Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

GenieGo Question For A Newbie

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Jdoc2013

Jdoc2013

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 03:57 PM

Here's the background for my simple GenieGo question:

Hardware setup:
Genie receiver Hr44 connected to internet via wifi
HR24 receiver (not connected to internet) but networked via whole home
GenieGo connected to internet through wireless bridge

Genie receiver can see and access playlist from HR24 and vice versa.  Each receiver displays a combined playlist (genie playlist + HR24 playlist);
The GenieGo, however, can only see the playlist of Genie receiver (i.e, only shows directly recorded on Genie receiver).

If the Genie receiver shares both playlists, why doesn't GenieGo see the combined playlist as displayed on the Genie receiver?  Does the HR24 receiver need to have internet connectivity for the GenieGo to see its playlist?

Thanks for any insight you can give me.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,262 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 10 September 2013 - 04:08 PM

When you are in the GenieGo app, what DVRs does it say that it sees? Go to Settings / DVR Playlist Manager and let us know if both the Genie and HR24 are listed. If they are, be sure that the HR24 is not set to be hidden.

As for your connections, the HR24 is fine as is. Why are you using wireless bridge for the GenieGo? That might actually cause you some issues if you decide to do Streaming with it. Just put the GenieGo near your router and hardwire it to the router. Also, do you have an Ethernet connection near the HR44? If so, just plug that into the HR44 and reboot it. It will use the Ethernet connection instead of the wireless then.

- Merg

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#3 OFFLINE   Jdoc2013

Jdoc2013

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 04:31 PM

Merg, thanks for the response, I very much appreciate your help!

I can see the Genie receiver in the Ipad App, but not the HR24.

I did not even think of hooking-up the GenieGo as you suggested.  Thanks!

The router is located in the other room.  How big of a difference does a direct Ethernet connection truly make versus wireless related to the functionality of the HR44?

Thanks again, Jerry

#4 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,262 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 10 September 2013 - 04:36 PM

Merg, thanks for the response, I very much appreciate your help!

I can see the Genie receiver in the Ipad App, but not the HR24.

I did not even think of hooking-up the GenieGo as you suggested. Thanks!

The router is located in the other room. How big of a difference does a direct Ethernet connection truly make versus wireless related to the functionality of the HR44?

Thanks again, Jerry

Are you using the GenieGo app or the DirecTV App for iPad? On the HR24, go to the Settings Menu and look under Whole Home for settings for External Devices. Make sure they are all set to Allow. As for not seeing the HR24 on the iPad app, is it that it's not listing shows from the HR24 or that in the Settings the HR24 is not even listed?

- Merg

#5 OFFLINE   Jdoc2013

Jdoc2013

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 04:46 PM

I am using the GenieGo App.  I previously checked the HR24 settings for an external device and they are set to "Allow."  When I run the GenieGo App, the HR44/Genie is listed but not the HR24.  I have recorded a few shows on the Genie and they appear on the GenieGo App.  The recorded shows on the HR24 however are not shown.  Both receivers show the identical playlists. 

#6 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,333 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 10 September 2013 - 04:52 PM

The router is located in the other room.  How big of a difference does a direct Ethernet connection truly make versus wireless related to the functionality of the HR44?

To me, it's a big difference. Anything that causes a drop in connection is a problem, mostly momentary, but why put up with skips and drops?  But mileage varies. Wired is the better solution if going wired isn't a hassle. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#7 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,322 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 10 September 2013 - 04:53 PM

As The Merg pointed out, you have to also check in the GenieGo App. Top-right corner click on the Settings icon (the gear) and then select DVR Playlist Manager. Make sure your 24 is listed and it should say "Hide" next to it. If it says Enable, click on that.  It will take a few minutes to show the shows on the DVR.

#8 OFFLINE   Jdoc2013

Jdoc2013

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 05:03 PM

Laxguy and trh, I appreciate the help as well.  I have been toying with the idea of having all of the rooms hardwired but was concerned about the cost. 

The DVR Playist Manager on the App just shows the HR44.

I need to head off to a meeting so I will be out of pocket for a few hours.  I will touch base later tonight.  Thanks for taking the time to help me.

#9 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,262 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 10 September 2013 - 05:14 PM

Perform a 30 second reset of the GenieGo. Open the front door in the unit and press and hold the red button for 30 seconds. After releasing the button, the GenieGo will power back up. Give it a few minutes for all the lights to turn blue. Then check the GenieGo app. Prior to doing this, force close the app on your iPad.

- Merg

#10 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,333 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 10 September 2013 - 05:55 PM

Laxguy and trh, I appreciate the help as well.  I have been toying with the idea of having all of the rooms hardwired but was concerned about the cost. 

If you're being installed with Whole Home service, you'll need only the one coax wire to each unit; that'll carry both the DIRECTV signal and provide internet to each receiver. DIRECTV would do the wiring.

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#11 OFFLINE   Jdoc2013

Jdoc2013

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 07:56 PM

I'm back. Moved GenieGo and connected directly to router. I also did a forced closed of Genie Ipad App. Now, I have a new problem. While the HR44 is listed in the DVR Manager (HR24 is still awol), no playlist content is shown. I have done a reset of GenieGo (red button 30 sec) and again force closed the app. I have the same problem. Any suggestions? What am i doing wrong?

#12 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,262 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:23 PM

I'm back. Moved GenieGo and connected directly to router. I also did a forced closed of Genie Ipad App. Now, I have a new problem. While the HR44 is listed in the DVR Manager (HR24 is still awol), no playlist content is shown. I have done a reset of GenieGo (red button 30 sec) and again force closed the app. I have the same problem. Any suggestions? What am i doing wrong?

You double-checked on the HR24 that the External Devices setting is set to Allow? As for the Genie Playlist not showing up, give it a minute or two. Sometimes it takes a few before the Playlist pops up.

- Merg

#13 OFFLINE   Jdoc2013

Jdoc2013

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:27 PM

Stranger yet, GenieGo Ipad App now shows playlist content for HR44, however no content for HR24. Same problem exists

#14 OFFLINE   Jdoc2013

Jdoc2013

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:28 PM

Merg, thanks, I didn't see your response before I did my last post.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...