Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Genie and mini genie - wireless internet connection

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   gooze318

gooze318

• Registered
  • 1 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 08 September 2013 - 06:59 PM

I've search and found a few discussion topics, but I'm really confused and hope that someone can help.  Today I ordered an upgrade to a genie and mini genie hd whole home dvrs.  Neither of my current hd dvr's are connected to wireless internet. I know that you can order the Cinema Connection Kit, but I'm wondering if there are any cheaper alternatives?   Is there a Linksys or Netgear something that you can use to connect the genie to a home network?

Thanks in advance.

Matt

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,262 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 08 September 2013 - 07:19 PM

If you are getting the Genie, you have a few options. If you get the HR34, you can connect an Ethernet cable directly to the HR34 and that will get you Internet to ALL of your receivers. If you get an HR44, you also have the option of connecting back to your router via its built-in wireless option. If you don't have Ethernet near the Genie and don't get a HR44, you can always get a Cinema Connection Kit, which is about $25 from DirecTV and sometimes even cheaper via eBay or Amazon. The CCK would be installed on a coax connected back to the dish and have an Ethernet cable connected to it going back to your router. There is a wireless-CCK, which can connect back to your router via wireless, however, it is not installed very much anymore.

If you are having a tech come out to do the upgrade, he will make sure that you are connected to the Internet. If you don't have a coax near your router now, the upgrade includes the install of an additional coax run to that location as long as a HR44 is not being installed (as they would use the HR44's wireless then).

Let us know what your current setup is and what you will be getting and we can probably be a little more specific in regards to how things will work for you. 

BTW, welcome to DBSTalk!

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#3 OFFLINE   jennvpi

jennvpi

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 08:56 AM

If you are getting the Genie, you have a few options. If you get the HR34, you can connect an Ethernet cable directly to the HR34 and that will get you Internet to ALL of your receivers. If you get an HR44, you also have the option of connecting back to your router via its built-in wireless option. If you don't have Ethernet near the Genie and don't get a HR44, you can always get a Cinema Connection Kit, which is about $25 from DirecTV and sometimes even cheaper via eBay or Amazon. The CCK would be installed on a coax connected back to the dish and have an Ethernet cable connected to it going back to your router. There is a wireless-CCK, which can connect back to your router via wireless, however, it is not installed very much anymore.

If you are having a tech come out to do the upgrade, he will make sure that you are connected to the Internet. If you don't have a coax near your router now, the upgrade includes the install of an additional coax run to that location as long as a HR44 is not being installed (as they would use the HR44's wireless then).

Let us know what your current setup is and what you will be getting and we can probably be a little more specific in regards to how things will work for you. 

BTW, welcome to DBSTalk!

- Merg

Hello,

I have a related question. I recently replaced old HD-DVRs with a Genie at the main TV and Genie Mini at the 2nd TV. They are both connected wirelessly to home network. Is there any reason that I would need to keep the Cinema Connection Kit (DCAW1R0-01)?

Thanks so much!

#4 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,339 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 11 January 2014 - 09:00 AM

Wireless is a less solid connection than wired. I'd keep the kit, and put it back into use if you find wireless problematic. 

• damondlt likes this
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#5 ONLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,262 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 11 January 2014 - 09:02 AM

Hello,
I have a related question. I recently replaced old HD-DVRs with a Genie at the main TV and Genie Mini at the 2nd TV. They are both connected wirelessly to home network. Is there any reason that I would need to keep the Cinema Connection Kit (DCAW1R0-01)?
Thanks so much!

A hardwired connection is always more stable than a wireless one. Since you have your Genie connected via wireless, you have a HR44. While there is that ability with the HR44, I would connect via wired if you can. If you don't have an Ethernet connection near the HR44, the CCK is going to be your bridge. If there is an Ethernet connection near the HR44, just plug it right into the HR44. In the latter case or if you decide to stick with the wireless connection, the CCK is not needed anymore.

- Merg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#6 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,280 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 11 January 2014 - 09:03 AM

I wouldn't think so since the when the Genie is wirelessly connected to your network, it is doing the same function as the CCK.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#7 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,193 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 09:12 AM

I'll stick with my Wired CCK. 

After all its not like ton of wires, its only one coax.

Plus correct me if I'm wrong but if you have Multiple DVRs I don't think just plugging in your GENIE will provide Internet throughout your whole home system.

Only the clients?

I thought only Swm and CCK was capable of such.

#8 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,984 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 11 January 2014 - 09:25 AM

I'll stick with my Wired CCK. 

After all its not like ton of wires, its only one coax.

Plus correct me if I'm wrong but if you have Multiple DVRs I don't think just plugging in your GENIE will provide Internet throughout your whole home system.

Only the clients.

I thought only Swm and CCK was capable of such.

No, it bridges all your units to the network when you just use ethernet to the Genie. HR44 here plugged to my router... The HR24 & H25 are networked from that.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#9 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,193 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 09:29 AM

No, it bridges all your units to the network when you just use ethernet to the Genie. HR44 here plugged to my router... The HR24 & H25 are networked from that.

Interesting, This should work on the HR24 then no?

Meaning plug Ethernet into HR24, and that should network all my system too correct?

So you have NO CCK?

#10 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,984 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 11 January 2014 - 09:32 AM

Interesting, This should work on the HR24 then no?

Meaning plug Ethernet into HR24, and that should network all my system too correct?

So you have NO CCK?

It only works plugging into Genies.

Nope, CCK free.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#11 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,193 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 09:35 AM

It only works plugging into Genies.

Nope, CCK free.

Why is that?

#12 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,984 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 11 January 2014 - 09:37 AM

Why is that?

I don't technically know, maybe someone else might know.

#13 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,193 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 09:40 AM

I don't technically know, maybe someone else might know.

I'm not doubting you. Just doesn't make any sense.

HR24 has built in Deca, just the same as HR 34, its all connected to the swim the exact same way, I don't see what difference it makes.

What if you only had Just 2 HR 24s? They would both need a ethernet connection or CCK ?

#14 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,280 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 11 January 2014 - 09:44 AM

When I was with D* previously, I had 3 HR24s and needed a CCK.

Now with the Genie (HR44), I don't.  I'm also using it wirelessly with no issues.  Pretty transparent and one less wire and box.

Lloyd

#15 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,193 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 10:09 AM

When I was with D* previously, I had 3 HR24s and needed a CCK.

Now with the Genie (HR44), I don't.  I'm also using it wirelessly with no issues.  Pretty transparent and one less wire and box.

Yes but thats because HR44 has Built in Wireless, and your only using it with Clients. That makes sense.

What doesn't make sense , If HR34 can run your entire Whole home system , with HR24 ,23 with the simple plug in of an Ethernet into HR 34, then you should be able to accomplish the same by using HR24 instead.

I'm fairy sure a customer with only 2 HR24's and no Genie, doesn't have both plugged into Ethernet outlet.

And wouldn't it be cheaper to Directv, to drop one ethernet cord at the HR 34 location rather then make and install CCKs if it were that simple.

Most time they are forced to run new wires anyway.

#16 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,075 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 11 January 2014 - 10:16 AM

HR24 has built in Deca, just the same as HR 34, its all connected to the swim the exact same way, I don't see what difference it makes.

For whatever reasons at the time the way the H/HR24s are internally designed, their internal DECA actually becomes disabled if an active ethernet connection is inserted into their port.

The HR34/44 internal DECAs do not do this however, and thereby may be used as an internal wired CCK.

... What if you only had Just 2 HR 24s? They would both need a ethernet connection or CCK ?

Yep;

One or the other, preferably the later which would be the officially supported one.

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#17 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,280 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 11 January 2014 - 10:24 AM

With multiple HR24s you only need one connection to the internet, it is shared on the coax.

Lloyd

#18 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,193 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 10:25 AM

For whatever reasons at the time the way the H/HR24s are internally designed, their internal DECA actually becomes disabled if an active ethernet connection is inserted into their port.

The HR34/44 internal DECAs do not do this however, and thereby may be used as an internal wired CCK.

... What if you only had Just 2 HR 24s? They would both need a ethernet connection or CCK ?

Yep;

One or the other, preferably the later which would be the officially supported one.

Ok that makes more sense.

But still why not just run an ethernet, instead of running a coax, a small eithernet cable,and making and adding any CCK ?

Why not just plug and play?

Now yes Wireless makes sense but with issues and obstructions that plague many households, I'll never use it.

#19 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,075 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 11 January 2014 - 11:45 AM

Ok that makes more sense.

But still why not just run an ethernet, instead of running a coax, a small eithernet cable,and making and adding any CCK ?

Why not just plug and play?

Now yes Wireless makes sense but with issues and obstructions that plague many households, I'll never use it.

One of the main reasons it was found best to install a CCK even with the Genie is because most customers do not understand the technology behind the system, so if they choose to do something like swap receiver locations, they usually just imitate the connections they see on the back of each receiver.

If they do this by swapping locations of a Genie with an H/HR24 and plug an ethernet connection into them in imitation of the Genie, their internal DECA will become disabled disconnecting them from the MoCA coax network. The customer likely won't know what happened so will call in for service triggering a costly truck roll.    

• damondlt and The Merg like this

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#20 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,193 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 12:57 PM

One of the main reasons it was found best to install a CCK even with the Genie is because most customers do not understand the technology behind the system, so if they choose to do something like swap receiver locations, they usually just imitate the connections they see on the back of each receiver.

If they do this by swapping locations of a Genie with an H/HR24 and plug an ethernet connection into them in imitation of the Genie, their internal DECA will become disabled disconnecting them from the MoCA coax network. The customer likely won't know what happened so will call in for service triggering a costly truck roll.    

Ok that makes perfect sense.

But why not have the HR24 Deca not disable.

Problem solved everywhere, and you can pick any room with Deca ready receivers that is close to ethernet and boom bang done!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...