Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

External Disk for Genie

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   MRubenzahl

MRubenzahl

• Registered
  • 2 posts
  • LocationSanta Clara, CA

Posted 13 September 2013 - 11:24 PM

My Genie arrives on Monday (upgrade from older HR-21 DVR). Yay!

I want to add a 2-3 TB drive (external). Questions: 

Does it affect the speed of operation of the unit (the user interface)? My HR21 is slow and I don't want to hamper the new unit's speed.

Any recommendation as to disk drive? I plan to use the same e-SATA enclosure I have now.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,120 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 01:07 AM

No it won't slow it down. If you look you will find a giant thread dedicated to enclosures and external drives.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

#3 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,916 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 14 September 2013 - 08:25 AM

Just keep in mind, if the Genie ever needs replaced, any recordings on the external will not be playable.

Also, I generally recommend recording something to the internal drive, can just be a random recording, something you would never record yourself is best.

#4 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 14 September 2013 - 10:19 AM

Just keep in mind, if the Genie ever needs replaced, any recordings on the external will not be playable.

Also, I generally recommend recording something to the internal drive, can just be a random recording, something you would never record yourself is best.

As a follow-up to this...

Although the recordings are not playable, your Series List will still be there when you activate the replacement so you won't have to recreate them again.

As for recording one item on the internal drive, the reason is that you won't freak out on the day that your External Drive didn't connect right and it gives the appearance that the DVR wiped itself. By having that one recording, it is to show you that the DVR is using the internal drive and not the external drive.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#5 OFFLINE   MRubenzahl

MRubenzahl

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2 posts
  • LocationSanta Clara, CA

Posted 14 September 2013 - 11:41 PM

Good suggestions. Thanks.

Love the fact that even thought they don't support it, DirecTV allows external disk. Not true of UVerse or Comcast. 

#6 OFFLINE   pfp

pfp

Whatever

• Registered
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 06:58 PM

Recording on the internal drive would also not be playable, albeit for an entirely different reason.

I do, I offer a complete and utter retraction. The imputation was totally without basis in fact, and was in no way fair comment, and was motivated purely by malice, and I deeply regret any distress that my comments may have caused you, or your family, and I hereby undertake not to repeat any such slander at any time in the future.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...