Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Programming Genie remote to HR34-700/SonyTV

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   vpr632

vpr632

• Registered
  • 26 posts
  • LocationPort Saint Lucie, Florida

Posted 10 September 2013 - 07:02 PM

Hello all,

I am trying to program my genie remote that I'm using on my Hr34-700 to my Sony but since DirecTV didn't give me a HR44 I don't have the correct options in settings for the new remote it only shows the options about the slider for the original remote. Does anyone know of a work around to get this programmed to my Sony?

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   vpr632

vpr632

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 07:07 PM

Clarification, the remote is RC71 if that helps any.

#3 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,663 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 10 September 2013 - 07:36 PM

Press MUTE and SELECT together, wait a few seconds for the LED to blink twice and enter 54001

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#4 OFFLINE   vpr632

vpr632

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 07:52 PM

That worked but now the remote will not control the hr34 only tv. I only want it to control the Sonys volume and power on/off.

#5 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,663 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:18 PM

opps, that is the RVU code.  try 10810

Before 10810. do a remote reset by pressing MUTE and SELECT and entering 981.  then do the same and enter code

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#6 OFFLINE   vpr632

vpr632

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:48 PM

That worked. Thanks for the help. Now the wife is happy.

#7 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,663 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 08:11 AM

You are welcome. Glad I could help

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#8 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,904 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 11 September 2013 - 06:46 PM

opps, that is the RVU code.  try 10810

Before 10810. do a remote reset by pressing MUTE and SELECT and entering 981.  then do the same and enter code

There is a small problem with that code, and from what I've found is all other Sony codes in the RC71 dataset.  I think I tried all 29

They toggle Sony off/on.  Meaning if you press on, and the TV is on, it will turn the TV off.  It's toggling, not sending discrete off/on codes.

My Monster AVL300 remote which I believe references the Harmony database for IR codes has discrete Sony off/on codes.  Off always means off and on always means On. 

peds48, any knowledge of a Sony code that is 100% compliant with off/on?

#9 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,663 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 06:57 PM

peds48, any knowledge of a Sony code that is 100% compliant with off/on?

you need an HR44

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#10 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,904 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 11 September 2013 - 08:04 PM

you need an HR44

Yes I have one.  But the codes in the HR44/RC71 are not off/on compliant as I explained above.

So is there a code other than the 29 in the menu that is off/on compliant?

#11 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,663 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 03:09 PM

I just had an install today and the HR44 sent a Sony code to the RC71.  it worked with VOL, and OFF an ON. no issues.

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#12 OFFLINE   otaliema

otaliema

AllStar

• Registered
  • 171 posts
  • LocationMid-west USA

Posted 12 September 2013 - 03:52 PM

In my experience the on/off buttons function as a power toggle for the tv and designated on/off for the receiver. 

Some tv's it will designate most tv's they wont. 

Even with in manufacture's models react differently to the remotes. 

I am a former DIRECTV employee however all statements opinions, views, expressions, etc, are entirely my own even if logic says otherwise.

They DO NOT reflect on DIRECTV and or any partner, affiliated company's, polices, processes, opinions, or things that are not listed here.

Set up. HR24-200, HR24-200, HR22-200, H23-600. Whole Home, BBCCK, SL3 SWiM.

I have found that working with computers is like working with a toddler, sometimes there is no reason for the melt down, just keep on moving forward.

#13 OFFLINE   Joe166

Joe166

AllStar

• Registered
  • 123 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 07:47 PM

Yeah, I have the same problem.   I thought it was fixed with the advice I got from this board, but if it was, it didn't stick.   The RC71 just toggles my Sony TV.   It is an HR 44 and RC 71 and I tried every Sony code I could find after the 29 that are automatically brought up in the setup routine.

In other words, the set goes off with the off button, and if you push the off button again the TV turns back on.  My "old" remote doesn't do that.   Turns off with off and won't turn back on until you push on.    The way it is supposed to.  

Does anyone think this is worth complaining about to DTV?   I suspect they have much more important things to worry about, but it is most annoying.

Edited by Joe166, 12 September 2013 - 07:48 PM.

#14 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,663 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 07:50 PM

Yeah, I have the same problem. I thought it was fixed with the advice I got from this board, but if it was, it didn't stick. The RC71 just toggles my Sony TV. It is an HR 44 and RC 71 and I tried every Sony code I could find after the 29 that are automatically brought up in the setup routine.

In other words, the set goes off with the off button, and if you push the off button again the TV turns back on. My "old" remote doesn't do that. Turns off with off and won't turn back on until you push on. The way it is supposed to.

Does anyone think this is worth complaining about to DTV? I suspect they have much more important things to worry about, but it is most annoying.

so what happens if you use the ON button?

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#15 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,904 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 12 September 2013 - 09:13 PM

so what happens if you use the ON button?

The on button with repeated presses will turn the TV on and off and on and off.

The off button with repeated presses will turn the TV on and off and on and off.

The Harmony IR remotes will not turn the TV off when on is pressed and it will not turn the tv on when off is pressed.

On=On Only

Off=Off Only

As mentioned earlier the Directv RC71 remote when programmed from the HR44 or C41 client will not use discrete codes.

#16 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,663 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 12:46 PM

The on button with repeated presses will turn the TV on and off and on and off.

The off button with repeated presses will turn the TV on and off and on and off.

The Harmony IR remotes will not turn the TV off when on is pressed and it will not turn the tv on when off is pressed.

On=On Only

Off=Off Only

As mentioned earlier the Directv RC71 remote when programmed from the HR44 or C41 client will not use discrete codes.

Ok, I understand.  I am just having trouble seeing the "big deal"  use OFF for off and ON for ON

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#17 OFFLINE   Joe166

Joe166

AllStar

• Registered
  • 123 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 02:45 PM

Ok, I understand.  I am just having trouble seeing the "big deal"  use OFF for off and ON for ON

It is not a "big deal", but it is an inconvenience.   If, for some reason the genie doesn't get turned on when the on button is pushed the first time but the TV does turn on, the next push of the on button turns the TV off and the genie on.   Admittedly not the end of the world, but the previous remotes (and the Sony remotes that come with at least the five different Sony's I have right now) will only turn the TV off with the off button and will only turn the TV on with the on button.   In other words, as you stated a few weeks ago in another thread, unlike the older remotes the RC71 simply toggles the television power but works fine with the Genie no matter which of approximately 30 codes is used.    Seems not all that hard to fix, but what do I know?

#18 OFFLINE   lesz

lesz

Legend

• Registered
  • 216 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 03:54 PM

After several months of having my HR44 and the RC71 remotes, I went back to using my old RC65RX remotes.  Even though the position of my HR44 is such that there are times when, say, the dog will block the signal between the remote and the HR44 and it would be better if I could use a remote in RF mode, the ergonomics and reduced functionality of the RC71 convinced me that I'd rather use the RC65RX, even if I am restricted to using it in IR mode.  With several buttons on the RC71 serving multiple functions, with the lack of ability of the RC71 to be able to turn a sound bar on and off, and with idiosyncrises such as both the power on and power off toggling to turn the TV on and off, my conclusion was that the design of the RC71 was not thought out very well, and it just isn't worth using with what I see as significant disadvantages compared to the older remotes.

#19 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,904 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 13 September 2013 - 03:59 PM

There is no reason by this can't be corrected.  Particularly since Harmony has it right.  Here's why:

Press ON, on the RC71

TV turns on, HR44 or C41 does not.

So what do you do?  You press ON again.

Now the TV is off and you don't know that the HR44 or C41 turned on if it's in a cabinet.

Or even if out in the open, assume it's on.

So you have to press ON again to get the TV back on.

So in the time of about 10 secs, you've turned the TV on/off/on.

Or when you press OFF and one of the devices doesn't turn off, you get to play the game again.

The older remotes had a separate TV button. As this does not, it's more critical to get it right.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...