Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Internet service faster?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 735 posts
  • LocationGreat lakes, NW Pa.

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:17 PM

whats the best service twc offers for internet? Are there caps? throttling?

I have Verizon dsl no contract, no caps, but my speed is slow, and if I want to go up to next tier [ "up to "3mgs- you know it is never the high end] it wil go from 15 a month to about 34$ or so.  I'm grandfathered in at that price, if I shift, I lose that. So I am looking at all options.

What's the best/cheapest from TWC? I don't want their tv, I have Dish and am good with that.

thanks

chris

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,762 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:33 PM

I guess this may vary by location. I Have Optimum Online which is pretty much TWC. I have the 100/35 package. it rocks!!! no caps that I am aware of

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#3 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 05:59 PM

I Have Optimum Online which is pretty much TWC.

Optimum Online is Cablevision, not TWC. Satcrazy doesn't list a location, so I'm going to assume that, like me, the only broadband options are Verizon DSL and TWC. In my area the fastest TWC Internet option is 50mbs down and 5 up. Don't know the exact price for that, but when I signed up 3 years ago, also switching from Verizon DSL, it was $34.99/mo. for standard Internet for one year and then it shot up to $59.99. Looks like it's $61.49 now. You might want to go to http://www.getcableoffers.com/ and see what turns up.

Ceton 6 tuner eth, Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and Standard Internet, TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB) for OTA,TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device, Xbox 360 

#4 OFFLINE   EdJ

EdJ

Legend

• Registered
  • 163 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 09:31 AM

whats the best service twc offers for internet? Are there caps? throttling?

I have Verizon dsl no contract, no caps, but my speed is slow, and if I want to go up to next tier [ "up to "3mgs- you know it is never the high end] it wil go from 15 a month to about 34$ or so.  I'm grandfathered in at that price, if I shift, I lose that. So I am looking at all options.

What's the best/cheapest from TWC? I don't want their tv, I have Dish and am good with that.

thanks

I have DISH for television and Time Warner for the Internet.  I currently get 16.06 Mbps Download and 1.06 Mbps Upload.  That is per Speakeasy Speed Test.  Of course that will vary somewhat depending on the time of day.  I bought my own cable modem and they charge me $55 a month for the Internet access only.  This is for the 'standard' service....  They now charge an extra amount if you use their cable modem.  The employees of some companies can get discounts for Internet access.  For instance, my son works for Lockheed and he pays only $35 a month for the same service.....  I download a lot of stuff off of Usenet and have never seen any slowing of speed after heavy usage.

#5 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 735 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 02:11 PM

Thanks for the reply!

I'm in NW PA. with Verizon and twc [ good guess bidger] 

Jeez,  paying double after the first year hardly seems worth it. I think standard internet with cable is about 10mg which is fine,  and its good to see no caps or throttling. The cost after the first year is crappy.

I'm pretty sure you are required to "rent their modem" which is extra. Maybe not the best deal.

chris

#6 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 07:13 PM

I'm pretty sure you are required to "rent their modem" which is extra. Maybe not the best deal.

You do have the option for owned equipment. When I signed up for TWC Internet online in 2010 it included a Motorola cable modem w/ 802.11g wireless that was free after two mail-in rebates. at the time they weren't charging for modems, but two years later they started and I was glad I had it in place.

TWC isn't a low-cost Internet option...well, they do have "Lite" and "Basic" options, but honestly if that's what you want then DSL would suffice. I wish there were an equal quality alternative available, but until then I don't feel "cheated" when I have the quality Internet TWC provides. Going back to Verizon DSL would feel like going back to dial-up.

Ceton 6 tuner eth, Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and Standard Internet, TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB) for OTA,TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device, Xbox 360 

#7 OFFLINE   Cyber36

Cyber36

Legend

• Registered
  • 274 posts
  • LocationByron NY

Posted 07 October 2013 - 07:09 AM

When they(TWC) implemented the new surcharge for the modem maintenance fee, the least they could have done is issue you a brand new modem. The one I WAS paying for was at least 8 yrs. old. I think they're getting too big for their britches, & had to let them go after 21 yrs. Customer service has to be one of the WORST in the business, with Verizon a close second.........

#8 OFFLINE   PK6301

PK6301

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 315 posts
  • LocationErie, PA

Posted 10 October 2013 - 05:44 AM

I had Verizon DSL for 1 week. Hated the service, went with TWC. I have 20 up and about 2 down and pay around $40..I bought my own modem for about $75..it is a Motorola SB 6121.. which is on their approvef list. I live in NW. PA about a mile from the lake...

#9 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,746 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 12 October 2013 - 07:27 AM

I'm currently on TWC Standard (15 M down, 1 M UP) on my own Motorola SB5101U. Thinking about the 20/2 service for $10 more per month. Centurylink is my alternative and they really aren't competitve.

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#10 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 735 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 01:11 PM

I had Verizon DSL for 1 week. Hated the service, went with TWC. I have 20 up and about 2 down and pay around $40..I bought my own modem for about $75..it is a Motorola SB 6121.. which is on their approvef list. I live in NW. PA about a mile from the lake...

Is that $40 an introductory price?  Seems like they want more than that after 12 months. Nothing for me to bundle. I'm close to the lake as well.

chris

#11 OFFLINE   PK6301

PK6301

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 315 posts
  • LocationErie, PA

Posted 24 October 2013 - 01:16 PM

Is that $40 an introductory price? Seems like they want more than that after 12 months. Nothing for me to bundle. I'm close to the lake as well.

I will see after 12 months, if it goes up, I will downgrade the package..It still beats Verizon Hands Down !!!!!!

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk

#12 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 735 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 04:16 PM

Thanks to everyone who replied.

Appreciate it.

chris

#13 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,746 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 01 December 2013 - 03:49 PM

I did finally pull the speed trigger after buying an SB6121 modem myself. The DOCSIS3 is defintely worth it, even for the "lower tiers". I'm generally getting 20 Mbps down, 2Mbps up for $45/month.

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#14 OFFLINE   Manctech

Manctech

Icon

• Registered
  • 542 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 02:06 PM

Yeah Docsis 3.0 really helps with load balancing. We can easliy switch subscribers from one downstream/upstream channel to another should one become overburdened.

TWC Technician (Huntersville, Cornelius, Davidson Area)

#15 OFFLINE   lipcrkr

lipcrkr

Legend

• Registered
  • 276 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 09:57 PM

I called TWC yesterday and they admitted that they over charged me. I was paying $34.99 instead of $14.99.

My speed has doubled and i'm paying $20 less per month. I will be credited the amount next month.

#16 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 735 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 05:49 PM

I called TWC yesterday and they admitted that they over charged me. I was paying $34.99 instead of $14.99.

My speed has doubled and i'm paying $20 less per month. I will be credited the amount next month.

OK.

What package have you got for that price?  Is it introductory? What is the regular price?

What is your download speed?

I'd be interested at that pricing.

Oh forgot to ask, are you bundling anything?

chris

#17 OFFLINE   Cyber36

Cyber36

Legend

• Registered
  • 274 posts
  • LocationByron NY

Posted 08 January 2014 - 09:35 AM

Yeah, they've been running a new commerical with Bill Cowher touting a $14.99 price. Nothing about introductory. This is hilarious since they lost me as a 33 year customer over the new modem "maintience" fee. This extra charge brought my total up to $43.95. Long way from twenty bucks, huh? Anybody happen to read the fine print that's under the ad @ the end of the commerial yet? Curious as to what that really says......

#18 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 735 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 01:24 AM

Yeah, they've been running a new commerical with Bill Cowher touting a $14.99 price. Nothing about introductory. This is hilarious since they lost me as a 33 year customer over the new modem "maintience" fee. This extra charge brought my total up to $43.95. Long way from twenty bucks, huh? Anybody happen to read the fine print that's under the ad @ the end of the commerial yet? Curious as to what that really says......

Haven't seen that here in NW Pa.

I thought you can own your own modem. Or is that fee the same whether you own or not?

chris

#19 OFFLINE   Cyber36

Cyber36

Legend

• Registered
  • 274 posts
  • LocationByron NY

Posted 10 January 2014 - 08:14 AM

No, the fee would be waived but that's not the point. As a company, would I be interested in losing a 30 year customer over 80 bucks? Things have gotten horrible out there.....

Protected By... spam firewall...And...