Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Available Channels for AM21 in NYC

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   stevetanneyhill

stevetanneyhill

Mentor

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 08:34 AM

Hi Gang.

I purchased an AM21 to use in NYC with my HR34.  There are several good digital sub-channels in this area, so I was looking forward to receiving them.  As expected, several of the digital sub-channels were not in the DirecTV database.  What I didn't expect was that main feeds for both WPIX (11-1) and WNET (13-1) did not show up after the scan (and, of course, neither did their sub-channels).  I did the initial set-up twice and had the same results (and since the OTA scanning feature has recently been disabled on the HR34, that isn't an option). Does anyone else have this problem in NYC?  I'm not surprised that some of the sub-channels are missing, but I am surprised that the main feeds for both the CW and PBS affiliates are not there.  Could it be that I have a bum AM21 unit?

Thank you all in advance for your help.

Edited by stevetanneyhill, 11 September 2013 - 09:31 AM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 11 September 2013 - 09:22 AM

Just a note;

WPIX's main sub, should be "11-1." :)

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#3 OFFLINE   stevetanneyhill

stevetanneyhill

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 09:31 AM

Just a note;

WPIX's main sub, should be "11-1." :)

Woops!  Thanks.  I edited the op.

#4 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,097 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 09:52 AM

11.1 and 13.1 are apparently in the database, according to the OTA section of the transponder maps

What antenna are you trying to use?

Go to tvfool and check on signal strengths for your actual address and post back.

#5 OFFLINE   stevetanneyhill

stevetanneyhill

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 10:07 AM

11.1 and 13.1 are apparently in the database, according to the OTA section of the transponder maps

Go to tvfool and check on signal strengths for your actual address and post back.

I get very strong signals for both stations (When I hook the antenna to the tv).  Interestingly, I get all of the other (main) network feeds.

#6 OFFLINE   stevetanneyhill

stevetanneyhill

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 10:37 AM

Ok, I ran a 3rd initial setup and now the channels are being shown.  Thanks so much for the help!  (I'm guessing the AM21 requires a slightly stronger signal than the tuner that's in my tv).

#7 OFFLINE   ejbvt

ejbvt

AllStar

• Registered
  • 444 posts
  • LocationCentral NC

Posted 15 September 2013 - 07:41 AM

The AM21 just skips channels sometimes. It usually takes me 3 or 4 tries to get all of mine to show up. If you are missing subchannels, you can add another city's zip that includes the missing channels. The guide data will probably be wrong, unless the other city has the same network on the same subchannel number. 

DIRECTV: Genie (HR34) w/AM21 and 1 client.
AT&T: U-Verse Internet, Motorola modem and Samsung Galaxy S3 cell.
LG 42" (1080p, 120 Hz, 3D, Smart TV), Samsung 32" (1080p, 60 Hz)
Denon AVR591, Panasonic Blu Ray, Magnavox DVD player, Philips VCR, Terk HDTVo.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...