Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Can you have 1 service for 2 homes 40 miles apart?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mrbilldj16

mrbilldj16

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 03:55 PM

I have 2 homes and we are back and forth.  Curently we have Dish at 1 and Directv at the other.  The 2 bill's are killing me.  Is it possible to have just 1 and have it work at both homes at the same time with a DVR?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,296 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 12 September 2013 - 04:01 PM

at the same time no. occasionally, maybe

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#3 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,077 posts
  • LocationWanye County PA

Posted 12 September 2013 - 04:01 PM

Yep, Buy all of your equipment, and turn service off and on as needed. There are other ways but are against TOS.

I have multiple accounts with Directv for my rental properties and vacation homes.
I currently have 4 Directv accounts.

My one home I have HR20-700 and 2- H21s that I own. So I call up and in about 5 minutes they are all active again. Its a Minimum of 30 days service they do for me.

DIRECTV Since 5/13/2012:

Living room      Master Bedroom        Bedroom 2            Bedroom 3       Office/Bedroom 4      

HR34-700  /  C31-700  /  HR24-500 / HR23-700  /  H25-100 

Slimline 5 / SWiM 16 / Premier / MLB EI  / MRV

Blue Ridge Cable Networked 30-3 Mbps 

#4 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,562 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 04:03 PM

There used to be a type of a Snowbird plan for vacation homes, as long as both homes aren't occupied at the same time.  I don't know if they still offer it, or how often you can switch from one to the other.

Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#5 OFFLINE   mrbilldj16

mrbilldj16

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 04:09 PM

We occupy both homes...1 is our Lake house and the other our work house.  I'm being told by a directv rep at Best Buy that it's possible.  he just does'nt sound convencing

#6 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,285 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 12 September 2013 - 04:28 PM

I'm being told by a directv rep at Best Buy that it's possible.  he just doesn't sound convincing

And you are wise to question what they are telling you.

#7 OFFLINE   RBA

RBA

Godfather

• Registered
  • 330 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 04:48 PM

We occupy both homes...1 is our Lake house and the other our work house.  I'm being told by a directv rep at Best Buy that it's possible.  he just does'nt sound convencing

Go ahead and follow his advice when you get caught for account stacking either DISH or Directv will terminate service at both locations.

#8 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 12 September 2013 - 05:19 PM

Depending on how often you are at the lake house, you can update the subscriber address each time you go from one house to the other. You would need take your receivers back and forth, too. If you go the account suspend route and keep two accounts, DirecTV allows you to suspend your account up to twice a year for up to 6 months.

- Merg

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#9 OFFLINE   mrbilldj16

mrbilldj16

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 05:32 PM

We are at both homes during the week.  They are saying it is like having a camper?

#10 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,581 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 06:00 PM

We are at both homes during the week.  They are saying it is like having a camper?

Does it have wheels and meets the US DOT definition of a RV or commercial vehicle? Is it registered as an RV or commercial vehicle?

The rules are fairly clear for both satellite carriers. What your describing requires two accounts.

Perhaps you should call the cable company and see if they will let you have one account serve two homes 40 miles apart?
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#11 OFFLINE   mrbilldj16

mrbilldj16

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 06:10 PM

Will the sling box hopper from dish work work. 

#12 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,581 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 06:20 PM

With "TV Anywhere" you can stream your home content anywhere (within the limits of the ISPs at each end).

(The content would still be received and recorded at the one home on the account. Quality at the other home would be limited by the ISP connections.)
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#13 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,736 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 12 September 2013 - 06:22 PM

To use a TV with it, you would need something like the Netgear NeoTV that has the Slingplayer software. But it may be your best option.

#14 OFFLINE   mrbilldj16

mrbilldj16

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 06:28 PM

We have ipad3 and ipad 4.  Perhaps using apple tv to throw it up on the TV.  Wondering about quality of picture?

#15 OFFLINE   shadough

shadough

Icon

• Registered
  • 657 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 09:13 PM

Ipad's have that nice lil HDMI adapter at the Apple store.  Feeds a  nice image from the ipad up to the TV.  Thus u could have an account at 1 location, and use the Dish Anywhere app on the ipad at the other.  If u've got the Hopper, your set, otherwise you'll need the sling adapter to connect to your DVR (assuming your DVR is compatitble w/ the sling adapter).

Edited by shadough, 10 December 2013 - 09:15 PM.

http://shad.is.dream...fl/collect.html 1000 AFL games and counting......

#16 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 10:19 PM

Just set the TV at the lake home in the back of your SUV, grill some brats, and enjoy watching the game.

Might want to have a small quantity of beer available too.

:coffee  

spam firewall