Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Upgrading To Genie...Anything Else Needed?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   johnnole163

johnnole163

• Registered
  • 3 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 12 September 2013 - 08:37 AM

Hi all, 

I currently have the following receiver setup

HR24

H25

According to the menu on the receiver I have:

Dish Type: Slimline-3S (SWM)
Switch Type: SWM
Power Inserter: Pi21R1-03

I am wanting to swap out the H25 for a HR44 and also keep the HR24. Will I need anything extra to do this switch? I'm a little confused about the whole SWM setup and if I will be able to run all the tuners. 

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,247 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 12 September 2013 - 08:42 AM

You'll be fine. You have a SWM-LNB, which can handle up to 8 tuners. With the Genie and the HR24, you will have 7 tuners (Genie - 5, HR24 - 2). Just swap the H25 out for the Genie and you'll be good to go. Just as some further info, if you currently have a Cinema Connection Kit to connect your receivers back to your router, you can get rid of that once you have the Genie. Just plug the Ethernet cable that goes to the CCK into the Genie instead. You might also want to put the Genie where the HR24 is and the HR24 where the H25 is assuming the HR24 is in the main viewing area now.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#3 OFFLINE   johnnole163

johnnole163

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 12 September 2013 - 07:01 PM

You'll be fine. You have a SWM-LNB, which can handle up to 8 tuners. With the Genie and the HR24, you will have 7 tuners (Genie - 5, HR24 - 2). Just swap the H25 out for the Genie and you'll be good to go. Just as some further info, if you currently have a Cinema Connection Kit to connect your receivers back to your router, you can get rid of that once you have the Genie. Just plug the Ethernet cable that goes to the CCK into the Genie instead. You might also want to put the Genie where the HR24 is and the HR24 where the H25 is assuming the HR24 is in the main viewing area now.

- Merg

I did plan on moving the HR24 to the bedroom and putting the HR44 in the living room where it will get the most use. Do I need to move the power inserter with the HR24 to the bedroom or will it stay in line with the HR44?

Also, if I plug the ethernet cable into the back of the HR44 Genie and get rid of the CCK will the internet functions still work on the HR24 in the other room?

#4 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,606 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 12 September 2013 - 07:16 PM

Yes, on the ethernet assuming your whole home cabling is intact. 

Leave the PI just where it is and move only the receiver.

Enjoy!

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

spam firewall