Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Using sub-boxes as your main box?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 13 September 2013 - 02:56 PM

That's correct, but the installer might have the 41s with him. It would then be a bit of a crap shoot. 

That's if you are having an installer come out. If DirecTV is shipping the boxes to you then...

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   JBv

JBv

Godfather

• Registered
  • 806 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 14 September 2013 - 04:39 PM

So if I have a HR34 and 2 H25's, if I want to add a TV I can ask for a C41? I can put the C41 on my main TV (for a more responsive box), have the HR34 on a lesser used TV, and then put the 2 H25's wherever? Can I mix and match all those together? If I did that would they have to send an installer out or can they just send the C41?

Thanks!

Uhhh one thing to mention: a C41 or C31 is going to be slightly less responsive than the HR34, as the Cx1 is simply an extension of the Genie.

So if you want to add one and chose a Cx1 you would not want it at your main TV.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app
DirecTV Employee
The postings on this site are my own and do not represent DirecTV's positions, strategies, or opinions.

#23 OFFLINE   iwatchtv

iwatchtv

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 11:15 AM

Uhhh one thing to mention: a C41 or C31 is going to be slightly less responsive than the HR34, as the Cx1 is simply an extension of the Genie.

So if you want to add one and chose a Cx1 you would not want it at your main TV.

Have you used the C41/C31 and find it to be about the same responsiveness as the HR34?

#24 OFFLINE   JBv

JBv

Godfather

• Registered
  • 806 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 16 September 2013 - 12:18 PM

Have you used the C41/C31 and find it to be about the same responsiveness as the HR34?

I have a C41, and I find it to be the same to ever so slightly slower. It's an extension of the Genie. It is running everything off the Genie so it is not possible for it to be faster.

DirecTV Employee
The postings on this site are my own and do not represent DirecTV's positions, strategies, or opinions.

#25 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,121 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 02:44 PM

Clients have always been slightly slower than the genie they are connected to but, they seem to be faster than the slowest DVrs. The clients connected to hr44 are very fast.

#26 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,724 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 16 September 2013 - 03:20 PM

If outright speed is your benchmark, short of slapping an HR44 in the room, the H25 is a screamer. Wired client only machines transit signals to and from the HR3x machine requiring conversions to and from IP packets. They are amazingly good and give one full DVR access and functionality but if your HR34 is not fast enough, it's clients won't be.

Wireless clients require an additional device called a wireless video bridge and it requires a coax connection but that can be in another room from the wireless client itself. These are nearly indistinguishable from the wired clients in operation or performance but run a few seconds behind live so if you have a live audio feed within earshot of the wireless client on the same program it can be a tad confusing.

The WVB as it is referred to, converts the wired IP traffic to a dedicated wireless network and transmits it's output and your remote commands between the HMC and the Wireless client. It uses a frequency band not commonly used here in most US wireless applications so has little interference with existing wireless networking (yours or from nearby neighbors).

Of course the only way to ensure you get a particular model is to lease procure it from solidsignal or weaknees.

Don "lots you could do but if sheer speed is your need, the H25 trumps all but the HR44 itself" Bolton

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doing in a rustic setting like this?

#27 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,725 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 16 September 2013 - 05:01 PM

It uses a frequency band not commonly used here in most US wireless applications so has little interference with existing wireless networking (yours or from nearby neighbors).

just curious, what frequencies are used by the WVB.  I know it uses the wireless n protocol, but on what frequency

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#28 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,724 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 16 September 2013 - 05:30 PM

5ghz N band channels. Most traffic here in the US is on 2.4. I have one sitting next to an occupied cordless phone charging station with no issues whatsoever. Don "really the tech isn't as important as the fact that it WORKS" Bolton

just curious, what frequencies are used by the WVB. I know it uses the wireless n protocol, but on what frequency
Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doing in a rustic setting like this?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...