Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Problems with Genie system

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   williammck

williammck

Mentor

• Registered
  • 52 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 08 September 2013 - 09:20 PM

Hello all,

Recently I've been having problems with my HR34 and C31/C41s. I had a C31 in one room that was defective and would freeze up when you tried to turn it off, requiring you to do an RBR each time.  The installer came by, checked the system (found no problems), replaced it with a C41, re crimped the coax, and all was well. This was on 09/01.

Just this weekend, when you turn the new C41 on, it will freeze up some part of the Genie server, making all the clients not work (requiring an RBR of the Genie server). The Genie still seems to operate fine in that state though.

The Genie server is on the latest firmware, haven't checked the clients (btw, the C41 has that Spanish issue some batches have). I've tried a double reboot of the Genie server, same problem still occured.

Any idea what's going on or what else I could try?

Thanks,

William.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   JasTay4224

JasTay4224

• Unregistered / Not Logged In
  • 40 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 11:04 PM

Could be any number of issues.

Coax issue. Connection issue. Genie needs replacement. Could need a new LNB... There is no true method to determine cause of issue without inspection of the system.
HR34 / (5) HR24's / HR21-Pro Model / WVB + (1) C41W

#3 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,662 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 09 September 2013 - 01:32 AM

There is no true method to determine cause of issue without inspection of the system.

According to the OP, the TS has been there, done that.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#4 OFFLINE   williammck

williammck

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 52 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 09 September 2013 - 06:51 AM

According to the OP, the TS has been there, done that.

Yeah, they tested everything when they were out here, and they tested everything on their systems' end. Nothing notable found.

Any resets or something of that nature that I could try?

#5 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:29 AM

Doesn't sound like it, but maybe you have some corrupted Guide data that the units are hanging on. Perform a menu reset on the Genie and after it restarts, perform a second menu reset. This will flush the Guide Data. Although reading your OP, it looks like you might have tried that though.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#6 OFFLINE   williammck

williammck

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 52 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 09 September 2013 - 04:25 PM

Thanks Merg.

Yeah, I've already tried a guide reset. I found a H25 in a drawer that we're apparently still paying for. D: I'm using that in place of the main C41 in the meantime. I checked the signal strengths, 85-100 on all of them (spot-beams excluded). The one thing that worried me though is that the signals for SWM in this main room were:

1-8     100  96  0  0  0  0  98  0
9-16   100 (N/A on all the rest)

Are the SWM readings supposed to be low and sparse like that or is that semi-normal?

William

#7 OFFLINE   williammck

williammck

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 52 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 09 September 2013 - 05:12 PM

Welp, I might have fixed it. (temporarily...?)

Originally we had the PI right by the Genie, a good ~70 feet away from the switch, then another ~80 feet from the dish. Might have been too far, IDK... moved it to right by the switch, wired between the CCK and the switch. Everything turned back on, started working perfectly! (no other weird problems either!) [EDIT] Also fixed the Spanish problem on the C41 - held down the DirecTV button to trigger a factory defaults reset.

Also, we have a 8-port switch, with at max 7 tuners being used.  I read somewhere before that you need a PI-28/29 for the 8-port switches; we currently have a PI-21. Can someone confirm the legitimacy of that statement before I go out and buy one from SS?

Thanks!

Edited by williammck, 09 September 2013 - 05:28 PM.

#8 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 09 September 2013 - 05:42 PM

I think the SWM-LNB uses the PI-21. As for the PI being too far from the LNB to begin with, I believe you were fine. You might have actually had a problem with the PI being too close to the receiver. It's actually recommended to have a PI on its own coax run or not in-line with a receiver directly behind a receiver.

- Merg

#9 OFFLINE   vpr632

vpr632

• Registered
  • 26 posts
  • LocationPort Saint Lucie, Florida

Posted 09 September 2013 - 05:42 PM

I just got a genie and two c41's today. One of the c41's had an issue when in the settings, everything would be in spanish but anywhere else it would be in english. After talking with tech support for about 30 minutes reseting the main box and trying to force a firmware upgrade I decided to change everything to spanish and then back to english, this seemed to correct that issue. If you are still experiencing the spanish thing try that.

Question for others, my current firmware is 0x0724, is this the latest? Also, I was under the impression there should be YouTube and Pandora.. Does any one else have these features?

#10 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 09 September 2013 - 05:43 PM

Thanks Merg.

Yeah, I've already tried a guide reset. I found a H25 in a drawer that we're apparently still paying for. D: I'm using that in place of the main C41 in the meantime. I checked the signal strengths, 85-100 on all of them (spot-beams excluded). The one thing that worried me though is that the signals for SWM in this main room were:

1-8     100  96  0  0  0  0  98  0
9-16   100 (N/A on all the rest)

Are the SWM readings supposed to be low and sparse like that or is that semi-normal?

William

I can't help you with that, but if LitzDog comes by, he should be able to comment on your signal strengths.

- Merg

#11 OFFLINE   williammck

williammck

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 52 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 09 September 2013 - 05:57 PM

I think the SWM-LNB uses the PI-21. As for the PI being too far from the LNB to begin with, I believe you were fine. You might have actually had a problem with the PI being too close to the receiver. It's actually recommended to have a PI on its own coax run or not in-line with a receiver directly behind a receiver.

- Merg

It's on it's own line now, except for the CCK behind it. (might actually separate them so the wiring looks nicer)

I just got a genie and two c41's today. One of the c41's had an issue when in the settings, everything would be in spanish but anywhere else it would be in english. After talking with tech support for about 30 minutes reseting the main box and trying to force a firmware upgrade I decided to change everything to spanish and then back to english, this seemed to correct that issue. If you are still experiencing the spanish thing try that.

Question for others, my current firmware is 0x0724, is this the latest? Also, I was under the impression there should be YouTube and Pandora.. Does any one else have these features?

Factory reset fixed the spanish issue for me. (hold down the DirecTV button for ~10 seconds)

I have 0x0724 on my C41, so it seems that's okay. I have YouTube and Pandora, are you sure you're hooked up to the internet? It doesn't transfer over the satellite.

Thanks all.

#12 OFFLINE   vpr632

vpr632

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 06:03 PM

I am under the impression I am hooked up to the internet I have a deca box. Not 100% sure if the tech set up the internet on the new box. How can I confirm?

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

#13 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 09 September 2013 - 06:04 PM

On the Genie, hit the DASH button. It should pop-up with a box telling you the receiver ID #, SWM connected, and whether you are connected to the Internet. You can also try hitting the right arrow button and TV apps should load if you are connected.

- Merg

#14 OFFLINE   vpr632

vpr632

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 06:07 PM

It does say connected to the internet. I called tech support they claim it takes 24 hours to show. Is that accurate?

#15 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 09 September 2013 - 06:08 PM

It can take 24-48 hours for VOD and other Internet related features to start working. Check tomorrow morning.

- Merg

#16 OFFLINE   vpr632

vpr632

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 06:09 PM

Thanks Merg.

#17 OFFLINE   williammck

williammck

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 52 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 10 September 2013 - 06:04 AM

Seems I'm back to the same issue. Turned on the C41, was at a black screen for a bit, then switched to a grey screen when one of the C31s turned on. Once that one was turned off, the C41 finally showed live TV.
Any more ideas? I'm thinking something's wrong with the HR34.

Sent from my HTC One using DBSTalk mobile app

#18 OFFLINE   vpr632

vpr632

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 04:25 PM

Probably something with HR34. My exp with them which is a little under a month was terrible. I had one installed when I upgraded to genie and it sucked. They sent me another HR34 as a replacement that was refurbished and that one sucked too. Had to escalate to a case manager for a tech to bring me out a HR-44 they wouldn't send one to me. Had the HR44 for two days now and it runs like a charm. Not one problem and it's super fast.

#19 OFFLINE   DB Stalker

DB Stalker

Legend

• Registered
  • 131 posts
  • LocationTooele, UT

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:42 PM

Seems I'm back to the same issue. Turned on the C41, was at a black screen for a bit, then switched to a grey screen when one of the C31s turned on. Once that one was turned off, the C41 finally showed live TV.
Any more ideas? I'm thinking something's wrong with the HR34.

Sent from my HTC One using DBSTalk mobile app

I know you said they checked and didn't see anything wrong with the setup, but humor me and look at the barrels on your wall plates. You'll need to unscrew the cable from it, then look at the center part (of the barrels, not the cable). If its anything but orange or blue then I'd wager that those are your problem.

#)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...