team isn't playing nationally every week. Unfortunately with the way College Football scheduling works, you don't even know who will be carrying the games until less than 2 weeks in advanced.

#17 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,068 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:32 AM

No.  Again, blackouts are blackouts and set by the League (In this specific example the NCAA).  DirecTV can't go around a blackout just because you paid a little more money.  If they did they'd lose the ability to carry the games at all.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#18 OFFLINE   miss_my_utv

miss_my_utv

AllStar

• Registered
  • 91 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:14 AM

However if you're a fan of MAC, ACC, AAC (the old Big East), Big 12 or Sun Belt you will still need Game Plan if you live outside of the territory and your team isn't playing nationally every week. Unfortunately with the way College Football scheduling works, you don't even know who will be carrying the games until less than 2 weeks in advanced.

This!

I'm in CA.  Want to follow ACC (FSU).  For non-national ACC games, Sports Pack does me no good, since the games are blacked out on the RSNs (e.g., Sun Sports or whatever it's called now) out here - even the damn replays!.  So, Game Plan was the only way to get them, until ESPN3 came along.

I've finally got a fast enough internet connection, and a computer that I can easily connect to my TV (I have no desire to watch on a PC) that ESPN3 is a viable option (replays - seldom watch anything 'live').  Combine that with the horrible picture quality on Game Plan (I could live w/ SD, reluctantly, but it is often a very low-quality SD feed), and it just wasn't worth the $s anymore.

If ESPN3 wasn't an option, I'd still need Game Plan for my situation - which is what KyL416 described.

#19 OFFLINE   milton

milton

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 216 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 04:40 PM

No.  Again, blackouts are blackouts and set by the League (In this specific example the NCAA).  DirecTV can't go around a blackout just because you paid a little more money.  If they did they'd lose the ability to carry the games at all.

You don't seem to understand my question. It was addressed by Kyl416 above.  My question was why can't Directv use RSN feeds to deliver Gameplan games like they do for every other sports package?  (When Directv delivers a Yankees game to MLBEI by merely opening up the YES feed, they aren't circumventing blackout rules.)

#20 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 09 September 2013 - 06:07 PM

You don't seem to understand my question. It was addressed by Kyl416 above.  My question was why can't Directv use RSN feeds to deliver Gameplan games like they do for every other sports package?  (When Directv delivers a Yankees game to MLBEI by merely opening up the YES feed, they aren't circumventing blackout rules.)

Because that's not how ESPN sells it.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...