Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR24-200 response is incredibly slow

Response

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,846 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 17 September 2013 - 12:26 PM

I don't have any of those keywords, etc. for searches.

When I press a button on the remote, the power light does not flash. This tells me the signal is not registering in the receiver at all.

After the initial delay on startup, I have not delays of any button presses.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#22 OFFLINE   otaliema

otaliema

AllStar

• Registered
  • 171 posts
  • LocationMid-west USA

Posted 17 September 2013 - 01:13 PM

I have used Scotch tape on my dead HR23 when I had it. You put it on and then color over it with a magic marker or marks a lot and it works just fine.

Once the TV warms up the response to the remote  is instant so it is not a big deal.

good to know thank you. 

After rereading your post more awake this time  :sleeping: sounds like it's only a problem when the TV is cold? 

Are you connected with HDMI? have  you tried a new cable or changing over to component cabling?

I am a former DIRECTV employee however all statements opinions, views, expressions, etc, are entirely my own even if logic says otherwise.

They DO NOT reflect on DIRECTV and or any partner, affiliated company's, polices, processes, opinions, or things that are not listed here.

Set up. HR24-200, HR24-200, HR22-200, H23-600. Whole Home, BBCCK, SL3 SWiM.

I have found that working with computers is like working with a toddler, sometimes there is no reason for the melt down, just keep on moving forward.

#23 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,846 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 17 September 2013 - 01:33 PM

good to know thank you. 

After rereading your post more awake this time  :sleeping: sounds like it's only a problem when the TV is cold? 

Are you connected with HDMI? have  you tried a new cable or changing over to component cabling?

It is IR interference. I am sure of this.

I am connected using the Component cable set up.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#24 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• Registered
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 17 September 2013 - 03:24 PM

What I found to truly "wake up" the HR24 was to change channels repeatedly in quick motion, which will get better response, but if you don't use any of the menus or have the same channel for a long time, then it slows down again.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#25 OFFLINE   otaliema

otaliema

AllStar

• Registered
  • 171 posts
  • LocationMid-west USA

Posted 17 September 2013 - 03:38 PM

It is IR interference. I am sure of this.

I am connected using the Component cable set up.

Gotcha, well program the remote to RF, I know you mentioned you had two remotes, you could program AV1/2 to sound system and volume lock that mode but don't unlock the remote first that way it controls said system when in that mode but the main sound system in in DTV mode.  Or is it unlock it in tv mode but don't lock it in another mode to do that. gah been too long senece i tried lol

What I found to truly "wake up" the HR24 was to change channels repeatedly in quick motion, which will get better response, but if you don't use any of the menus or have the same channel for a long time, then it slows down again.

Odd it's like it's building foot prints in the memory like windows/andorids with recently used programs...

Edited by otaliema, 17 September 2013 - 04:10 PM.

I am a former DIRECTV employee however all statements opinions, views, expressions, etc, are entirely my own even if logic says otherwise.

They DO NOT reflect on DIRECTV and or any partner, affiliated company's, polices, processes, opinions, or things that are not listed here.

Set up. HR24-200, HR24-200, HR22-200, H23-600. Whole Home, BBCCK, SL3 SWiM.

I have found that working with computers is like working with a toddler, sometimes there is no reason for the melt down, just keep on moving forward.

#26 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,846 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:36 PM

You won't believe what I am trying now.

I moved my TV forward on the stand about 3 inches. I moved the DVR towards the rear of the stand about 3 inches to get it to not be located in front of the TV screen.

Next I cut a 3 inch wide top of a cardboard box lid about 12 inches long.

Then I scotch taped it to the top of the DVR and made about 2 inches of it stick out from the face of the DVR, kinda like the eve on the house roof.

Remote works really well.

Will see what it does in the morning after it has slept all night.

I will post back the results after 2 cold start ups.

Edited by jimmie57, 29 November 2013 - 11:27 AM.

#27 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,447 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:08 AM

I have 2 HR24-100 DVRs.

The one in the bedroom is fast. I turn it on, as soon as there is a picture the remote works and is fast.

The one in the den is a different story. I turn it on and after the picture comes to the screen it is now taking 70 seconds before the Guide or any other key press will be registered. After that it works as it should.

I have done a Restart Receiver, Cleared the NVRAM, Deleted about 25% of my recordings which leaves me with 80% free space and I have no Keyword or Macro searches.

When I first noticed this it was taking 40 seconds to react to the first press of a remote button and as time goes by it is slowly increasing.

Which TV is attached to the 24 that is giving you problems?  

Rich

#28 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,447 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:14 AM

You won't believe what I am trying now.

I moved my TV forward on the stand about 3 inches. I moved the DVR towards the rear of the stand about 3 inches to get it to not be located in front of the TV screen.

Next I cut a 3 inch wide top of a cardboard box lid about 12 inches long.

Then I scotched taped it to the top of the DVR and made about 2 inches of it stick out from the face of the DVR, kinda like the eve on the house roof.

Remote works really well.

Will see what it does in the morning after it has slept all night.

I will post back the results after 2 cold start ups.

I've always had quite a few HRs that I don't use for viewing.  They are used as servers.  When I do have to use one of them, I've come to expect a bit of a wake up period.  I think that must be inherent in the HRs.  Just an opinion based on personal experience.  I only use 3 HRs and the other 9 as servers. I never see that wake up problem on the 3 I use constantly and almost always see it on the servers.  It's gotten to the point that I expect a delay on startup with the servers.

Rich

#29 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,846 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 18 September 2013 - 07:58 AM

Which TV is attached to the 24 that is giving you problems?  

Rich

Samsung.

LOL, the shade / blocker over the edge / moving the DVR back and moving the TV forward worked. I just turned it on. When the picture came to the screen I pressed the Guide button and the power light flashed and the Guide popped right up. Pressed the Exit button and it did.

It is amazing that such a little thing could make a difference in the response of the remote.

Of course this is jut one startup. I will check it again tomorrow morning and see if it truly is fixed.

Edit / Addition: This might be one of the reasons the receiver in the bedroom responded better than the one in the den. The receiver in the bedroom is on a shelf under the TV. The TV is on the top and the material for the stand is all wood. The stand in the den is set up the same way except it is a metal frame and glass shelves. The glass might have been allowing the IR rays to go thru to the face of  the DVR and the wood was not.

Edited by jimmie57, 18 September 2013 - 08:36 AM.

#30 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,447 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:48 AM

Samsung.

LOL, the shade / blocker over the edge / moving the DVR back and moving the TV forward worked. I just turned it on. When the picture came to the screen I pressed the Guide button and the power light flashed and the Guide popped right up. Pressed the Exit button and it did.

It is amazing that such a little thing could make a difference in the response of the remote.

Of course this is jut one startup. I will check it again tomorrow morning and see if it truly is fixed.

Edit / Addition: This might be one of the reasons the receiver in the bedroom responded better than the one in the den. The receiver in the bedroom is on a shelf under the TV. The TV is on the top and the material for the stand is all wood. The stand in the den is set up the same way except it is a metal frame and glass shelves. The glass might have been allowing the IR rays to go thru to the face of  the DVR and the wood was not.

Samsung.  Huh.  That's kinda disappointing.  Hoped it was the Vizio.  All I have is plasmas and I've never had a problem.  No wonder the Guide data flush didn't help.  Live and learn.  

You'd think the TV manufacturers would be aware of this problem and fix it somehow, wouldn't you?

Rich

#31 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,447 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:56 AM

Samsung.  Huh.  That's kinda disappointing.  Hoped it was the Vizio.  All I have is plasmas and I've never had a problem.  No wonder the Guide data flush didn't help.  Live and learn.  

You'd think the TV manufacturers would be aware of this problem and fix it somehow, wouldn't you?

Rich

#32 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,846 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 18 September 2013 - 11:05 AM

I have been hearing IR problems ever since I got on the Forums.

DirecTV has so much problems with IR interference I would think they would put a better filter in the front of the box to filter is out.

You never hear of the TV volume, etc. or my Yamaha, etc. having a problem responding, it seems to always be the receiver for DirecTV.

I had turned it off this morning after I posted and I just turned the system on again. Works instantly now as soon as there is a picture on the TV so that you can see what it did.

Edit / Add:  3 times in a row with instant response to the remote on a cold fresh start up. I am certain that the 2" wide shield of cardboard over the front of the receiver  is doing the job of blocking the IR that is coming from the TV and thru the glass surface between the TV and the DirecTV receiver..

Edited by jimmie57, 19 September 2013 - 09:59 AM.

#33 OFFLINE   DrummerBoy523

DrummerBoy523

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 481 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 01:25 PM

When you raised this question in another thread, I replied to your speculation that it could be related to macros. It probably is. Try reading the thread you said you looked at, and I think you'll find a key to it. 

Thanks.  I've been off the grid for a month on tour so haven't had a chance to be home to check this all out.  I am not even sure what thread I was looking at honestly.  All I remember is some static on here regarding the AALL option.

• Swim LNB
  • HR21-200 Bonus Room
  • HR24-200 Family Room
  • H24-100 Bedroom
  • MRV enabled

#34 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,351 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 07 October 2013 - 01:33 PM

Thanks.  I've been off the grid for a month on tour so haven't had a chance to be home to check this all out.  I am not even sure what thread I was looking at honestly.  All I remember is some static on here regarding the AALL option.

Heh. I've forgotten, too. If not a hassle, you could simply delete all macros and see if that does it rather than searching threads. I seldom use them myself, but there are a handful of guys who're adept with them. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#35 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,351 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 01:33 PM

May I ask what band you bang for? (On drums, nothing else implied!!) :)

#36 OFFLINE   DrummerBoy523

DrummerBoy523

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 481 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 02:48 PM

Heh. I've forgotten, too. If not a hassle, you could simply delete all macros and see if that does it rather than searching threads. I seldom use them myself, but there are a handful of guys who're adept with them. 

We live by them.  I'm gone a lot and need to have them. 

May I ask what band you bang for? (On drums, nothing else implied!!) :)

I'm a hired gun.  In this case, I was playing for a small off-broadway musical tour on the east coast as a sub for a guy who got sick. 

• Swim LNB
  • HR21-200 Bonus Room
  • HR24-200 Family Room
  • H24-100 Bedroom
  • MRV enabled

#37 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,351 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 06:05 PM

Cool. I hope others will chime in to give some answers here and in the other thread. I am too inexperienced with macros here to help much. 

Don't forget you can also remote record via iPhone, iPad, or DirecTV's website. 

#38 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 08 October 2013 - 08:38 AM

I use Boolean search ARSL's on all 3 of my HR2x models....a 20 and two 22 models...and we all know the 22's are not the speediest dvrs....I rarely see any sluggishness, but occasionally I do and just perform a menu restart, other times I may find a HDD starting to fail, so I grab a new drive, copy all the shows over to the new drive and hook it back up....speed comes right back...I use external encliosures housing 2TB drives on all 3....its very easy to swap/replace a failing HDD.  I've gone through about 5 drives between my 3 dvrs over the last 6 years.

#39 OFFLINE   DrummerBoy523

DrummerBoy523

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 481 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 09:30 PM

I'd like to resurrect this.  My HR24 is killing me.  After staying on a channel for any length of time, the remote stops responding.  I've got the remote in RF mode.  I have a Vizio TV.  The receiver is under the TV to the left.  I've removed the ARSLs.  I just am at a loss as to what to do.

FYI, I used to have an HR21 in this same location - swapped it with the HR24 and put a Genie down where the HR24 was (haven't updated my sig yet).  The HR21 was ridiculously slow so I assumed it was dying which is why I moved the HR24 up here.  Unfortunately, I'm having the same issues.

Any clues what could be causing this remote/receiver sluggishness?  I notice the HR24 will eventually receive the remote command (flickering light on unit) but the unit wont respond for up to 30 seconds.  For example, if I press INFO, if and only if the unit receives the command, it takes 30 seconds to show the info bar.  After it "wakes up", it will work until I quit pressing keys, and then it "goes back to sleep".  Sometimes, I have to press a key 10-20 times before the unit will respond.

Very frustrating.

Thoughts?

• Swim LNB
  • HR21-200 Bonus Room
  • HR24-200 Family Room
  • H24-100 Bedroom
  • MRV enabled

#40 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,846 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 29 November 2013 - 11:35 AM

Drummerboy523

I know that you are in RF mode on the remote, but, as a test,

the next time you think it will not receive the remote signal use your TV remote and turn the TV to OFF.

Then press the Info or other button and see if the light on the DTV receiver flashes.

If it does, turn the TV back on and see if it took the remote command.

Edited by jimmie57, 29 November 2013 - 11:36 AM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...