Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Making sure I get most out of install

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Tjay

Tjay

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 12:28 AM

Long winded sorry

So I am returning back to Directv(went to uverse and hated it) and have an appointment coming up for install.  

I ordered Genie with 3 clients. I want to make sure that I get the most out of install for future upgrades planned. 

So as I said just getting the special now, Genie with 3 clients. The Genie and 2 clients will go in Theater room, and 3rd client will go in home office.  I will eventually ad dvr's to the 3 of the bedrooms.  

What I think I need(correct me if wrong: 

Theater room needs>>>swm16>>>splitter to Genie and 2 clients.

Home office>>swm16   right to  3rd client

(added at later time)1st Bedroom  swm16 right to DVR(dont have yet)

2nd bedroom swm16 right to hr20<<<<<<owned by me from before I went to uverse

3rd  bedroom swm16 right to hr20<<<<owned

Dish is already installed(not sure which lnb) but it had swm16 setup before(swim16 is missing).  

So I am assuming that the installer will want to install a swm8(being I ordered just the genie + 3 clients. What else is need for Internet connection? MRV? Deca?

What will I need to ad  for the hr20's to work on MRV as well as NEW dvr (I still need to order)?  Do  I order the dvr now so that installer puts in the swm16 instead of swm 8?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,112 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 12:59 AM

I'd order the extra DVR now, and I'd also have them connect your other two DVRs when he's there. He might even swap them for you if your lucky for HR24 if he has them.

I can't figure out why you'd need a genie clients in the theater room next to the genie. What are you trying to accomplish?

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

#3 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,112 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 01:01 AM

I'd order the extra DVR now, and I'd also have them connect your other two DVRs when he's there. He might even swap them for you if your lucky for HR24 if he has them.

I can't figure out why you'd need a genie clients in the theater room next to the genie. What are you trying to accomplish?

I'd put the genie in the most used spot, the three clients in the 2nd through 3rd most used spots, and the DVRs in the places used after that, personally. Makes control easier since you have full access to the genie from a client. But that depends on how you use your system too. With your setup though, I see no reason you wouldn't record everything you watch.

#4 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,308 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 11 September 2013 - 05:28 AM

I'm guessing there are three displays in the theater room, hence the reason for the Genie and two clients in the same room? Because if there is only one TV/screen in the theater room, I can't think of a reason for a Genie and two minis in that one room.

Unless the TS goes over eight tuners, the installer will only put in a SWM8 system. And from all the posts here, that will be via a LNB. If you add to your system later, they will replace the LNB and then install the SWM16 multi-switch.  So, it MIGHT be cheaper to get it all done now.  You'd have to check with DirecTV.

#5 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,896 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 11 September 2013 - 11:33 AM

Long winded sorry

So I am returning back to Directv(went to uverse and hated it) and have an appointment coming up for install.  

I ordered Genie with 3 clients. I want to make sure that I get the most out of install for future upgrades planned. 

So as I said just getting the special now, Genie with 3 clients. The Genie and 2 clients will go in Theater room, and 3rd client will go in home office.  I will eventually ad dvr's to the 3 of the bedrooms.  

What I think I need(correct me if wrong: 

Theater room needs>>>swm16>>>splitter to Genie and 2 clients.

Home office>>swm16   right to  3rd client

(added at later time)1st Bedroom  swm16 right to DVR(dont have yet)

2nd bedroom swm16 right to hr20<<<<<<owned by me from before I went to uverse

3rd  bedroom swm16 right to hr20<<<<owned

Dish is already installed(not sure which lnb) but it had swm16 setup before(swim16 is missing).  

So I am assuming that the installer will want to install a swm8(being I ordered just the genie + 3 clients. What else is need for Internet connection? MRV? Deca?

What will I need to ad  for the hr20's to work on MRV as well as NEW dvr (I still need to order)?  Do  I order the dvr now so that installer puts in the swm16 instead of swm 8?

Have the installer hook up the HR20s now. They plus the Genie will give you 9 tuners and a need to have a SWiM-16 install now.

Once the SWiM-16 is in, you can deactivate the HR20 the next day if they not needed.

Edited by Drucifer, 11 September 2013 - 11:36 AM.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

Protected By... spam firewall...And...