Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

What's the point of Espn Gameplan?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   ejbvt

ejbvt

AllStar

• Registered
  • 447 posts
  • LocationCentral NC

Posted 11 September 2013 - 05:48 PM

Most of the game plan games are on the Sports Pack. I know not all, but most are. Who wants to pay extra to watch Johnny football be an idiot in SD? All of the games are "Free" online, in HD, or on RSNs also in HD. Explain the value. 

DIRECTV: Genie (HR34) w/AM21 and 1 client.
AT&T: U-Verse Internet, Motorola modem and Samsung Galaxy S3 cell.
LG 42" (1080p, 120 Hz, 3D, Smart TV), Samsung 32" (1080p, 60 Hz)
Denon AVR591, Panasonic Blu Ray, Magnavox DVD player, Philips VCR, Terk HDTVo.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,140 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 11 September 2013 - 09:15 PM

Most of the game plan games are on the Sports Pack. I know not all, but most are. Who wants to pay extra to watch Johnny football be an idiot in SD? All of the games are "Free" online, in HD, or on RSNs also in HD. Explain the value. 

When you say "free" are you referring to some bootleg stream site?

And no, not all the games are on an RSN in HD, Not even all the games are on an  RSN at all. Game Plan includes games that are on local channels only and PPV in the home market. They also include RSNs that are not on DirecTV or cable systems outside of certain geographic areas such as Charter/Comcast Sports South. I would imagine the primary audience for Game Plan are sports bars and restaurants, and they probably make pretty good money on that market. Hardly costs anything extra to sell it to regular consumers on residential accounts, so why not? You don't have to buy it if you don't want to.

Edited by JosephB, 11 September 2013 - 09:17 PM.

#23 OFFLINE   ejbvt

ejbvt

AllStar

• Registered
  • 447 posts
  • LocationCentral NC

Posted 11 September 2013 - 09:28 PM

SEC Network is nationwide on MSG.

Big East Network is nationwide on MASN. 

(Both in HD with the sports pack)

I didn't say all, I said most. There are some exclusive games on ESPN GP, but not enough to warrant the cost or lack of HD. The other posters are dead on - the feed is the same for the RSNs, and are in HD, so why not pass those through like every other package? If ESPN doesn't allow it, that's just dumb. When Andrew Luck was still at Stanford, I didn't have Directv. Time Warner let me buy JUST that game, and it was in HD. I think it was $5 or something. IF TWC can do it, there's NO REASON why Directv can't. I did it twice with them. I am assuming they did something with ESPN3, since the game was on there. I would love a channel like 205 for a few of the ESPN3 games. With SO MANY games on there, something needs to happen to get those games on real TV. It will never look as good streaming as it does on real TV. Last weekend's selection of NCAA games on TV was so boring, so many blowouts. The good games were all on ESPN3, but the quality is not that good.

#24 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,235 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 10:48 PM

I didn't say all, I said most. There are some exclusive games on ESPN GP, but not enough to warrant the cost or lack of HD. The other posters are dead on - the feed is the same for the RSNs, and are in HD, so why not pass those through like every other package? If ESPN doesn't allow it, that's just dumb. When Andrew Luck was still at Stanford, I didn't have Directv. Time Warner let me buy JUST that game, and it was in HD. I think it was $5 or something. IF TWC can do it, there's NO REASON why Directv can't. I did it twice with them. I am assuming they did something with ESPN3, since the game was on there. I would love a channel like 205 for a few of the ESPN3 games. With SO MANY games on there, something needs to happen to get those games on real TV. It will never look as good streaming as it does on real TV. Last weekend's selection of NCAA games on TV was so boring, so many blowouts. The good games were all on ESPN3, but the quality is not that good.

I think Directv wanted to do gameplan in HD back in 2010 but ESPN said no likely to not piss off cable systems. Likey the same thing for remapping / pulling in feeds on there own.

I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#25 OFFLINE   terryfoster

terryfoster

Godfather

• Registered
  • 353 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 06:59 AM

One of the biggest reasons ESPN won't allow DirecTV to use RSN feeds is the lost ad revenue and the sudden boost in ad revenue to some "competing" RSN.

What's also bad about GamePlan is that not all ESPN3 games are available.  I count over 20 games from GP conferences that are ESPN3 exclusives.

Here are the GP game counts by conference (home team) after ~3 weeks:

SEC: 13

ACC: 6

Big 12: 1

AAC: 1

MAC: 1

WAC: 1

Big South: 2

Big Sky: 1

Unless ESPN plans on bumping their coverage without contract changes with the ACC, Big 12, and the AAC, this package "folds" next year.  It might actually cost ESPN more money to keep this package alive than it would be to either provide this small handful of games for free to providers or break a portion of their conference TV contracts (assuming their contracts allow for the possible the demise of GP).

Also, to be clear, blackouts would be at the discretion of the conferences (probably more so their syndication partners), not the league. 

#26 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,140 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 12 September 2013 - 10:06 AM

I doubt it folds. Give that you can buy one-day passes and the fact that sports bars are a thing that exist in this country, there will be demand for the product.

#27 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,800 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 07:43 PM

I think his point if it olds is due to the sec Channel. I don't think there will be any sec games in. Game plan starting next year so the number if games dwindles to almost nothing.

I woulda be surprised if deals with FOX and CBS sports channels could get the rest if the games and all game plan games could end up on national channels.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

#28 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,140 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 12 September 2013 - 09:06 PM

There will still be a few games, especially early in the season, that are PPV in-market only. I would think that "Game Plan" would stick around at least as a way to distribute those nationally.

#29 OFFLINE   terryfoster

terryfoster

Godfather

• Registered
  • 353 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 09:23 PM

Right, with every SEC home game being a nationally televised game next year, they won't be found on GP. So ESPN is left with very little compelling programming for this package resulting in minimal demand. This means the cost to produce this package may be higher than the revenue generated which is why I can see GP folding.

These conferences have some long standing contracts with ESPN, so FOX and CBS are technically out (except for that whole possible broken contract thing if they do kill GP).

#30 OFFLINE   Sandra

Sandra

Legend

• Registered
  • 288 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 08:07 AM

MSG and MASN are available nationwide for games that are part of ESPN Gameplan, even if you don't subscribe to GP?

Sandra

#31 ONLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,664 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 13 September 2013 - 10:06 AM

Right, with every SEC home game being a nationally televised game next year, they won't be found on GP. So ESPN is left with very little compelling programming for this package resulting in minimal demand. This means the cost to produce this package may be higher than the revenue generated which is why I can see GP folding.

These conferences have some long standing contracts with ESPN, so FOX and CBS are technically out (except for that whole possible broken contract thing if they do kill GP).

Not sure what the marginal cost of producing gameplan is. They don't do gameplan only games. All they do is repackage them. The cost is probably very small.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#32 OFFLINE   ejbvt

ejbvt

AllStar

• Registered
  • 447 posts
  • LocationCentral NC

Posted 13 September 2013 - 01:20 PM

MSG and MASN are available nationwide for games that are part of ESPN Gameplan, even if you don't subscribe to GP?

Sandra

Yes, if you have the Sportspack. The SEC Network on RSNs is not blacked out for me and I have the SEC Network on 2 local channels. MASN is a local RSN to me, so i can't accurately comment if the Big East Network is nationwide or not on MASN.

#33 OFFLINE   larryharry59

larryharry59

Mentor

• Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 11:53 AM

Most of the game plan games are on the Sports Pack. I know not all, but most are. Who wants to pay extra to watch Johnny football be incredible in SD? All of the games are "Free" online, in HD, or on RSNs also in HD. Explain the value. 

Fixed it for you.

#34 OFFLINE   ejbvt

ejbvt

AllStar

• Registered
  • 447 posts
  • LocationCentral NC

Posted 14 September 2013 - 06:00 PM

He should be banned from football. Another example of douchy rich oil families getting their way. It sickens me that he's on the field taunting other players by signing in the air, etc. He got paid, we all know it. It's against the rules but he gets his way. 

This site needs to stop changing my posts.

#35 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,928 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 14 September 2013 - 06:10 PM

This site needs to stop changing my posts.

The "site" is agnostic as to what you post. Occasionally a responder to a post will change some words you originally wrote for effect. 

Relax and have some fun!

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...