Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Why won't Direct Tv send me a HR24 for me to install?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   i49mobile

i49mobile

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 10:10 AM

I have two hr20-700 boxes and I use the OTA feature, so I have to have an Am21 if I upgrade.. I also am not using SWM. I called directv trying to get them to send me a new HR24 so I could install it myself. They told me I would have to have a direct tv installer come out. I don't want to wait and fool with the installer when I know how to connect up the HR24. Direct tv told me to order myself and select self install and this errored out. What can I do? Is it worth it to replace th hr20-700 boxes? I don't want to mess with an installer.

Also Direct tv made me do another two contract when I just switched an old Sony direct tv analog box for a H24. Direct tv sent me an email wanting the Sony to be disconnected since they do not support it anymore. Is this contract extension right

Steve
Direct tv customer since Nov 1994

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,395 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 08 September 2013 - 10:23 AM

Yup, the contract extension is correct.  I think.  No reason to avoid a truck rolling to your house.  You might get more out of that than you think.  I always insist on a truck and I always get a morning window.  For instance, if they send you a 24 it might be a 24-100.  If you get a truck to roll, it might have a 24-500 or a 24-200 on the truck.  I think both models are a better choice than the 24-100.  

Also, the 24s are a lot more picky about what you feed them than the 20-700s are.  You'd probably get a new LNB and a realignment of your dish.  I get this done at least once a year.  

Rich 

#3 OFFLINE   HighTechRedneck

HighTechRedneck

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts
  • LocationSouthwest of Paradise

Posted 08 September 2013 - 10:41 AM

Rich has a very good point. If you can make the time for a morning install (on a weekend if you have those off, or whenever), it's worth having the guy come out because you never know what good things may come your way.

That being said... If DirecTV's reps are telling you they can't drop ship the unit, and DirecTV.com error's out when processing trying to drop ship a unit, my best guess (which is definitely a guess) is that there's some flag in DirecTVs system that is set to prevent you from being drop-shipped a box. Maybe one of your STB's is sending back that there is a signal issue? Maybe it's a finance issue? Couldn't tell ya for sure.

Intermittent DirecTV customer since 1995.

Started service with a Single LNB 18" Dish (self-install) & 2 RCA DRD222RD's. Dunno what happened to the first one, but threw the other one away in 2012 because it was no longer grounded properly (quite a shock).

Today I have a SWM-LNB (for now), and leased (1) HR34, (2) C41's, and (1) HR22-100.

#4 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,835 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 08 September 2013 - 10:54 AM

I have two hr20-700 boxes and I use the OTA feature, so I have to have an Am21 if I upgrade... . . . .

Steve
Direct tv customer since Nov 1994

You don't mention if they're network.

So you might as well take this opportunity to upgrade to Whole-Home SWiM, as newer Receivers, like the H25 & HR34/44, are SWiM ONLY.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#5 OFFLINE   i49mobile

i49mobile

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 11:27 AM

The units are at a farm house that I have that is extremely rural. I come and from there,so I don't want to mess with an installer. I had a new Lnb, realignment, and new multi switch installed about two months ago by a direct tv freelancer. Is there much difference between the hr 20 and hr24. I have a 2TB Esata connected to one of my hr20 boxes.

Steve

#6 OFFLINE   otaliema

otaliema

AllStar

• Registered
  • 171 posts
  • LocationMid-west USA

Posted 08 September 2013 - 11:45 AM

Your best bet than would be go through a web site like solid signal to get the unit they will drop ship you a unit with out problems. 

I would bet the D* system is reading the order as additional not replacement so it's flagging for an installer. Or your switch is not registered in thier systems so I thinks you need one which will require a tech to come out as well. 

I am a former DIRECTV employee however all statements opinions, views, expressions, etc, are entirely my own even if logic says otherwise.

They DO NOT reflect on DIRECTV and or any partner, affiliated company's, polices, processes, opinions, or things that are not listed here.

Set up. HR24-200, HR24-200, HR22-200, H23-600. Whole Home, BBCCK, SL3 SWiM.

I have found that working with computers is like working with a toddler, sometimes there is no reason for the melt down, just keep on moving forward.

#7 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,278 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 08 September 2013 - 11:54 AM

If you want a 24, you're only sure way of getting one is through a third-party retailer. 

If you order an HD DVR through DirecTV, you might very well end up with a refurbished HR21 or HR22, or even a refurbished HR24.  They treat all the HR2X DVRs as the same.

An installer will probably have new 24s on his truck, but no guarantee.

And the recordings on your external drive are tied to that one DVR. You get rid of that, and you'll lose all those recordings.

If the installers found your extremely rural farmhouse for your initial install, they can find it again.

#8 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,516 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 08 September 2013 - 12:10 PM

Also Direct tv made me do another two contract when I just switched an old Sony direct tv analog box for a H24.

DIRECTV receivers have been digital since the beginning. There's no such beastie as an analog DBS receiver.

The H24 is an HD receiver so DIRECTV views it as an upgrade to the SD Sony it replaced. Whether you should have been rewarded with a commitment depends on where your local channels come from. If they are only available from 99W or 101W, then you probably should NOT have been saddled with a commitment.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#9 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,068 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 12:43 PM

It sounds like maybe you only have one account and are using receivers in two locations (you say you have an H24 and imply that is not in the same place), that is technically a breach of the DirecTv terms of service, although if you only use the service in one location at a time, they turn a blind eye to this. If I am wrong I apologize.

But in any case, it's highly likely that your current configuration isn't correct in DirecTv's computer system, and when you ask for the DVR (remember you can't actually order an HR24, you get what they send you) the system shows your system won't handle it, so they want to send an installer. If that's the case, they won't send you one for self-installation.

#10 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,395 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 08 September 2013 - 12:50 PM

It sounds like maybe you only have one account and are using receivers in two locations (you say you have an H24 and imply that is not in the same place), that is technically a breach of the DirecTv terms of service, although if you only use the service in one location at a time, they turn a blind eye to this. If I am wrong I apologize.

But in any case, it's highly likely that your current configuration isn't correct in DirecTv's computer system, and when you ask for the DVR (remember you can't actually order an HR24, you get what they send you) the system shows your system won't handle it, so they want to send an installer. If that's the case, they won't send you one for self-installation.

Just reread his post and it would seem you are correct.  Huh.  I just "reread" the first sentence I wrote and it can be taken two ways.  What I meant was that I had reread his post.  The sentence could also be taken as a command.  Reread is a word to be careful of, I guess.  Where's Laxguy when you need him?

Rich

#11 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,647 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 08 September 2013 - 01:01 PM

For the Sony, if you had replaced it with a similar receiver still supported, like a D12, that wouldn't have had a contract. You also upgraded that jobs to HD, so that has a contract.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

#12 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,908 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 08 September 2013 - 01:02 PM

Right here! Not understanding the conundrum, but if I can grammar* someone real well, I'm game!

*Never verb a noun!!

One word sentences? Eliminate.

(Above are two of my favorite "rules" of grammar)

And: A preposition is what you're not supposed to end a sentence up with. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#13 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,395 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 08 September 2013 - 01:12 PM

Right here! Not understanding the conundrum, but if I can grammar* someone real well, I'm game!

*Never verb a noun!!

One word sentences? Eliminate.

(Above are two of my favorite "rules" of grammar)

And: A preposition is what you're not supposed to end a sentence up with. 

Does that fit into the "disrespect" thing?  Like when someone says, "Joe disrespected me"?  I never heard so much use of "disrespected" as I have in the last couple years.

Rich 

#14 OFFLINE   i49mobile

i49mobile

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 01:39 PM

All of my receivers are at the farm house. When I switched the farm house to HD I got the same guy to install my televisions and upgrade my old direct tv SD stuff to HD. I bought all of my HD receivers and HD dvrs at best buy and circuit city. The H25 replaced the lone SD box that I had a couple of weeks ago.

Thanks for the help.

#15 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,068 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 02:03 PM

All of my receivers are at the farm house. When I switched the farm house to HD I got the same guy to install my televisions and upgrade my old direct tv SD stuff to HD. I bought all of my HD receivers and HD dvrs at best buy and circuit city. The H25 replaced the lone SD box that I had a couple of weeks ago.

Thanks for the help.

So it's probably the case that DirecTv don't know what your setup is. That would explain their reluctance to send you a DVR.

#16 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,908 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 08 September 2013 - 02:09 PM

Does that fit into the "disrespect" thing?  Like when someone says, "Joe disrespected me"?  I never heard so much use of "disrespected" as I have in the last couple years.

Rich 

Yes, I believe it does. I hear it mostly as "dissed". So, verbing a noun, indeed!

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#17 OFFLINE   i49mobile

i49mobile

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 02:25 PM

Texasbrit- direct tv's web site shows exactly what is installed. So who knows with their system. Think I would notice a big difference between. Hr20-700 and hr-24?

#18 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,278 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 08 September 2013 - 03:11 PM

Depends on how observant you are. But again, if you order from DirecTV, you won't necessarily get a 24.

#19 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,068 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 09:50 PM

Texasbrit- direct tv's web site shows exactly what is installed. So who knows with their system. Think I would notice a big difference between. Hr20-700 and hr-24?

HR24 is faster, but there will be no difference in picture quality. The HR20 is IMHO a better DVR than the other HR2x boxes, except the HR24 (I have both)

#20 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,429 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:21 AM

Yes.  They know exactly what you have.  What Texasbrit meant is that their ordering/fulfillment systems don't differentiate between any of the various HD DVR's.  They can't order an HR24 vs an HR20.  They order an HD DVR and the warehouse ships an HD DVR.  The model that you would receive is entirely a matter of what is next in line to ship from the warehouse.

spam firewall