Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

GenieGo for iOS v3.0.x - Issues/Discussion

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   Rtm

Rtm

Godfather

• Registered
  • 412 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 09:42 AM

When are a getting an update?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 ONLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,521 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 17 May 2015 - 01:28 PM

I noticed that the app was updated the other day, with a potential major change depending on how someone uses it. You can now reset your 30 day expiration within the app when it's online.

#53 OFFLINE   rbpeirce

rbpeirce

Godfather

• Registered
  • 482 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 11:11 AM

I downloaded this app to my iPhone.  I use 1Password for logins.  I opened the app and copied and pasted my login.  Then I went back to copy and paste my password and the app had closed when I returned.  I tried this several times and it won't stay open to paste both the login and password.  I assume I am doing something wrong but I don't know what it is.  No other apps I have used do this.

#54 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,745 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 11:57 AM

Try closing the app and then reopening it. And by close I mean completely from the tasks manager or whatever you want to call it.

#55 OFFLINE   rbpeirce

rbpeirce

Godfather

• Registered
  • 482 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 12:54 PM

inkahauts, if this was directed to me, I tried that and it doesn't work.  I even tried rebooting my iPhone and that didn't help either.

When you go to 1Password to get your login, enter it into the GenieGo App and return to 1Password for the password, GenieGo returns on the Get Started screen.  When you re-open it the login is no longer there.

#56 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,745 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 03:05 PM

So it's restarting the app every time you open it or is it froze and you don't have anywhere to input anything?

Which phone and iOS is it on?

#57 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,009 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 21 September 2015 - 05:04 PM

Dumb question, did you try manually entering the user name and pw without pasting?  So you don't switch screens?

Also did you delete the app and reinstall?  Sometimes that helps

#58 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 17,147 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 21 September 2015 - 06:03 PM

I downloaded this app to my iPhone.  I use 1Password for logins.  I opened the app and copied and pasted my login.  Then I went back to copy and paste my password and the app had closed when I returned.  I tried this several times and it won't stay open to paste both the login and password.  I assume I am doing something wrong but I don't know what it is.  No other apps I have used do this.

Perhaps no anther app you have do this, but there are tons out there with the one behavior. I believe this has to do with a security thing.

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#59 OFFLINE   rbpeirce

rbpeirce

Godfather

• Registered
  • 482 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 06:09 PM

So it's restarting the app every time you open it or is it froze and you don't have anywhere to input anything?

Which phone and iOS is it on?

It is restarting.  I am using an iPhone 5, Model ME332LL/A and IOS 9.0 (13A344)

#60 OFFLINE   rbpeirce

rbpeirce

Godfather

• Registered
  • 482 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 06:10 PM

Dumb question, did you try manually entering the user name and pw without pasting?  So you don't switch screens?

Also did you delete the app and reinstall?  Sometimes that helps

No to the first question.  I'm sure that would have worked but it isn't the way other apps work

Didn't try that because I just installed it last night.

#61 OFFLINE   rbpeirce

rbpeirce

Godfather

• Registered
  • 482 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 06:11 PM

Perhaps no anther app you have do this, but there are tons out there with the one behavior. I believe this has to do with a security thing.

That is bound to discourage long, complicated logins and passwords.

#62 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 17,147 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 21 September 2015 - 08:44 PM

That is bound to discourage long, complicated logins and passwords.

BEFORE going to the DIRECTV app, head to 1Password first, copy the PW (to the clipboard) then head to the DIRECTV app, TYPE your log in name which is your email address, can't be too hard, then paste (complicated) password.

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#63 OFFLINE   rccoleman

rccoleman

AllStar

• Registered
  • 95 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 02:12 PM

BEFORE going to the DIRECTV app, head to 1Password first, copy the PW (to the clipboard) then head to the DIRECTV app, TYPE your log in name which is your email address, can't be too hard, then paste (complicated) password.

The problem has been that paste functionality is disabled.  A long press doesn't bring up the "paste" option like it does everywhere else, so it seems like they've gone out of their way to force folks to type in their long, complicated passwords.  I haven't been able to find any direct way to give them feedback about it, either.  I just end up a generic DirecTV help section and give up.  It's not a good experience.

#64 OFFLINE   mdmantia

mdmantia

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 05:29 AM

I have a 4th gen iPad running iOS 9.0.2
HR44-200 on tv in living room; mini genie on tv in bedroom; new Samsung 4K SUHD UN65JS8500 with RVU set recently set up by a Directv installer on main tv in family room
Directv app version 4.2.121
Directv app works fine
Installed a GenieGo (version 2) but when I try to set it up on the Directv app, the app can't find it
Tried to manually add the serial number of the GenieGo box but it still says it can't find my device
Installer set up Samsung this way:
Cable from dish into a 2 port splitter
Output of 2 splitters into 2 Connected Home Adapters
Ethernet cable out of one adapters to the router
Ethernet out of the second adapter to an Ethernet input on the back of the Samsung
GenieGo is connected to the router using an Ethernet cable
GenieGo has a solid blue light on it

Anyone have any idea as to why the GenieGo app isn't working?

Thanks in advance

Mark          

#65 OFFLINE   nomadforum

nomadforum

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 03:51 PM

I posted this message in its own topic, but since I saw a reference to it above, I'll ask here as well...

I have an old iPad 1, and I have successfully used the iPhone GenieGo version for years. Recently, I decided to try to upgrade to the GenieGo2, but I found it to be less stable in my system than the original one.  I reverted back to the original GenieGo, but I had to reinstall the GenieGo software and because I have an older version of the iPad, I can't reinstall the latest iPhone GenieGo version.

I have checked all of my backups, but I can't find GenieGo version 3.0.037 (created 9/14/13 and not updated until 8/26/14).  With that ipa file, I can reinstall it on my iPad.  Without it, I can't.  I tried Directv, but they say they can't find it.  Does anyone have an archived ipa file with version 3.0.037?

#66 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,745 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 04:10 PM

I don't have it but in completely dumbfounded how you may have been able to switch between a genie go 1 and 2 and why you'd find the old one at all more stable. They seem the same or the newer one is better. I wonder if it wasn't because you are using it with the old version of the software on an old iPad. Im actually surprised it even works on it to be honest.

Do you backup to iTunes or the cloud? You should be able to get it from your backups I think.

#67 OFFLINE   nomadforum

nomadforum

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 04:31 PM

Thanks for the response.  I tried to restore the iPad, but it didn't bring back the old version of the app.

For some reason, hooking up the GenieGo 2 by Coax wasn't very stable (it kept resetting), and hooking it up to the router didn't provide me with any speed bump (which is the reason I wanted to upgrade).  So I switched back to the GenieGo 1. 

As for using the iPhone version, I find that far easier and more reliable than using GenieGo through the iPad app. 

I did have an old desktop backup, but it's an older version (2.2.117) that also doesn't work.

I'm just hoping someone has an archive somewhere that they can share. 

#68 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,745 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 06:47 PM

That is extremely off since the encoding is so much faster on the genie go 2. You'd have to have a system that absolutely crawls for it to be the same speed as the genie go 1. No matter which way you connect it. I think it was having issues with your router or it was actually defective.

But I want to know how you got it switched between the two devices? It usually takes days and some emails to swap a genie go device.

#69 OFFLINE   nomadforum

nomadforum

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 08:16 PM

I found the encoding to be much faster with a coax connection from the connected receiver, but from other receivers in the home, the encoding seemed to be 1:1.  When using the Ethernet connection, it seemed 1:1, but that wasn't my concern as overall the downloading speed to the mobile devices (which was more important to me) seemed about the same or perhaps a bit slower. 

As for switching between the devices, I contacted Technical Support, asked for GenieGo support, and reached someone who sent an email asking for the GenieGo to be taken off my account.  They say it takes 24 hours, but for each call, it was done within a few hours. 

#70 OFFLINE   R8ders2K

R8ders2K

Godfather

• Registered
  • 469 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 11:15 AM

Been using 1Password and DIRECTV apps for quite some time with no problems.

Edited by R8ders2K, 19 October 2015 - 11:15 AM.

Click this link for specifics on my setup. SWM 16 installed.

Setup Apple AirPort Extreme #1 for DIRECTV Network Services.Setup Apple AirPort Extreme #2 for static IP addresses on your home network.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...