Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Connected Home Adapter

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   iwatchtv

iwatchtv

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 12:58 PM

When they installed DirecTV, the installer put in a DCA2SR0-01, "Connected home adapter". It plugged in to my router and then went in to the coax system.

I had a lightning strike that damaged some network stuff. The on-demand features of the HR34 box I had stopped worked, and when I went to Network settings it said it wasn't connected to the internet. So I figured this adapter was damaged.

So I took out the adapter and put ethernet in to HR34, and everything worked fine.

The reason I am asking is because I had run an ethernet line to where the HR34 is prior to DirecTV coming out, because I figued the box would need it (or could use it). But the installed decided to install this "Connected Home Adapter". Why do that if I had run the ethernet?

WIth the connected home adapter out, my HR34 and 2 x H25 still all seem to work fine.

Any tips on why install it in the first place?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   otaliema

otaliema

AllStar

• Registered
  • 171 posts
  • LocationMid-west USA

Posted 11 September 2013 - 01:18 PM

The connected home adapter is just a more stable way to connect the system in most cases if your working fine with out it, run with out it. The D* system recognizes that you have a internet connection due to being installed previously.  

Just put in a drawer and keep it safe if you ever have a tech come out for another reason you can ask to have it replaced at that time. 

I am a former DIRECTV employee however all statements opinions, views, expressions, etc, are entirely my own even if logic says otherwise.

They DO NOT reflect on DIRECTV and or any partner, affiliated company's, polices, processes, opinions, or things that are not listed here.

Set up. HR24-200, HR24-200, HR22-200, H23-600. Whole Home, BBCCK, SL3 SWiM.

I have found that working with computers is like working with a toddler, sometimes there is no reason for the melt down, just keep on moving forward.

#3 OFFLINE   iwatchtv

iwatchtv

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 01:31 PM

The connected home adapter is just a more stable way to connect the system in most cases if your working fine with out it, run with out it. The D* system recognizes that you have a internet connection due to being installed previously.  

Just put in a drawer and keep it safe if you ever have a tech come out for another reason you can ask to have it replaced at that time. 

Thanks for the input. So does that device just interface with the HR34 or does it have anything to do with the H25's?

#4 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,268 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 11 September 2013 - 01:42 PM

The device is an adapter that bridges the ethernet traffic on the coax network to your home network. The HR34 actually has this bridge built into it, which is why you were able to plug the Ethernet cable into it and it worked fine.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#5 OFFLINE   otaliema

otaliema

AllStar

• Registered
  • 171 posts
  • LocationMid-west USA

Posted 11 September 2013 - 02:30 PM

Perfect answer Merg.

The main reason I can think of that the tech put the adapter in is that when the HR34's first came out software bugs would cause the built in bridge to be inconsistent so techs to prevent roll backs would install the adapter and prevent the problem in the first place. Now I understand the software bug(s) causing that problem have been repaired and so it's not necessary anymore. 

I am a former DIRECTV employee however all statements opinions, views, expressions, etc, are entirely my own even if logic says otherwise.

They DO NOT reflect on DIRECTV and or any partner, affiliated company's, polices, processes, opinions, or things that are not listed here.

I have found that working with computers is like working with a toddler, sometimes there is no reason for the melt down, just keep on moving forward.

#6 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,268 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 11 September 2013 - 02:58 PM

Perfect answer Merg.
The main reason I can think of that the tech put the adapter in is that when the HR34's first came out software bugs would cause the built in bridge to be inconsistent so techs to prevent roll backs would install the adapter and prevent the problem in the first place. Now I understand the software bug(s) causing that problem have been repaired and so it's not necessary anymore.

That was part of the reason. Mostly though, it was that the techs thought the HR34 behaved the same way as the HR24, in that if an Ethernet cable was plugged in it would disable the internal DECA.

- Merg

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#7 OFFLINE   iwatchtv

iwatchtv

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 05:46 PM

That was part of the reason. Mostly though, it was that the techs thought the HR34 behaved the same way as the HR24, in that if an Ethernet cable was plugged in it would disable the internal DECA.

This tech even went as far as to plug an empty ethernet jack in to the ethernet port on the back of the HR34, as a reminder not to use it. This was a year ago. I am guessing he was thinking along the lines that you guys were.

#8 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,280 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 11 September 2013 - 07:37 PM

Perfect answer Merg.

Not quite.  Major real reason to connect the CCK when there is a Ethernet near the Genie, is installers DO NOT get pay to connect ethernet they do get pay to connect the CCK.  second reason, DirecTV says so.

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#9 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,280 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 11 September 2013 - 07:38 PM

This tech even went as far as to plug an empty ethernet jack in to the ethernet port on the back of the HR34, as a reminder not to use it. This was a year ago. I am guessing he was thinking along the lines that you guys were.

No, the empty RJ45 was installed by DirecTV I guess to prevent dust built up.  Now they have a rubber cap

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#10 OFFLINE   otaliema

otaliema

AllStar

• Registered
  • 171 posts
  • LocationMid-west USA

Posted 12 September 2013 - 08:49 AM

Not quite.  Major real reason to connect the CCK when there is a Ethernet near the Genie, is installers DO NOT get pay to connect ethernet they do get pay to connect the CCK.  second reason, DirecTV says so.

You said it not me ;)

#11 OFFLINE   iwatchtv

iwatchtv

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 09:18 AM

No, the empty RJ45 was installed by DirecTV I guess to prevent dust built up.  Now they have a rubber cap

Great info, thanks!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...