Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HDMI ports broken

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   iwatchtv

iwatchtv

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 10:56 AM

I had a lightning strike near my house that some how got in to the cable and HDMI of my TV's. I lost the HDMI ports on all of my TV's. I replaced some of those. I also lost the HDMI ports on my directv receivers (HR34).

What is the best way to get these taken care of?

#2 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 11:02 AM

To get by for the time being, connect via component jacks ir they still work.  1080i is better than SD any day.

{shudder}

If damage around house is significant, it would be worth a call to your homeowners insurance agent.

Unfortunately, as some have discovered, too many claims (like 2)  can cause a cancellation.

I have had some clients 'eat' a lightning damage claim following a big pay out for hail damage.

Hope things go well for you.

#3 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,274 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 10 September 2013 - 12:04 PM

Contact DirecTV and ask for a replacement of a defective receiver. While they may balk at replacing for a faulty HDMI port, don't let that sit. If you don't have the Protection Plan, you'll need to pay $19.95 for the replacement.

- Merg

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#4 OFFLINE   iwatchtv

iwatchtv

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 12:49 PM

To get by for the time being, connect via component jacks ir they still work.  1080i is better than SD any day.

{shudder}

If damage around house is significant, it would be worth a call to your homeowners insurance agent.

Unfortunately, as some have discovered, too many claims (like 2)  can cause a cancellation.

I have had some clients 'eat' a lightning damage claim following a big pay out for hail damage.

Yeah I got the component cables up and running, they work fine. My deductible is $1000, I will probably be right around there with stuff I am going to have to replace, so I don't think its worth it for me to file a claim.

Contact DirecTV and ask for a replacement of a defective receiver. While they may balk at replacing for a faulty HDMI port, don't let that sit. If you don't have the Protection Plan, you'll need to pay $19.95 for the replacement.

Thanks!! One of the HR24's was hooked up via HDMI, and that got nuked too. My other HR24 was hooked up old school via audio video cables, and that is fine. What is the difference between the HR24 and the "mini genie" I hear about?

#5 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,274 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:03 PM

The mini Genie are client units for those with a Genie. It is a tunerless receiver that uses a tuner from the main Genie unit. You might be able to upgrade to a Genie when you do your replacement, but that will be an upgrade and you'll end up with a new 2 year commitment.

- Merg

#6 OFFLINE   iwatchtv

iwatchtv

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:33 PM

The mini Genie are client units for those with a Genie. It is a tunerless receiver that uses a tuner from the main Genie unit. You might be able to upgrade to a Genie when you do your replacement, but that will be an upgrade and you'll end up with a new 2 year commitment.

Thanks for the reply. I have a HR34, and I guess it is a Genie. Are there different versions of HR34? Apparently if you can do picture-in-picture (mine can), it's a Genie.

What is the difference between the HR24's and the mini-Genie's? When I got it installed, I wanted the DVR TV + 3 other TV's (4 total). But the installer said the most he could do was the HR34 + 2 x HR24 for a total of 3, without having an additional HR34.

I think that was before the "mini-genie". Has it changed now? Can I have my HR34 + 3 TV's with mini-genie and be OK?

#7 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,274 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:42 PM

Thanks for the reply. I have a HR34, and I guess it is a Genie. Are there different versions of HR34? Apparently if you can do picture-in-picture (mine can), it's a Genie.

What is the difference between the HR24's and the mini-Genie's? When I got it installed, I wanted the DVR TV + 3 other TV's (4 total). But the installer said the most he could do was the HR34 + 2 x HR24 for a total of 3, without having an additional HR34.

I think that was before the "mini-genie". Has it changed now? Can I have my HR34 + 3 TV's with mini-genie and be OK?

The HR24 is a DVR and has two tuners in it. The Genie (HR34 and HR44) have 5 tuners in them. A Genie can have up to 3 clients attached to them. As mentioned before, the clients do not have their own tuner so they basically steal one from the Genie to which they are attached. A mini (client) needs a Genie to operate. The HR24 can operate on its own as it has its own tuners.

If you need another receiver for a TV, you can get a client and keep the other 2 HR24s. That will give you 9 tuners total for recording and a total of 2TB of recording space. You could replace the HR24s with minis, however, you'd be losing a lot of recording power and whenever the minis are on, they'd be using one of the Genie's tuners. I'm not sure why the installer would only install 2 other receivers for you. Even if the minis were not out yet when you had the Genie installed, he could have installed a regular HD receiver at that 4th TV.

- Merg

#8 OFFLINE   iwatchtv

iwatchtv

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:28 PM

The HR24 is a DVR and has two tuners in it. The Genie (HR34 and HR44) have 5 tuners in them. A Genie can have up to 3 clients attached to them. As mentioned before, the clients do not have their own tuner so they basically steal one from the Genie to which they are attached. A mini (client) needs a Genie to operate. The HR24 can operate on its own as it has its own tuners.

If you need another receiver for a TV, you can get a client and keep the other 2 HR24s. That will give you 9 tuners total for recording and a total of 2TB of recording space. You could replace the HR24s with minis, however, you'd be losing a lot of recording power and whenever the minis are on, they'd be using one of the Genie's tuners. I'm not sure why the installer would only install 2 other receivers for you. Even if the minis were not out yet when you had the Genie installed, he could have installed a regular HD receiver at that 4th TV.

Merg,

Thanks for help. I was wrong about my little receivers. They are H25. Sorry to confuse you. I have a HR34 DVR and then two H25's. The installer indicated to me that he couldn't do a third H25 with my current setup. Does that sound correct?

#9 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,274 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:42 PM

Merg,

Thanks for help. I was wrong about my little receivers. They are H25. Sorry to confuse you. I have a HR34 DVR and then two H25's. The installer indicated to me that he couldn't do a third H25 with my current setup. Does that sound correct?

Still wrong. A HR34 and 2 H25's would work fine with a SWM-LNB, which is what you should have installed. That is 8 tuners and the SWM-LNB can handle a max of 8 tuners.

- Merg

#10 OFFLINE   iwatchtv

iwatchtv

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:49 PM

Still wrong. A HR34 and 2 H25's would work fine with a SWM-LNB, which is what you should have installed. That is 8 tuners and the SWM-LNB can handle a max of 8 tuners.

- Merg

So then that is correct, if I have a HR34 and 2 x H25's I am maxed out right now?

#11 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,274 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:51 PM

So then that is correct, if I have a HR34 and 2 x H25's I am maxed out right now?

Oops.. Typo in my last... You have 7 tuners and the SWM-LNB can handle a max of 8 tuners. You could add another H25, if you wanted.

- Merg

#12 OFFLINE   iwatchtv

iwatchtv

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 05:43 PM

Oops.. Typo in my last... You have 7 tuners and the SWM-LNB can handle a max of 8 tuners. You could add another H25, if you wanted.

- Merg

Thanks a lot for your help. How do I tell if I have a SWM-LNB?

#13 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,274 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 10 September 2013 - 05:53 PM

Do you have one coax coming from the dish down to your house? If so, that's a SWM-LNB. If you have 4 coax cables coming down, you have a legacy LNB.

- Merg

#14 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,307 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 10 September 2013 - 06:02 PM

You could also add up to three Genie clients on top of what you have now, even while adding another H25. The clients allow playlist deletions and additions as do the H25s, but they also automatically are in record mode when you're watching "live", so you can pause, rewind, all trick plays are available. You can manage To Do's, Series Links on the clients, but not the H25s. I like both, for different reasons. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#15 OFFLINE   iwatchtv

iwatchtv

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 11:28 AM

Do you have one coax coming from the dish down to your house? If so, that's a SWM-LNB. If you have 4 coax cables coming down, you have a legacy LNB.

Yes, only one coax. So it's a SWM-LNB. So it's a max of 8 tuners? The HR34 has 5, and each H25 has it's own tuner for a total of 7? I cant quite remember what the installer said. He might have said I can only add one more H25, or he said the max I can have is the HR34 + 2 x H25, but based upon what you guys are saying, that doesn't make sense.

#16 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,218 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 12:23 PM

Yes, only one coax. So it's a SWM-LNB. So it's a max of 8 tuners? The HR34 has 5, and each H25 has it's own tuner for a total of 7? I cant quite remember what the installer said. He might have said I can only add one more H25, or he said the max I can have is the HR34 + 2 x H25, but based upon what you guys are saying, that doesn't make sense.

if you have a HR34 you can add another DVR and one h25. That would add two tuners for the DVR and one for the standard along non DVR receiver.

Or three non DVRs. So three h25s.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

#17 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,274 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 11 September 2013 - 01:47 PM

You can have 1 more H25 for a max of 8 tuners.

- Merg

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

#18 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,307 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 11 September 2013 - 10:16 PM

Yes, first sentence of post 14.....

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...