Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Esquire Network to take over Style Network, NOT G4 on Sept. 23rd

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   mws192

mws192

Godfather

• Registered
  • 390 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:29 PM

I really don't see them letting the agreements they still have for G4 to go to waste. Layoff notices with a state's labor department doesn't mean the channel is going away. They could easily program it with two guys and a control room in New York.

The Cablevision filing is to the CT Public Utilites Regulatory Authority (formerly DPUC).  Cable providers are required to notify the state when and why they make changes, and has nothing to do with layoffs. 

Here is Cablevision's exact language, "Effective Thursday, October 10, 2013, NBC Universal will cease to air G4 in both standard definition and high definition"

http://www.dpuc.stat...0a?OpenDocument

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   scott0702

scott0702

Legend

• Registered
  • 207 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 11:51 AM

Looks like Esquire will be on D*. The network website shows it will be on 235. Appears to be SD only. The guide is starting to update programming too on 9/23.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

#23 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 38,665 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 01:48 PM

Style is SD on DirecTV, so it makes sense that Esquire takes over the SD slot. DirecTV may choose to carry Esquire in HD later on ... but I'd treat it like any other HD addition that can be anticipated (just like some may have anticipated the addition of Style).
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#24 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,079 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 14 September 2013 - 02:53 PM

The Cablevision filing is to the CT Public Utilites Regulatory Authority (formerly DPUC).  Cable providers are required to notify the state when and why they make changes, and has nothing to do with layoffs. 

Here is Cablevision's exact language, "Effective Thursday, October 10, 2013, NBC Universal will cease to air G4 in both standard definition and high definition"

http://www.dpuc.stat...0a?OpenDocument

My apologies, I assumed that it was a layoff notice to a DOL. Never heard of a state requiring notice of dropping a channel.

It may be the case that they are just going to shut off G4, but it seems a waste, given the systems that it is still on.

#25 OFFLINE   SamC

SamC

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 06:25 AM

IMHO,

Smart moves all around.

Comcast had four female oriented channels.  Killing off Style will push those viewers to the others, better ratings all around.

Style is on DirecTV, so Esquire will be as well.  Launching a channel w/o being on DirecTV is foolish.

G4 is and always was to me, worthless.  The "watch other people play video games" channel.  Worthless.

#26 OFFLINE   leprechaun106317

leprechaun106317

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 12:27 AM

idk if anyone cares, but we know the fate of at least one of the shows on Style... Tia & Tamera will be moving to E! on October 15th. So if you are a fan of that show (as I am) you can now watch it in HD!

#27 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,995 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 10:07 AM

http://www.hollywood...-network-624127

Very interesting. The shows currently on Style will either move to E!, Oxygen, or Bravo, stay on Esquire, or be ended.

The Esquire Network isn't on. G4 is still on.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#28 OFFLINE   Curtis0620

Curtis0620

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,433 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 10:11 AM

Esquire replaced Style

HR34-700
HR24-200
HR24-200

#29 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,897 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 10:23 AM

My apologies, I assumed that it was a layoff notice to a DOL. Never heard of a state requiring notice of dropping a channel.

It may be the case that they are just going to shut off G4, but it seems a waste, given the systems that it is still on.

I believe states have taken over the oversight of cable franchises that local municipalities used to control.   I just found that out recently here in Ohio.  Must be an FCC ruling.

An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#30 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,995 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:50 AM

Sorry I meant Esquire.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#31 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,193 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 24 September 2013 - 04:39 PM

Sorry I meant Esquire.

Did you meant Style is still on? because it shouldn't.
Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 Deactivated
Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#32 OFFLINE   Number Six

Number Six

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 10:48 PM

I believe states have taken over the oversight of cable franchises that local municipalities used to control.   I just found that out recently here in Ohio.  Must be an FCC ruling.

That's not the case in Mississippi ... I am at all of my city's government meetings, and they have dealings with the cable company on a regular basis (franchise agreement, service complaints, etc.).
All this has happened before. All this will happen again.

spam firewall