Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

WHDVR charge mandatory even for long time subscriber?

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   parts.man

parts.man

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 11:25 AM

Called the other day to ask about renewing previous $20 monthly 2 year HD credit/then reduced to $10 monthly 1 year package credit and was offered a 1 year $5 monthly credit.  I appeared to be talking to an English as a second language person and we were having difficulty communicating.  I should have hung up and called later.  Anyway, he said that was what he could do as far as renewal.  So, I check my bill to find I was now being charged a monthly $3 WHDVR fee.  Talked to some department today and he assured me that it was now mandatory even though it had not been on my bill previously and was never mentioned during the earlier call.  Anyone else had a similar experience?  I thought you could be grandfathered in as far as it not being required--owned Genie, activated April 2012. 

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,254 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 10 September 2013 - 11:49 AM

The Whole Home Fee of $3 has never been waived. Some people have managed to get a credit to offset it, but that's it. However, there are cases where Whole Home was activated, but for some reason the fee was not charged. Once the system catches that oversight, the fee is added on. It's possible that when you were talking to the CSR they did something that caused the system to catch the oversight. So, you actually managed to have another $3 for the past 18 months.

- Merg

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#3 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,944 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 10 September 2013 - 11:57 AM

It used to be that a single Genie with no other boxes could get away without the fee, but that is no longer the case.

#4 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,254 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 10 September 2013 - 12:01 PM

It used to be that a single Genie with no other boxes could get away without the fee, but that is no longer the case.

I think that was the oversight that is being corrected.

- Merg

#5 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,944 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 10 September 2013 - 12:03 PM

Oversight or policy change, it depends on who you ask. I don't think they ever expected Genies to be in that environment.

#6 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,254 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 10 September 2013 - 12:05 PM

Oversight or policy change, it depends on who you ask. I don't think they ever expected Genies to be in that environment.

Just a single Genie? That's the perfect setup for some people.

- Merg

#7 OFFLINE   sbl

sbl

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 848 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:20 PM

Single Genie household here. (Plus a THR22 that doesn't participate in WH.) I get charged the $3.

Steve

My Setup

#8 OFFLINE   SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer

Icon

• Registered
  • 956 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:18 PM

I wanted a single HR44 with no clients and no other boxes. I just wanted the 6 tuners. But they told me I would be charged $3/mo extra for the WHDVR, so I told them to forget it.

#9 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,739 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 10 September 2013 - 04:32 PM

I just wanted the 6 tuners.

Probably all for the best as the HR44 has only five tuners.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#10 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 10 September 2013 - 07:05 PM

:rotfl:

#11 OFFLINE   SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer

Icon

• Registered
  • 956 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 02:22 PM

Well, I'm definitely not paying an extra $3/mo for only 5.

#12 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,786 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 11 September 2013 - 06:54 PM

Well, I'm definitely not paying an extra $3/mo for only 5.

Then get an dual tuner DVR and save $3.00 a month

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#13 OFFLINE   JBv

JBv

Godfather

• Registered
  • 806 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 14 September 2013 - 04:27 PM

Called the other day to ask about renewing previous $20 monthly 2 year HD credit/then reduced to $10 monthly 1 year package credit and was offered a 1 year $5 monthly credit. I appeared to be talking to an English as a second language person and we were having difficulty communicating. I should have hung up and called later. Anyway, he said that was what he could do as far as renewal. So, I check my bill to find I was now being charged a monthly $3 WHDVR fee. Talked to some department today and he assured me that it was now mandatory even though it had not been on my bill previously and was never mentioned during the earlier call. Anyone else had a similar experience? I thought you could be grandfathered in as far as it not being required--owned Genie, activated April 2012.

You said you've had yours in since April 2012 so you should be one of the (very few) people who are grandfathered in to not needing the MRV charge. The system may have just automatically thrown it on your account when the person was adding discounts on to your account.

Call again. If you got it in April 2013 you would need it on your account.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app
DirecTV Employee
The postings on this site are my own and do not represent DirecTV's positions, strategies, or opinions.

#14 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,631 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 14 September 2013 - 04:59 PM

That's a ripoff if they charge WH if you only have a Genie and no other receiver. It don't make sense when it's not being shared by other boxes. In my case I have 4 boxes with unsupported WHDVR service, Which means if I try to remove it's a no go?

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#15 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,129 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 14 September 2013 - 05:04 PM

I would venture to say that probably most Genie households are Genie + clients only households. It makes sense from a functionality standpoint that a Genie + clients would get charged WHDVR, since it's effectively the same as having several DVRs through the house. A genie and no clients is a weird situation, and it sucks that they can't not charge the WHDVR fee, but that probably doesn't come up very often. I'd imagine the average consumer getting a Genie is getting it for the clients specifically. Have to remember most edge cases that come up with members of this forum likely don't apply to most of the 20+ million subs out there.

#16 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,786 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 14 September 2013 - 07:34 PM

That's a ripoff if they charge WH if you only have a Genie and no other receiver.

Well in a sense, WHDVR is not being charge.  the fee is called Advanced Receiver Service and is $25.00 a month.  We old timers know that the WHDVR is included in that fee, but new customers who does not know about the old fee structure would not know about this.  

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#17 OFFLINE   ejbvt

ejbvt

AllStar

• Registered
  • 444 posts
  • LocationCentral NC

Posted 14 September 2013 - 09:05 PM

I have a Genie and a client and get the $3 fee waived. Always have. Someone said that the Genie fee is going up to $25/month? Who would pay that for a DVR? I have a $10 HD credit and a $6 "primary" TV credit, too, whatever that is.

Edited by ejbvt, 14 September 2013 - 09:06 PM.

DIRECTV: Genie (HR34) w/AM21 and 1 client.
AT&T: U-Verse Internet, Motorola modem and Samsung Galaxy S3 cell.
LG 42" (1080p, 120 Hz, 3D, Smart TV), Samsung 32" (1080p, 60 Hz)
Denon AVR591, Panasonic Blu Ray, Magnavox DVD player, Philips VCR, Terk HDTVo.

#18 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,944 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 15 September 2013 - 07:19 AM

The $25 fee is charged to newer customers and includes DVR, HD and MRV in one fee. The primary tv credit is because they charge you for the first box, then credit it back. Everyone has this credit. Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

#19 OFFLINE   ejbvt

ejbvt

AllStar

• Registered
  • 444 posts
  • LocationCentral NC

Posted 15 September 2013 - 07:34 AM

How does Directv expect to keep customers with that excessive fee? That's almost double what cable charges, at least here. My bill states WH fee $3, Advanced receiver - HD $10, Advanced receiver - DVR $10. All but the DVR is credited back, but my bill went up $20 this month - I can't figure out why!

Edit: I bet it's because this is the last month of my original 2-year agreement. I thought it all re-set when I got the Genie, but apparently not.... I also forgot to cancel and re-add the HD Extra Pack. I am only receiving one $15 programming credit, when it was $30 total before. That $15 + $5 HD Extra = $20. Time to call and get it back...

Edited by ejbvt, 15 September 2013 - 07:38 AM.

DIRECTV: Genie (HR34) w/AM21 and 1 client.
AT&T: U-Verse Internet, Motorola modem and Samsung Galaxy S3 cell.
LG 42" (1080p, 120 Hz, 3D, Smart TV), Samsung 32" (1080p, 60 Hz)
Denon AVR591, Panasonic Blu Ray, Magnavox DVD player, Philips VCR, Terk HDTVo.

#20 OFFLINE   parts.man

parts.man

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 07:43 AM

Yes, I added the owned HR-34 in April, 2012.  Statement has reported separate line items for HD at $10 and DVR at $10.  I have other DVR's and did not have and do not want  Whole Home.  Again, I thought I was grandfathered in from having to pay the Whole Home fee that was added, but I couldn't make any headway at convincing the agent.  Also, last call I received a $0 line item for Dynamic Upgrade Offer Taker (they offered 3 months of Showtime)--is this associated with that?  They apparently have a billing department that just makes up phrases that to non-Directv employees usually make little to no sense.  If I find another member that reports I should be grandfathered in, I'll call and try again (and yes, I know its only $3, but I don't pay for electricity I don't use, water I don't drink, etc. so why I should I pay for a service I don't use) .  Opinions?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...