Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

CBS Recordings are screwed up - everything else ok

CBS stuttering

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Uncle Lar

Uncle Lar

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 02:21 PM

HR34-700 Genie

I've had this problem for a month or so.  Recordings made on my local channel 3 (CBS) sometimes are unwatchable due to the fact of constant stuttering and digital artifacts.  For example, I recorded yesterdays Bears game (3.5 hours worth).  Could not a watch any of it.  Whats really weird is the commercials are fine, just the actual show is messed up.  I have not had any other problems on any other channels.  Just local CBS.  Almost always the local news(at 10pm) is messed up when recorded.  What's also weird is that LIVE, there are no problems.  Just watching recordings of what I watched is messed up, any only on CBS, and only during non-commercials!  Anyone else with this problem?  Is it my receiver? Is it CBS?  Is it the latest version of firmware (0x740)?

HR23-700 (powerline networked)
Mitsubishi 46" LCD
Denon AVR888
Paradigm Monitor 5

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,155 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 09 September 2013 - 02:35 PM

Are you watching it via Whole Home, or from the HR34 itself?  There have been problems with Whole Home viewing from the Genies.

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#3 OFFLINE   Uncle Lar

Uncle Lar

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 03:20 PM

At first, I thought it was the Whole Home, but when I watched it on the actual DVR, it was messed up as well.   I've got several saved recordings that are messed up to show repair person, in case this helps.  I got to think it's something in the software though.  What is different between the actual content, and the commercials (which record perfectly)?

Mitsubishi 46" LCD
Denon AVR888
Paradigm Monitor 5

#4 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,024 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:10 AM

If you replay the same spot, is it always the exact same issue?

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

#5 OFFLINE   Uncle Lar

Uncle Lar

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 10:58 AM

yes.

Mitsubishi 46" LCD
Denon AVR888
Paradigm Monitor 5

#6 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,087 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 11:06 AM

It's a feature.

:icon_bb:

{sorry, couldn't resist, and somebody was going to post that anyhow}

:nono2:

• Rich likes this

#7 OFFLINE   neckhardt

neckhardt

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 05:03 AM

I've had that same issue, but it seems to have gotten better lately. CBS and once or twice on ABC.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

#8 OFFLINE   jeanietoo

jeanietoo

• Registered
  • 2 posts
  • LocationFort Worth, TX

Posted 11 October 2013 - 11:19 AM

I've been experiencing the same issues for a couple of months. I routinely record Survivor and Craig Ferguson. Survivor is unwatchable. CF seems to have the issues at certain spots like transition into/from commercial and when there are bright, flashing graphics. I've reported the issue to DTV and they claim to have a ticket opened with their "Programming" department but I don't expect resolution quickly.

P.S. I'm in Fort Worth, TX

P.S.S. Never realized how much I DVR on CBS until this issue began occurring.

Edited by jeanietoo, 11 October 2013 - 12:25 PM.

#9 OFFLINE   PRT940

PRT940

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 10:48 PM

Interesting.  I've had the same problem with my HR34 since way back in the Spring.  I assumed that it was due to some trees in my yard starting to grow into the path of the dish.  A lot of my local (WCCO4 - MN) CBS channel recordings would be pixelated and choppy, as well as an occasional recording on another local channel (but mostly it was CBS).  A few weeks ago, I started watching a recording of a Vikings game on CBS, and noticed it was "bad," and because I had also accidentally recorded the game on my other, older HD-DVR, I switched to that DVR's recording, hoping it might be slightly better, and it was just fine; no pixelation or choppiness at all.  So now I've been wondering why the problem only occurs on my HR34 Genie, and why only CBS.  I was planning to ask for an upgrade of the HR34 to an HR44 to see if that would help.

#10 OFFLINE   Sully

Sully

AllStar

• Registered
  • 102 posts
  • LocationDecorah, IA

Posted 12 October 2013 - 06:21 AM

I am so glad to hear that I'm not the only one with this issue...I only wish there was a solution. Just as you described, HR34 recordings of shows on my local CBS station (in my case channel 2 out of Cedar Rapids, IA) are unwatchable. The same show recorded on one of my other DVRs (HR24) are fine. Also, just as you described, the commercials are just fine. It happens whether I'm watching the show directly on the HR34 or when streaming to a different location.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

HR23, HR24, HR34

#11 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,451 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 12 October 2013 - 12:00 PM

It's a feature.

:icon_bb:

{sorry, couldn't resist, and somebody was going to post that anyhow}

:nono2:

When someone opens the door...it's good to see someone with a sense of humor on the forum.  Please continue, a chuckle is always appreciated.  

Rich

#12 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,087 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 01:49 PM

Being associated with the masters of the absurd, DirecTV, Dish AND the cable TV industry, and then with computers involved with access to the forum, I'd say a sense of humor is required.

:coffee

#13 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 720 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 06:48 PM

Its happening with virtually all the HR34s since the most recent NR firmware was released.

#14 OFFLINE   mikek

mikek

Godfather

• Registered
  • 414 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 09:26 AM

I have been seeing the same problem on my HR34 on Chicago CBS for many months.  (Stuttering every few minutes)

spam firewall