Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

IP Control and SHEF

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   rbmcgee

rbmcgee

Legend

• Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 05:59 PM

Hi all,

When sending a shef command to my DTV box, the box insists on sending a response back (ie json).

I'm sending the shef commands via the browser on my PC.

For example,

Command sent: 192.168.1.53:8080/remote/processKey?key=guide&hold=keyPress

(Note: this causes the stb to open the guide)

Response received:

{
  "hold": "keyPress",
  "key": "guide",
  "status": {
    "code": 200,
    "commandResult": 0,
    "msg": "OK.",
    "query": "/remote/processKey?key=guide&hold=keyPress&"
  }

The response describes that the command was received and executed but unfortunately, it opens up a new tab in the browser that has to be closed.  I don't want or need a response.

Is there any setting or switch that disables or prevents a response?  I would rather not keep closing tabs.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,048 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 13 September 2013 - 06:59 PM

unknown browser ...

try to set its parameters to prevent opening a response in new tab

#3 OFFLINE   rbmcgee

rbmcgee

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 08:12 PM

Hi P. Smith,

Thanks for taking the time.

The browser is firefox.  When you say prevent opening a new tab, are you referring to the original command or a setting in the firefox?

#4 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,048 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 13 September 2013 - 09:43 PM

I'm not familiar with all parameters of SHEF cmds (used only 0xFA cmds by RS-232), I'm thinking of FF settings ...

#5 OFFLINE   JBv

JBv

Godfather

• Registered
  • 939 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 14 September 2013 - 02:42 PM

I can't get this to reoccur on any of my browsers: Safari, Firefox, or Chrome. On each of them when I do 10.13.37.170:8080/remote/processKey?key=guide&hold=keyPress it opens in the current tab and does not open in a new one.

DirecTV Employee
The postings on this site are my own and do not represent DirecTV's positions, strategies, or opinions.

#6 OFFLINE   rbmcgee

rbmcgee

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 03:52 PM

Solved for my needs.

I'm an old time girder user (3.2.9).  I downloaded and installed wget (program that executes http commands.)  I then set girder to execute...

File -  C:\Program Files (x86)\GnuWin32\bin\wget.exe

Step - http://192.168.1.54:...206&minor=65535

and the box tunes to espn.  I don't know what happens to the response and I don't care.  The browser doesn't need to be open or involved in any way.  This could also be executed as a batch file.  The key is then determining when the command/batch file gets executed.  I use an ESPN button on netremote to initiate the action.

Better than IR because the tuning is instantaneous and flawless.  By nature of the technology, IR is only fast and pretty reliable.

I have now set up all DTV channels and commands in this way.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...