Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

I'm a total newbie and need advice/ help from the experts

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bamajas13

bamajas13

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 05:50 PM

I have been using a standard def Directv dish and receiver for tailgating for years. I can align that dish no problem and quickly. I just bought a directv sl3 hd dish and I have an H23 hd receiver. I need advice/help to align the dish. I don't need it perfect just good enough for the day at my tailgate. Any hints or links would most appreciated.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,418 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 11 September 2013 - 05:59 PM

The only needs you didn't mention are a 2" OD tripod and a 21 volt Power Inserter.

Alignment is not something you can just get "close enough" on. It will take practice and ongoing patience if you're serious about receiving the HD channels.

Use http://www.dishpointer.com to figure out what the settings should be BEFORE you leave and set the azimuth and elevation at home. In this way, you can level the tripod and spin the dish to get things started with dialing it in.

There's a very specific reason the Slimline has adjusting screws on it: bumping it back and forth won't get it.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#3 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,333 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 11 September 2013 - 07:06 PM

The only needs you didn't mention are a 2" OD tripod and a 21 volt Power Inserter.

TS said SL3, so it appears os not SWM

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#4 OFFLINE   bamajas13

bamajas13

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 07:10 PM

I went with the non swm so I wouldn't have to carry the extra power inverter. I have the tripod and mast.

#5 ONLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,267 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 11 September 2013 - 07:29 PM

Remember, no B Band Converter (BBC) for an H23 on legacy.

Just in case you may have attached one.

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#6 OFFLINE   BobStokesbary

BobStokesbary

Legend

• Registered
  • 220 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 01:04 PM

One of the more common errors on setting up a slimline dish is getting the initial elevation setting done correctly. The elevation should be set so that the red line on the inner side of the elevation bracket lines up with the elevation markings on the outside of the bracket. If you are using the side of the inner elevation bracket you will be way off. (Unfortunately, I know this from experience.)

#7 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,333 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 12 September 2013 - 01:35 PM

One of the more common errors on setting up a slimline dish is getting the initial elevation setting done correctly. The elevation should be set so that the red line on the inner side of the elevation bracket lines up with the elevation markings on the outside of the bracket. If you are using the side of the inner elevation bracket you will be way off. (Unfortunately, I know this from experience.)

The "red" line is sometimes white as well

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

Protected By... spam firewall...And...