Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Programming remote

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   FastNOC

FastNOC

Godfather

• Registered
  • 409 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:00 PM

I have an admittedly ancient Logitech surround system i use in my office. I bought this thing 8 years ago I believe. Whatever the case, it still works great, is THX certified and actually fits me pefectly because I have two optical ports. i can go from my pc and my tv to the head unit which is fantiastic.

except for one thing. I nee to somehow get the remote for my genie to see the logitech. the remotes are the RC65rx models.

now, what's strange is that the first time i went through set up, i got a set of instructions and it told me to try 'these' codes. it only showed one code, and it did not work. however, when I tried to get back to that screen it no longer exists. Now i get a message to point the remote to the reciever which of course doesnt work ( i have never seen that work on anything ) so now even if I find the logitech code, how in the world do i input them?

the model i have is a z-5450 and again, i love this thing, it's got wireless rear speakers and that is SO great for me.

Does anyone have a suggestion?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,746 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:03 PM

See post # 2 here:

http://www.dbstalk.c...th-hr24-remote/

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#3 OFFLINE   FastNOC

FastNOC

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 409 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:20 PM

Thanks, none of the codes must have worked, the only thing it accomplished, is following those instructions, reset the reciever to ir mode again, neither remote works at all with the h434 now, or the tv that they both originally worked fine with.

I have two dead remotes now. i went through the menu on the front of the reciever and nothing I do works. i checked to see if it flipped it back to IR mode because that's what has happened nearly any time I try to make any changes to program either remote to anything.

#4 OFFLINE   FastNOC

FastNOC

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 409 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:28 PM

jesus this is infuriating. i reset both remotes, so they now work on the reciever. BUT, they no longer work on the tv, when I try to go to the tv to set them  up, once again I get the message 'sorry your remote could not be set up. Please make sure the remote is pointed at the reciever and try again"

Both remotes are tested at 6 inches, 3 feet,. 6 feet, both at the sme time, or one then the other, none work, and that message is all i get now.

unbelievable.

oh and I had to ONCE AGAIN go back and turn it to RF from IR

#5 OFFLINE   otaliema

otaliema

AllStar

• Registered
  • 171 posts
  • LocationMid-west USA

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:33 PM

Sounds the XMP function of the remote is not working, program it "old" style with mute+select and codes from directv.com help->tools->program remote 

http://www.directv.c...ms_remote_codes

I am a former DIRECTV employee however all statements opinions, views, expressions, etc, are entirely my own even if logic says otherwise.

They DO NOT reflect on DIRECTV and or any partner, affiliated company's, polices, processes, opinions, or things that are not listed here.

Set up. HR24-200, HR24-200, HR22-200, H23-600. Whole Home, BBCCK, SL3 SWiM.

I have found that working with computers is like working with a toddler, sometimes there is no reason for the melt down, just keep on moving forward.

#6 OFFLINE   FastNOC

FastNOC

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 409 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:37 PM

so you think the remotes are identically broken at the same time? i wasn't even touching the other one when this happened. if I change ANYTHING on EITHER remote, the reciever reverts to IR, and regardless of what i do, i cannot set up the tv. but the other remote is working, so how is that even possible?

and again, the link you posted was posted in the second post of the thread, my reply is that i do not get a screen which allows me any input codes, and if I try the second option, all it will do is revert my reciever to ir again.

#7 OFFLINE   otaliema

otaliema

AllStar

• Registered
  • 171 posts
  • LocationMid-west USA

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:40 PM

Sorry  didn't reliase that Jimmie had linked to my post in another thread I plead guilty to not looking  :sleeping:

Don't use the receivers programming menu's other than to set the remote and receiver to RF mode than leave it on live tv, put the remote in TV mode, mute+select input code(s) from directv.com hit the TV off button (top right), once you have the TV set, move the slider to AV1 or AV2 your choice and repeat the same mute+select till you get the sound system working. 

There is a set of steps you can take to move the volume control to sound system as default on the remote if your sound system is your main audio source. 

I don't think the remotes are broken I just think that the receiver has "forgotten" the codes for your TV so the XMP functions will have a hard time setting the remote up. 

Edited by otaliema, 10 September 2013 - 01:42 PM.

I am a former DIRECTV employee however all statements opinions, views, expressions, etc, are entirely my own even if logic says otherwise.

They DO NOT reflect on DIRECTV and or any partner, affiliated company's, polices, processes, opinions, or things that are not listed here.

I have found that working with computers is like working with a toddler, sometimes there is no reason for the melt down, just keep on moving forward.

#8 OFFLINE   FastNOC

FastNOC

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 409 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:43 PM

oh my goodness, someone that knows this stuff. lol thank you so much. holy crud how frustrating is that mess.

i hate thie hr-34 witha  passion. i said here and in my head not to accept this and demand a 44 but i caved, and i have regretted it since. to the point i'm neaer just leaving and letting them send me to collections on the penalty.

#9 OFFLINE   FastNOC

FastNOC

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 409 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:44 PM

by the way, topic saved, printed and I'm laminating the damn thing so i don't have this headache next time :)

Edited by FastNOC, 10 September 2013 - 01:44 PM.

#10 OFFLINE   FastNOC

FastNOC

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 409 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:46 PM

There is a set of steps you can take to move the volume control to sound system as default on the remote if your sound system is your main audio source. 

by the way, could you please link me to the option in your last sentence? i'd really like to use my logitech for the volume, but i can't get it programmed.

Edited by FastNOC, 10 September 2013 - 01:46 PM.

#11 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,746 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:55 PM

If the remote is turning the logitec system on or off,

Move the selector to the same spot where you programmed it,

now program in 993 and press the select button.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#12 OFFLINE   otaliema

otaliema

AllStar

• Registered
  • 171 posts
  • LocationMid-west USA

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:56 PM

I'm sure the steps are in one of the how to guides in tips and resources but i don't have that up or bookmarked. Here are the steps.

Put the remote in TV mode

1 Mute+select input code 993 than Volume+ you should see the TV mode light blink 4 times

2 Move the slider to AV1/2 which ever you programmed to the sound system

3 Mute&Select, 993 than Select two blinks will confirm.

Put in Directv Mode hit volume you should see the lights blink DTV mode than AV1/2 and volume should adjust. 

Note this disables the volume control for the tv on the remote unless you repeat the steps just swap the tv and sound system in the steps. 

if you skip step 3 you maintain control of tv volume in DTV mode but upon moving the slider to av1/2 volume control switches to that mode. (handy if you don't use the sound system 100% of the time)

Edited by otaliema, 10 September 2013 - 02:05 PM.

#13 OFFLINE   FastNOC

FastNOC

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 409 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:01 PM

Thank you? i put this all in an html page and saved it in my dang NAS. not losing this info again. i had to do this same thing last time, but i didn't get nearly as thorough as info.

thank you SO much. I think i'm still stuck a bit, since I did the 'rotate throught the codes' using channel up, and testing eaech time with volume and none of them worked. finally the led stopped lighting up so I assume that means i ran through all the codes.

is there really no way to locate the code and enter it manually? I know that's what I'm doing when I change the remote to RF, when i enter that long number I'm assuming it's associating the remote with the reciever. maybe I'm wrong though. it can't be that difficult, I set my Android up to control the logitech in under 45 seconds, and it's just a built in app (the remote)

and that last part you said is exactly how i want this. i use the regular tv speakers for normal tv. I don't need booming surround to watch the simpsons :) but i like to switch over to logitech when i want to watch a movie. expensive big nice tv, old antiquated surround

I should drop 300 and by a cheap surround system till i can afford one i want. this is all a bit ridiculous.

I will say one thing. I came here in 2007 i believe. 6 years ago. With Dish. and through those 6 years, BY FAR the best resource I have found, every time I needed help, was this forum.

I may seem irritable, crappy and ungrateful, but it's just frustration. i appreciate this place and posters like you immensely

Edited by FastNOC, 10 September 2013 - 02:06 PM.

#14 OFFLINE   otaliema

otaliema

AllStar

• Registered
  • 171 posts
  • LocationMid-west USA

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:05 PM

With the Code scan if your THX system is not listed on the website under audio receivers, do not hit volume up or down, just press channel up till the system turns off then press select to lock the code hit the pwr button to turn it back on and test volume at that time.

You have ran through all the codes when the light blinks twice/three times after you press channel up. (so may appear as three or four blinks)

Also to edit my previous post if you need to the volume control back to the TV repeat all steps just swap the sound system and the TV in the steps. 

Edited by otaliema, 10 September 2013 - 02:07 PM.

#15 OFFLINE   FastNOC

FastNOC

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 409 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:08 PM

ok, well wouldn't i have already gone through that process? i pressed channel up, then volume up. I'll run it agin without hitting volume. can't hurt. I suppose I could also break down and buy a harmony, but I do like the feel of these remotes. probably because my muscle memory is there from using them so long.

#16 OFFLINE   otaliema

otaliema

AllStar

• Registered
  • 171 posts
  • LocationMid-west USA

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:13 PM

I definitely understand that one :)

Hitting any buttons other than channel up/down and select while in code scan should end the scan so the remote probably never checked more than the first code or two. 

If you think or know you hit channel up again after the sound system turns off you can hit channel down slowly to back up in the codes

#17 OFFLINE   FastNOC

FastNOC

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 409 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:26 PM

well, I went through the up channel options at least 3 times. because i ended up at the same odd situation. There is clearly no code for this box. the only activity i got was hitting the channel button i saw the surround level light come up and it's scroller, pretty the channel button up once i hit 'select' to save it, did nothing though, and after saving it, the only button with activity was the power button, and all it did was start scrolling the surround level down till it hit 0. if i manuallly turned it back up, pressing power just sent it down incrementally again. no other buttons work.

So it looks like i'm outta luck :(

#18 OFFLINE   otaliema

otaliema

AllStar

• Registered
  • 171 posts
  • LocationMid-west USA

Posted 10 September 2013 - 03:10 PM

That sucks, sadly the older tv's and sound systems are less likely to program to the newer D* remotes. The steps and codes will work for any RC65 or lower remote so if have another tv and sound system the steps are the same there even on a client unit.

If  you go third party the harmony is a good choice I've heard good things about them, do a search for them here Im sure more than one thread here has reviews on them 

#19 OFFLINE   FastNOC

FastNOC

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 409 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 03:13 PM

Oh i've had numerous Harmony remotes. All the way from a basic one, to the Haromony 1 (two of those) and one of the older ones. not sure what it's called. it is a flat square that's all touch screen and it was horrendously expensive. i think i paid $500 for it. But through using those, I have found that i don't like the touch screen. i am a tactile feel kind of guy, and rarelly look at my remote while I'm using it. I didn't realize it until I bought the square one. I think it was called the Haromony 1000.

spam firewall