Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR24-200 response is incredibly slow

Response

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   DrummerBoy523

DrummerBoy523

Godfather

• Registered
  • 481 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 10:08 PM

First Keypress after unit is off takes 20-40 secs.  Later keypresses take the same.  Replaced batteries in remote - no change.  What's going on?  Any clues?  I am tired of getting a release and having my units slow to a crawl.  Almost un-usable.

• Swim LNB
  • HR21-200 Bonus Room
  • HR24-200 Family Room
  • H24-100 Bedroom
  • MRV enabled

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,307 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 11 September 2013 - 10:43 PM

When you raised this question in another thread, I replied to your speculation that it could be related to macros. It probably is. Try reading the thread you said you looked at, and I think you'll find a key to it. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#3 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,836 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 12 September 2013 - 06:02 AM

First Keypress after unit is off takes 20-40 secs.  Later keypresses take the same.  Replaced batteries in remote - no change.  What's going on?  Any clues?  I am tired of getting a release and having my units slow to a crawl.  Almost un-usable.

I have 2 HR24-100 DVRs.

The one in the bedroom is fast. I turn it on, as soon as there is a picture the remote works and is fast.

The one in the den is a different story. I turn it on and after the picture comes to the screen it is now taking 70 seconds before the Guide or any other key press will be registered. After that it works as it should.

I have done a Restart Receiver, Cleared the NVRAM, Deleted about 25% of my recordings which leaves me with 80% free space and I have no Keyword or Macro searches.

When I first noticed this it was taking 40 seconds to react to the first press of a remote button and as time goes by it is slowly increasing.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#4 OFFLINE   otaliema

otaliema

AllStar

• Registered
  • 171 posts
  • LocationMid-west USA

Posted 12 September 2013 - 08:36 AM

This was/is a known issue with HDDVR's. IIRCC the fix was to put the receiver and remote in RF mode if the remote supports it.

You can tell it's RF by a FCC sticker on the back of the remote, or the ID in the top left goes like this RCXXR(XX).

if your remote is not RF and is a RC64 or RC65 ID try to disable model ID on the remote.

in DTV mode on the remote

Mute+Select

input code 963

Four blinks after the code means it's off

Two blinks means it's on. 

This can in some cases speed up the response of the unit to the remote as it removes the identification coding from the commands so the unit doesn't need to sift extra data to get the command request. 

I am a former DIRECTV employee however all statements opinions, views, expressions, etc, are entirely my own even if logic says otherwise.

They DO NOT reflect on DIRECTV and or any partner, affiliated company's, polices, processes, opinions, or things that are not listed here.

Set up. HR24-200, HR24-200, HR22-200, H23-600. Whole Home, BBCCK, SL3 SWiM.

I have found that working with computers is like working with a toddler, sometimes there is no reason for the melt down, just keep on moving forward.

#5 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,836 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 12 September 2013 - 10:07 AM

I did the 963 code and got 2 links before I turned my slow start receiver and it did nothing to help it.

I use 2 different remotes and don't want to go thru switching them to RF.

One is when I use the TV speakers and the other is to use the Yamaha surround sound and speakers.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#6 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,395 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 12 September 2013 - 11:24 AM

When I have issues with my 24s such as yours, I flush the Guide data and that usually clears the problems up.  Not always, but most of the time.

Rich

#7 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,836 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 12 September 2013 - 11:27 AM

I will try that Monday morning and let it build the guide during the day. I have lots scheduled to record starting tomorrow morning.

It is not a real problem since it acts fine after that.

Edited by jimmie57, 13 September 2013 - 06:12 AM.

#8 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,306 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:22 PM

Perhaps a bad hard drive. Have you tried running the BIST test

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#9 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,395 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 13 September 2013 - 11:45 AM

Perhaps a bad hard drive. Have you tried running the BIST test

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

Not usually a symptom of a bad HDD, in Jimmie's case.  Easy enough to find out, all he's gotta do is stick an external drive on the HR.  But, I guess it could be.  

Rich

#10 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,836 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 13 September 2013 - 12:17 PM

I did the double restart yesterday after I got off of here.

This helped a little bit. It now takes 40 seconds instead of the 70 seconds after the TV comes on.

#11 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,836 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 13 September 2013 - 12:34 PM

Smart Short test and File system test both Passed.

Running Smart Long test now.

Appears this test takes one minute for one percent of testing. Edit: This test finally finished with a Passed.

What is the LBA Fix  ?

There were some other tests for internals before getting to the hard drive tests ? What about those ?

Thanks

Edited by jimmie57, 14 September 2013 - 08:38 AM.

#12 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,836 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 14 September 2013 - 08:40 AM

After running the 3 tests yesterday ( File System, Smart Short  and Smart Long ) ,

this morning the TV started up and after the picture was on the screen I pressed the Guide button and it popped right up. No delay time at all.

It is as if just the running of the tests did something to help.

#13 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,307 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 14 September 2013 - 08:43 AM

I've always assumed (danger!) that the long test mapped out bad HD sectors.....? 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#14 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,836 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 14 September 2013 - 08:56 AM

I've always assumed (danger!) that the long test mapped out bad HD sectors.....? 

I have about 15 or more recordings. I will FF thru them to see if anything pops up. I will post back the results.

Update: I have reviewed all my recordings using FF4 and do not see anything unusual. I still appear to have the same amount of Free Space on my drive.

For anyone reading this make sure you have about 2-1/2-3 hours to run these 3 tests. The Smart Long test takes about 100 minutes to run it.

Update: It appears that the one fast start up was it's limit or a fluke.

My start up time / response to remote has gone back to 70 seconds.

I am done with this one.

Edited by jimmie57, 15 September 2013 - 10:04 AM.

#15 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,836 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 17 September 2013 - 09:41 AM

I had an idea this morning and I tried it.

I know that IR interference can cause a lot of problems. The difference between my 2 setups is the TV is a different brand.

Just now I turned on the DirecTV receiver only. I then pressed the Guide, Exit, Menu , Exit, etc. and all worked instantly. No 70 second wait.

I then turned on my TV and the remote stopped working until the TV warmed up. Yep, 70 seconds.

One of these days I will try the RF mode just to see how it works.

#16 OFFLINE   Jon J

Jon J

Grouch Extrordinaire

• Registered
  • 1,156 posts
  • LocationMusic City, USA

Posted 17 September 2013 - 10:01 AM

I have RF remote active on my HR24 and no macros.  It consistently take 7-10 seconds to recognize a keypress.  All responses are maddingly slow.  My HR 20s and 21 using IR respond instantly to keypresses.

When news breaks...we fix it.

#17 OFFLINE   otaliema

otaliema

AllStar

• Registered
  • 171 posts
  • LocationMid-west USA

Posted 17 September 2013 - 10:03 AM

I had an idea this morning and I tried it.

I know that IR interference can cause a lot of problems. The difference between my 2 setups is the TV is a different brand.

Just now I turned on the DirecTV receiver only. I then pressed the Guide, Exit, Menu , Exit, etc. and all worked instantly. No 70 second wait.

I then turned on my TV and the remote stopped working until the TV warmed up. Yep, 70 seconds.

One of these days I will try the RF mode just to see how it works.

Sounds like it's high probability of IR interference from the TV. You can determine this extremely quickly with some blue painters tape if you have any on hand. put a piece over the IR sensor of the receiver. The problem is most prevalent with VIZO TV's. 

You can try regular masking tape but I've not heard if that works or not. I know the blue painters tape does work for IR interference. 

I am a former DIRECTV employee however all statements opinions, views, expressions, etc, are entirely my own even if logic says otherwise.

They DO NOT reflect on DIRECTV and or any partner, affiliated company's, polices, processes, opinions, or things that are not listed here.

Set up. HR24-200, HR24-200, HR22-200, H23-600. Whole Home, BBCCK, SL3 SWiM.

I have found that working with computers is like working with a toddler, sometimes there is no reason for the melt down, just keep on moving forward.

#18 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,836 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 17 September 2013 - 11:24 AM

I have used Scotch tape on my dead HR23 when I had it. You put it on and then color over it with a magic marker or marks a lot and it works just fine.

Once the TV warms up the response to the remote  is instant so it is not a big deal.

#19 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,836 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 17 September 2013 - 11:30 AM

I have RF remote active on my HR24 and no macros.  It consistently take 7-10 seconds to recognize a keypress.  All responses are maddingly slow.  My HR 20s and 21 using IR respond instantly to keypresses.

Thanks.

#20 OFFLINE   LiQiCE

LiQiCE

Mentor

• Registered
  • 232 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted 17 September 2013 - 11:51 AM

Do any of you guys have Keyword Autorecord Series Recordings (some people also call these ARSLs)?

An example of an ARSL would be one that uses a boolean keyword like "AALL" or "AANY" ?

I had problems with my HR23 taking well over a minute to start up until I removed my ARSL.  Also I had an HR24 that would stop responding to remote commands for ~60 seconds or so.  The non-responsive slowness didn't happen all the time - but it happened often enough to be very annoying.  It wasn't just bringing up the guide or specific actions, it would freeze at seemingly random times doing all different things.

Here are a few videos showing my HR24 becoming non-responsive:

Unfortunately I don't have a video of the HR23 taking long to power up with the ARSL.

The quick solution was to remove all ARSLs and manually search and record things. 

My final solution ended up being changing my ARSL.  I changed from "AALL HDTV RANGERS" & Sports & Hockey to "AALL RANGERS" & Sports & Hockey and the slow downs stopped.  I was also told using "AALL RANGERS EVENTS" & Sports & Hockey might be a good solution to prevent recording of Pre and Post game shows - but never got around to changing it on my HR24.

Hope this helps someone.  jimmie57 I know you were closely following the ARSL issue so I don't think this is your issue, but it might help others.

Owned: HR44-700, HR24-500

Leased: HR24-100

Protected By... spam firewall...And...