Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Indoor Antenna Recommendation?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   corn4ahead

corn4ahead

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 10:39 AM

I live about 25 miles away from the nearest CBS, FOX, and ABC stations. I verified this information on tvfool. I have tried two different OTA indoor antennas from Walmart. One was an RCA one and the other was a GE amplified one. They both pick up ABC but neither picked up the FOX or CBS station. Does anyone have any recommendations of indoor antennas that may do the job. I need to have an indoor one because I live in an apartment. Thanks for your help. 

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RBA

RBA

Godfather

• Registered
  • 360 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 10:50 AM

I live about 25 miles away from the nearest CBS, FOX, and ABC stations. I verified this information on tvfool. I have tried two different OTA indoor antennas from Walmart. One was an RCA one and the other was a GE amplified one. They both pick up ABC but neither picked up the FOX or CBS station. Does anyone have any recommendations of indoor antennas that may do the job. I need to have an indoor one because I live in an apartment. Thanks for your help. 

Ok besides in an apartment, where do you live it helps to know what you are trying to receive.  Can you post your TV fool or at least give us a zipcode?  What is your building constructed of, 1st floor, 2nd floor etc. what direction are the broadcast towers from you?  Are you by any chance looking to get signals through the walls of another apartment?

Edited by RBA, 08 September 2013 - 10:53 AM.

#3 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,454 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 08 September 2013 - 11:50 AM

Recently, Consumer Reports did testing on 10 popular indoor antennas, both amplified and unampliified.  They found the RCA ANT1650 Amplified and Antennas Direct CSM1-XG amplified antenna to give the best performance. The Antnnas Direct antenna is available directly, on Amazon and at some club stores..

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Samsung UN60F7100 60" LED 3D TV; Samsung  BD-H5900 3D Blu-Ray DVD player; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVo Roamio Plus DVR, Toshiba HD-A3 HD DVD player.
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#4 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,823 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 08 September 2013 - 12:19 PM

As RBA hints, line-of-sight is probably going to come into play. If you can't see a good distance out of any of your windows towards the broadcast towers, an indoor antenna (even the best one) probably isn't going to help much.

You may have to live with not being able to get most of your OTA channels.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#5 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,954 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 08 September 2013 - 12:46 PM

Recently, Consumer Reports did testing on 10 popular indoor antennas, both amplified and unampliified.  They found the RCA ANT1650 Amplified and Antennas Direct CSM1-XG amplified antenna to give the best performance. The Antnnas Direct antenna is available directly, on Amazon and at some club stores..

All that testing is pointless and misleading since there is no one size fits all when it comes to antennas. There are way too many variables that can change from house to house in some cases, terrain issues, distance from the tower, VHF vs UHF, obstructions, multipath interference, co-channel and adjacent channel interference, airports, etc. Throw an indoor antenna into the mix then you have to deal with where the antenna is located, your roofing and siding material, how many floors you have, any potential sources of interference among other things.

Like RBA said, it would help if the OP would post a link to their TV Fool readout (hopefully they entered a height so it can account for which floor they're on), if their apartment is facing the towers or if its in the opposite direction as well as if their apartment is one of the taller buildings in the immediate area or if they're surrounded by other tall buildings.

Edited by KyL416, 08 September 2013 - 12:56 PM.

#6 ONLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,246 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 08 September 2013 - 02:21 PM

I use the HD Blade from Solid Signal.

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#7 OFFLINE   corn4ahead

corn4ahead

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 09:58 PM

Ok besides in an apartment, where do you live it helps to know what you are trying to receive.  Can you post your TV fool or at least give us a zipcode?  What is your building constructed of, 1st floor, 2nd floor etc. what direction are the broadcast towers from you?  Are you by any chance looking to get signals through the walls of another apartment?

It's in 44240. The broadcasting towers are northwest of me near the Cleveland area. My building is aluminum siding and its on the first floor. Its actually a garage of a house converted into an apartment so its not in a complex. I have a relatively clear view to the northwest but the south is obstructed by trees and such.

Let me also say that with my current antenna, I am still picking up like 30 some channels, just not CBS and FOX which is rather troubling. 

Tvfool link.

http://www.tvfool.co...=46ae5a90b86740

Edited by corn4ahead, 08 September 2013 - 10:08 PM.

#8 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,954 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 08 September 2013 - 10:40 PM

Cleveland's Fox and CBS affiliates are VHF stations, based on the TV fool output you'll have a hard time getting them with an indoor antenna, especially on the first floor.

Make sure your antenna is a combo VHF/UHF model and try putting it higher up like on a bookshelf if you can.

Edited by KyL416, 08 September 2013 - 10:41 PM.

#9 OFFLINE   RBA

RBA

Godfather

• Registered
  • 360 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:00 AM

Aluminum siding will decrease your signal considerably, the higher the better your reception will be.  Do you have access to the attic over the garage or even better the main house?  If you do Try an Antennacraft  HBU-22 UHF/VHF antenna it is less than 6ft and should be better than an indoor antenna.  Should be cheap on the internet and also available from Radio Shack. 

#10 OFFLINE   corn4ahead

corn4ahead

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:49 AM

No, I don't have any attic or anything like that. All I have is a tall shelf. I actually have a DirecTV dish but I'm trying to use an am21 off air tuner. So hypothetically I could get an outdoor antenna and attach it to the dish but then I would have to run another cable. Also, outdoor antennas are more than I want to spend. I'm trying to stay under $40 here.

#11 OFFLINE   RBA

RBA

Godfather

• Registered
  • 360 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 01:12 PM

No, I don't have any attic or anything like that. All I have is a tall shelf. I actually have a DirecTV dish but I'm trying to use an am21 off air tuner. So hypothetically I could get an outdoor antenna and attach it to the dish but then I would have to run another cable. Also, outdoor antennas are more than I want to spend. I'm trying to stay under $40 here.

A google search of HBU22 brought up ads from Summit Source  $26.95 to Newegg.com $37.19 at least 5 under $40. There is most likely an attic over the garage but access is in main house.  Take your current indoor antenna outside and extend the cable if needed then rescan to see how much signal you are loosing to the aluminum siding.  If you have Directv Fox and CBS should be part of your programming package.

Edited by RBA, 09 September 2013 - 01:23 PM.

#12 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:22 PM

You have stronger signal from the ESE toward Youngstown than you get from Cleveland, even though Cleveland is about 10 miles closer.

Without a real antenna outside up about 20-25 feet your reception will continue to be spotty.

With an indoor antenna, just a person walking around the room can adversely effect your signal and cause drop outs.

With your aluminum siding, well, that makes things even worse.

Find a way to place an antenna outside, maybe on a 10' pole or the like.

Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#13 OFFLINE   kenglish

kenglish

Icon

• Registered
  • 972 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah, USA

Posted 10 September 2013 - 07:49 AM

Also, on VHF, you are likely getting lots of interference from stuff indoors. Look at some of the inactive VHF channels (2-13) with the TV set for analog....you should see just "pure" snow. If you see jagged lines, chevrons, bars of darker/lighter static, you're seeing interference. Try eliminating the possible sources, one at a time. Most likely culprits are computers and their peripherals (routers, etc), and battery chargers and power supplies.

Some newer appliances may also cause interference.

Also, the TV itself can cause interference...try keepingthe antenna as far as possible from the set.

Edited by kenglish, 10 September 2013 - 07:50 AM.

#14 OFFLINE   corn4ahead

corn4ahead

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 03:19 PM

Aluminum siding will decrease your signal considerably, the higher the better your reception will be.  Do you have access to the attic over the garage or even better the main house?  If you do Try an Antennacraft  HBU-22 UHF/VHF antenna it is less than 6ft and should be better than an indoor antenna.  Should be cheap on the internet and also available from Radio Shack. 

Yeah, I see that. I just connected my antenna to a long coax cable and brought it outside and the stations came in so clear and crisp. All i did was hold the antenna above my head and that was the solution. So, I am thinking that the culprit is the aluminum siding.

So now here is my next question. What is a good, inexpensive outdoor antenna that is easy to install. (ie can just put it on a pole or screw into the side of the house)

#15 OFFLINE   RBA

RBA

Godfather

• Registered
  • 360 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 05:47 PM

Yeah, I see that. I just connected my antenna to a long coax cable and brought it outside and the stations came in so clear and crisp. All i did was hold the antenna above my head and that was the solution. So, I am thinking that the culprit is the aluminum siding.

So now here is my next question. What is a good, inexpensive outdoor antenna that is easy to install. (ie can just put it on a pole or screw into the side of the house)

Already told you HBU22 by antennacraft from $26

#16 OFFLINE   corn4ahead

corn4ahead

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 07:38 PM

Where can I install this? My landlord will not allow to be placed on roof.

Edited by corn4ahead, 10 September 2013 - 07:44 PM.

#17 OFFLINE   RBA

RBA

Godfather

• Registered
  • 360 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 07:51 PM

Your last line sounds like you already have the idea.

#18 OFFLINE   corn4ahead

corn4ahead

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 10:19 AM

How large is the HBU22. I havent bought it yet but it seems to be rather large...

#19 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:54 PM

I used to use a cyclone fence top pipe for a pole and screw it to the side of the house with about 2 feet of it stuck into the ground.

It is about 15 foot long pipe and it is galvanized.

Edit: these are shorter or maybe I used 2 of them since they have one end that will slide into the next one.

http://www.homedepot...32#.UjoF1L4o57g

Edited by jimmie57, 18 September 2013 - 01:59 PM.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#20 OFFLINE   corn4ahead

corn4ahead

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 07:18 PM

Anyone know anything about the RCA ANT700R indoor/outdoor amplified antenna. I can pick it up at Walmart and it looks very compact in size. What do you all think of that?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...