Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Strange "recording conflict" situation - is this "normal"?

Best Answer dvdmth , 09 September 2013 - 07:40 PM

End is set at +30 minutes for the series, but I defeated that and set to "on time" for this episode of the earliest recording (when the conflict first showed up).

This explains it.  I've run into this very problem before and under similar circumstances.

Unfortunately, the DVR does not do a good job handling situation where the start/end padding is adjusted after a recording is set.  If you remove padding, the conflict detection does not always recognize the lack of padding.  If you add padding, the conflict detection sometimes adds more to the end time than is actually added (causing conflicts with programs airing after the scheduled end time).  It is incredibly annoying, but I've run into this more than once when adjusting padding for live events to try to avoid conflicts.

The only way I know of to avoid the issue is not to adjust the padding of a program already scheduled.  Instead, cancel the program (remove it completely from the To Do List) and then set a new recording with the newly desired padding.  This will avoid the issue you described.

I reported the issue on at least two occasions over the years, but it remains unresolved.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   miss_my_utv

miss_my_utv

AllStar

• Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:26 AM

I just encountered this situation:

• Had a program scheduled to record from 1230 - 2
  • Had another program, on a different channel, scheduled to record from 2-5
  • Tried to add another recording from 10-2:30
  • No other recordings scheduled.

When I tried to add the 3rd recording, I got the "conflict resolution screen", which indicated the software was counting the non-overlapping recordings as both active (for an instance at 2, I guess).  So, I wasn't able to add the 3rd program.

This happened on two DVRs (both older HR-2x).

Is this really how the conflict logic works normally (which would be kind of strange), or is something amiss?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,247 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:38 AM

If the shows that were scheduled to record overlapped at all (as you know, sometimes shows will actually end a minute or two after the hour), the DVR will see this as a conflict.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#3 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,582 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:39 AM

could it be that one of the shows will overrun for a minute? this is kind of normal nowadays

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#4 OFFLINE   juniormaj

juniormaj

Legend

• Registered
  • 424 posts
  • LocationNewbury Park, CA

Posted 09 September 2013 - 12:38 PM

Are the recording defaults set to add a minute at the start and/or end of the program? (Menu > Recordings > Manage Recordings > Record Defaults)
Also viewable in Episode Options for each individual recording.

Edited by juniormaj, 09 September 2013 - 12:41 PM.

• The Merg likes this
-Jr.
DirecTV since 1994
My setup

#5 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,247 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 09 September 2013 - 12:43 PM

Are the recording defaults set to add a minute at the start and/or end of the program? (Menu > Recordings > Manage Recordings > Record Defaults)

Good call!

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#6 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,780 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 02:37 PM

Or if one had been live it may have prompted and asked you if you wanted to add 30 minutes and you could have said ok when you set it?

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app
  • juniormaj likes this

#7 OFFLINE   miss_my_utv

miss_my_utv

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:09 PM

If the shows that were scheduled to record overlapped at all (as you know, sometimes shows will actually end a minute or two after the hour), the DVR will see this as a conflict.

- Merg

could it be that one of the shows will overrun for a minute? this is kind of normal nowadays

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

Don't think so.

1st recording (which is now recorded) shows starting at 1230 & 1:30 long.  2nd shows starting at 2.

Conflict resolution dialog indicated one ending at 2, one starting at 2.

Start is at "on time" for both.

End is set at +30 minutes for the series, but I defeated that and set to "on time" for this episode of the earliest recording (when the conflict first showed up).

And, as mentioned above, the conflict resolution dialog indicated one ending at 2, one starting at 2.

Or if one had been live it may have prompted and asked you if you wanted to add 30 minutes and you could have said ok when you set it?

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

Nope.  See above.

So, there was a real conflict originally (when I had the episode extended by 30 minutes based upon the Series Options), but I fixed that (or tried!) by changing the episode option to eliminate the overlap after 2.   The conflict resolution screen picked up on the updated end-time (i.e., showed no overlap), but the conflict resolution logic must not have for some reason.

#8 OFFLINE   dvdmth

dvdmth

Icon

• Registered
  • 990 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:40 PM   Best Answer

This explains it.  I've run into this very problem before and under similar circumstances.

Unfortunately, the DVR does not do a good job handling situation where the start/end padding is adjusted after a recording is set.  If you remove padding, the conflict detection does not always recognize the lack of padding.  If you add padding, the conflict detection sometimes adds more to the end time than is actually added (causing conflicts with programs airing after the scheduled end time).  It is incredibly annoying, but I've run into this more than once when adjusting padding for live events to try to avoid conflicts.

The only way I know of to avoid the issue is not to adjust the padding of a program already scheduled.  Instead, cancel the program (remove it completely from the To Do List) and then set a new recording with the newly desired padding.  This will avoid the issue you described.

I reported the issue on at least two occasions over the years, but it remains unresolved.

#9 OFFLINE   miss_my_utv

miss_my_utv

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 08:34 AM

Thanks!

I thought of trying the "cancel & set new", but had already set a manual recording for the 3rd show (I only needed the beginning, so could stop before the "erroneous conflict").

It is kind of strange that the conflict resolution screen showed the correct times, but the logic wasn't using them; but I guess some programmers need to be in the bottom of their class, too!!

Thanks to all for the help!

spam firewall