Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Using sub-boxes as your main box?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   iwatchtv

iwatchtv

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 01:34 PM

I tried searching for this, I'm sure it's been discussed.

I have a HR34 and 2 H25's. The H25's seem more responsive in the guide, and all around faster and smoother. But they can essentially do everything my HR34 can.

Has anyone ever taken the HR34 to a bed room or a less-used TV and used the smaller, more responsive box (H25 in my case) as their main TV box? I know the advantages to this (quicker, more responsive box), but are there disadvantages?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,268 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 11 September 2013 - 01:39 PM

The main disadvantage is that you don't have TrickPlay (FF, Pause, RW) on the H25's. You can get around that by recording everything you want to watch (even Live TV) and then playing it back from the HR34. You also won't have direct access to VOD, but can first download it on the HR34 and then play it back on the H25.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#3 OFFLINE   iwatchtv

iwatchtv

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 01:47 PM

The main disadvantage is that you don't have TrickPlay (FF, Pause, RW) on the H25's. You can get around that by recording everything you want to watch (even Live TV) and then playing it back from the HR34. You also won't have direct access to VOD, but can first download it on the HR34 and then play it back on the H25.

- Merg

Merg,

Thanks for your help again with this and the other thread. We don't really pause and rewind that much with live TV, we do on some of our recorded shows, but from what your saying it sounds like we can still do that.

Does the mini-genie suffer the same limitations? What is the designator of that unit (i.e. H25)?

#4 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,268 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 11 September 2013 - 01:50 PM

The Genie Mini (C31 or C41) are a tunerless device and use a tuner from the Genie. The advantage they have is that since they are really just a front-end for the Genie, you have full control of the Genie and all DVR functions wherever one is located. The downside to them is that if the Genie goes down you can't watch TV on the Mini either. The C41 is pretty fast. The C31 has a little bit of a lag.

- Merg

#5 OFFLINE   iwatchtv

iwatchtv

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 01:59 PM

The Genie Mini (C31 or C41) are a tunerless device and use a tuner from the Genie. The advantage they have is that since they are really just a front-end for the Genie, you have full control of the Genie and all DVR functions wherever one is located. The downside to them is that if the Genie goes down you can't watch TV on the Mini either. The C41 is pretty fast. The C31 has a little bit of a lag.

So if I have a HR34 and 2 H25's, if I want to add a TV I can ask for a C41? I can put the C41 on my main TV (for a more responsive box), have the HR34 on a lesser used TV, and then put the 2 H25's wherever? Can I mix and match all those together? If I did that would they have to send an installer out or can they just send the C41?

Thanks!

#6 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,268 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 11 September 2013 - 02:11 PM

So if I have a HR34 and 2 H25's, if I want to add a TV I can ask for a C41? I can put the C41 on my main TV (for a more responsive box), have the HR34 on a lesser used TV, and then put the 2 H25's wherever? Can I mix and match all those together? If I did that would they have to send an installer out or can they just send the C41?

Thanks!

You might be able to have them just send out the Mini if you have everything wired already. And yes, you can put the receivers anywhere that you want. One thing to be aware of is that if you ask for a Mini, you can get a C31 or a C41. You cannot specify a certain model. The only exception will be if you request the wireless C41, which also ships with another device for connecting it wirelessly. The C41W is probably more expensive than the C31/C41 though due to that. The typical cost of the C31/C41 is $99.

- Merg

#7 OFFLINE   iwatchtv

iwatchtv

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 02:41 PM

You might be able to have them just send out the Mini if you have everything wired already. And yes, you can put the receivers anywhere that you want. One thing to be aware of is that if you ask for a Mini, you can get a C31 or a C41. You cannot specify a certain model. The only exception will be if you request the wireless C41, which also ships with another device for connecting it wirelessly. The C41W is probably more expensive than the C31/C41 though due to that. The typical cost of the C31/C41 is $99.

- Merg

The wirless C41 doesn't need a coax hookup? But it CAN take a coax hookup? Also if I want to add a TV, I was under the impression that the initial hardware was free and I would pay the $6/month extra TV fee. Is that not correct?

#8 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,268 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 11 September 2013 - 03:03 PM

The wirless C41 doesn't need a coax hookup? But it CAN take a coax hookup? Also if I want to add a TV, I was under the impression that the initial hardware was free and I would pay the $6/month extra TV fee. Is that not correct?

Correct. It does not require a coax, but can take one. It will cost $6/month and while you might be able to get it for free, you might need to pay a fee for it. Since you already had your install, this is seen as additional equipment.

- Merg

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

#9 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 03:27 PM

Correct. It does not require a coax, but can take one. It will cost $6/month and while you might be able to get it for free, you might need to pay a fee for it. Since you already had your install, this is seen as additional equipment.

- Merg

Ummm, the C41W-100 doesn't have a coax input, so I'm not sure how it could take one?  As far as I know the C41W can only be used with the WVB.  Or are you letting the cat out of the bag for a different model (C41W-200 or C41W-500?).

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#10 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,268 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 11 September 2013 - 03:52 PM

Ummm, the C41W-100 doesn't have a coax input, so I'm not sure how it could take one? As far as I know the C41W can only be used with the WVB. Or are you letting the cat out of the bag for a different model (C41W-200 or C41W-500?).

Maybe I confused myself between my C41W and C31... :) It's been a while since I've had them hooked up.

- Merg

#11 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 03:56 PM

I have a customer with a Genie in the basement on a TV that judging by the dust, is never watched.  The system works fine and ever-buddy is happy.

Can't remember why the DirecTV guy wanted it there.  Only issue so far is the customer forgot it was there when it needed an RBR, and I had a service call.

{and yes, it took me a bit to remember where it was too}

:coffee

#12 OFFLINE   iwatchtv

iwatchtv

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 06:08 PM

Ummm, the C41W-100 doesn't have a coax input, so I'm not sure how it could take one?  As far as I know the C41W can only be used with the WVB.  Or are you letting the cat out of the bag for a different model (C41W-200 or C41W-500?).

Thanks for the info, I think your right

#13 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,962 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 11 September 2013 - 07:32 PM

Thanks for the info, I think your right

Yes, the C41w does NOT have a wired (coax) satellite input. Just wireless

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#14 OFFLINE   iwatchtv

iwatchtv

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 09:19 AM

Yes, the C41w does NOT have a wired (coax) satellite input. Just wireless

Thanks for info, not much out there on this box but I was able to view a picture of the back of it and your right, no coax.

#15 OFFLINE   iwatchtv

iwatchtv

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 09:20 AM

So between another H25 or a C31 or possibly C41, which would be better for me to ask for?

#16 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,268 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 12 September 2013 - 09:32 AM

So between another H25 or a C31 or possibly C41, which would be better for me to ask for?

It depends on what you want to do at the location. Do you want TrickPlay available (FF, RW, Pause) and to have full control of the Genie's Series Management and ToDo List? Or do you just want something to watch LiveTV on every now and then and will mostly use it to watch recordings via Whole Home. If the former, the client is what you want. If the latter, a H25 would be fine. Remember, if by slight chance the Genie stops working, the clients will not work either. Also, you won't be able to specify a C31 or C41 from DirecTV and you can't specify that you want an H25 either, only a HD receiver. If you want a C41 or H25 specifically, you'll need to order it from a retailer, like Solid Signal.

- Merg

#17 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,008 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 12 September 2013 - 11:02 AM

I'd go for the C41, or C31 if the former isn't available. Gives you more flexibility, and it's easy to swap these small units about. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#18 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,962 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:25 PM

I'll take an H25. I dont like to share my Genie tuners. I am stingy like that when it comes to the Genie

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#19 OFFLINE   iwatchtv

iwatchtv

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 12:03 PM

I'd go for the C41, or C31 if the former isn't available. Gives you more flexibility, and it's easy to swap these small units about. 

But like Merg said, you don't get a choice unless you are buying it?

#20 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,008 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 13 September 2013 - 02:52 PM

But like Merg said, you don't get a choice unless you are buying it?

That's correct, but the installer might have the 41s with him. It would then be a bit of a crap shoot. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...