Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

You are too old if you remember...

• Please log in to reply
367 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,928 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 14 September 2013 - 06:57 AM

All throughout our lives, we have seen things come and go. Lets have a thread where we can all recall something from many years ago that no longer exists. Of course many of us are different ages here that makes the fun as to the younger DBSTalkers will recall ancient stuff to them that are going to be recent to us who are over 40, so it will sound most interesting this way.
  • When Arco made a big deal about doing away with their gas card
  • When Jack In The Box blew up the clown
  • When cars came with 8 tracks
  • It was considered cool if your car had FM in addition to AM, really cool if it came with a cassette tape, and uber cool if it came with CD. BTW: Whats MP3?  :hurah:
  • A mobile phone was something that was hard wired into your car.... and ONLY send/received calls. BTW: Whats texting? :rolling:
  • My first cell phone plan came with 50 minutes PEAK and 300 minutes night/weekend.
  • Shell stations handing out little yellow "tips" books that was also reprinted in Reader's Digest
  • Gas stations had service bays instead of convenience stores
  • Gas stations had dial pumps instead of electronic pumps, and you could first pump and then pay instead of the other way around
  • Even/odd days for gas rationing
  • Major movies on television were considered "events", and if you missed it, you had to wait a year until it was broadcast again.
  • Watching Star Trek: The Next Generation and Star Trek: Deep Space Nine on the satellite backhauls before it was broadcast on your local station
  • You knew Saturday morning was over when American Bandstand came on
  • Getting a FREE road map at the gas station
  • The phrase "Who shot JR?" was a topic of intense debate
(Yes, I borrowed this thread from a road geek board)
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,281 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 14 September 2013 - 07:18 AM

A few more:

• You shot a home movie. Yes, MOVIE, 8mm or Super 8
  • The mechanical gas pumps could only go to $.99  If gas was $1.24 the pump would be set to .62 with a sign saying to double pump price
  • Color TV was something special. Shows would be introduced as "in COLOR"
  • a $.99 meal was actually filling

My Setup

#3 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 07:28 AM

Sorry can't help you. I forgot everything.
  • FHSPSU67 likes this

#4 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,499 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 14 September 2013 - 08:37 AM

A few more:

• The mechanical gas pumps could only go to $.99 If gas was $1.24 the pump would be set to .62 with a sign saying to double pump price

When store employees and customers could actually do basic math.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app
  • Herdfan, JACKIEGAGA, FHSPSU67 and 1 other like this

#5 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,295 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 14 September 2013 - 08:46 AM

I think many 50 year olds could relate to most of those! 

And I'd so much prefer the wording:

You, too, are old if you remember.....

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#6 OFFLINE   houskamp

houskamp

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,636 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 09:39 AM

lead additives for cars..

AKA: SMOKE
MRV was all that's left on my wishlist (wishlist done) :D

#7 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,380 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 14 September 2013 - 10:02 AM

Sorry can't help you. I forgot everything.

High calcium levels?   :sure:

Rich

#8 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,489 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 14 September 2013 - 10:04 AM

OK, here are a few -- :You're really old if you remember:--

When premium gas was "Ethyl"

When you picked up your phone to make a call, a voice at the other end said, "Number, please."

When popcorn at the movies sold for a nickel.

When RC Cola was in a "big red and yellow bottle" for a nickel.

When butter was the 75 cent spread.

When the FM band moved to its present 88 - 108 MHz.

When they sold UHF adapters for TV.

When they had "Two Reelers", cartoons and Movietone News at theaters.

When you were going to a multiscreen theater, it was a Drive In.

When McDonald's hamburgers were 15 cents and they only had walkup service.

When "Three Musketeers" bars were actually 3 separate bars - pink, white and chocolate.

Nestle's Puff Chocolate bars.

The Good Humor Man.

When Heinz made  57 Varieties

Arthur Godfrey

When late night TV meant "Broadway Open House", alternating between Jerry Lester and Morey Amsterdam.

• Bronxiniowa likes this

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Samsung UN60F7100 60" LED 3D TV; Samsung  BD-H5900 3D Blu-Ray DVD player; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVo Roamio Plus DVR, Toshiba HD-A3 HD DVD player.
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#9 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,380 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 14 September 2013 - 10:05 AM

I think many 50 year olds could relate to most of those! 

And I'd so much prefer the wording:

You, too, are old if you remember.....

Yeah, how can you be "too old"?  

Rich

#10 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,950 posts
  • LocationCollege Park MD (just outside Wash, DC)

Posted 14 September 2013 - 10:16 AM

All throughout our lives, we have seen things come and go. Lets have a thread where we can all recall something from many years ago that no longer exists. Of course many of us are different ages here that makes the fun as to the younger DBSTalkers will recall ancient stuff to them that are going to be recent to us who are over 40, so it will sound most interesting this way

When Arco made a big deal about doing away with their gas card

-Only vaguely. My father worked in an office supply store that made lots of small sales, and they were forever decrying the fact that they already were making next to nothing on small sales and trying to figure out what to do with the fact that credit card charge fees were "unfairly" eating into their profits.

When Jack In The Box blew up the clown

-Missed that one. We didn't have that chain in my region

When cars came with 8 tracks

-Actually, I don't remember any coming with 8 tracks. I remember them coming without 8 tracks and then we installed them ourselves.

It was considered cool if your car had FM in addition to AM, really cool if it came with a cassette tape, and uber cool if it came with CD. BTW: Whats MP3?  :hurah:

-My first "new" vehicle, a 1975 Chevy 10 van, had just six options and I would challenge my friends to identify them but none ever could. They were 1) passenger seat, 2) high back seat upgrade, 3) window in sliding side door, 4) windows in back doors, 5) ventilation hinges on back door windows, and, 6) four button AM radio.

By the way, did any of you ever take apart a push button radio and see how it worked? It was damn clever.

A mobile phone was something that was hard wired into your car.... and ONLY send/received calls. BTW: Whats texting? :rolling:

-I only saw them on TV. Colombo had one. In the late 1980s, the drug dealers in Northampton had them.

My first cell phone plan came with 50 minutes PEAK and 300 minutes night/weekend. -

-Funny thing is, I hardly use any more than that now.

Shell stations handing out little yellow "tips" books that was also reprinted in Reader's Digest

-I lived behind a Shell Station. In fact, they actually owned our driveway but didn't realize it because the chain link fence between the properties had been misplaced. Shell used to have the contest with the "half" dollar bill pieces, and because that was something new, a lot of dummies figured that the halfs (SP) we weren't getting must have been sent to another part of the country and many people actually took out classified ads in the newspapers trying to find someone with the left half of a $500 to match up with their right half.

Gas stations had service bays instead of convenience stores

-And service bays really were "bays", not lifts.

Gas stations had dial pumps instead of electronic pumps, and you could first pump and then pay instead of the other way around

-We could pump our own gas back then?

Even/odd days for gas rationing

-My business partner's father owned a gas station. hat was the only good thing about having him for a business partner.. I could get gas any day I wanted to.

Major movies on television were considered "events", and if you missed it, you had to wait a year until it was broadcast again.

-The Wizard of Oz. Peter Pan. But we had already waited seven years for it to get to television in the first place. The first movie I remember getting on TV in less than seven years was Robinson Crusoe on Mars in the mid 1960s.

Watching Star Trek: The Next Generation and Star Trek: Deep Space Nine on the satellite backhauls before it was broadcast on your local station

-I preferred watching Jeopardy in the mid afternoon and then dazzling everyone in the evening

You knew Saturday morning was over when American Bandstand came on

-And Howdy Doodie (SP says I spelled it wrong. Tough). I think Sunday morning started with Industry on Parade. And after that, we would see the time-compressed version of yesterday's Notre Dame football game (... after an unsuccessful series of downs, Michigan state was forced to give up the football..)

Getting a FREE road map at the gas station

-Now we just make nuisances of ourselves at the 7-Elevens...

The phrase "Who shot JR?" was a topic of intense debate

- I was stuck sharing a hotel room in Brooklyn the night the episode resolving that was shown. I had re-enrolled in college and was representing my state university at a regional debate tournament and we were staying in this cheap room that had only one wall outlet and it was a single wall outlet, not a duplex one, and I had to type the speech and my partner and I nearly came to blows over what got plugged in, the typewriter or the TV, but I'm bigger and tougher than he is so he went out to find an adapter for sale somewhere but he didn't get back to the room in time.

Edited by AntAltMike, 14 September 2013 - 07:10 PM.

#11 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 10:25 AM

The "smart" formatting functions here are giving me fits.

#12 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,380 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 14 September 2013 - 10:32 AM

We had a TV with pushbuttons.  Worked just like a radio.  Could have been an Admiral.  I even remember a Dumont TV that we had.

Rich

#13 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 10:36 AM

We had a TV with pushbuttons.  Worked just like a radio.  Could have been an Admiral.  I even remember a Dumont TV that we had.

Rich

My aunt had a car with a push button automatic transmission. We might have had a Crosley TV. I know we had a Crosley car.

#14 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,704 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 11:34 AM

I remember cars with AM only radios.

I remember our first color TV - a WHOPPING 25", in a wooden floor console.

ALL house phones were hardwired.  No cordless.  No modular plugs.  You got two extensions for free, more cost extra.

My first exposure to video games was a MaggotBox TV with Pong, Tennis and Hockey built-in and two hardwired controllers.

Two way radios were hard wired only.  The first portables were small suitcase types.

Steel belted radial tires were new-fangled contraptions.

You could actually work on your car yourself.

Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#15 ONLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,906 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 14 September 2013 - 11:43 AM

Some of you guys aren't old enough!! 

Hired an engineer that had never used a slide rule. . .

I put a new picture tube (replacement) in a Dumont Color TV. . . and used it for several years at college and first apartment!

My Dad's 1962 Cadillac (that he paid cash for - and he wasn't rich by any means) had a 'Seek' bar on the AM radio. . . motorized the tuning (string as the tuning between the knob and variable capacitor) and actually stopped on strong stations.

Push button transmissions were in late 50's early 60's Chrysler / Dodge products.  My uncle had one.

The starter on our '57 Buick (Pink / Grey and again paid cash!) was under the accelerator. . . and had POWER STEERING.

They delivered milk and I saved the caps for free Hopalong Cassidy timex watches. . . which I disassembled 3 that didn't work and made 1 that worked. (I was probably 6 or 7)

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#16 ONLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,906 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 11:52 AM

The first Color TV I saw was at my uncles - we considered him rich - he owned a local grocery store and worked his ass off!.  It was a 21 inch ROUND tube in a console at least 6' wide.  Cost around $1000 in 1958 or '59.  Disney on NBC on Sunday night was the only color program.

MyTV is now on a local sub-channel and I record 'The Fugitive' that Mom and I watched. . .the episodes now emphasize "In Color" from 63 or 64.

#17 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 12:06 PM

I remember cars with AM only radios.

As mentioned above, my 1975 Chevy 10 has an AM only, but that might still have been common in work vehicles.

I remember our first color TV - a WHOPPING 25", in a wooden floor console.

And adjusting the colors from show to show.

ALL house phones were hardwired.  No cordless.  No modular plugs.  You got two extensions for free, more cost extra.

As recently as the 1980s, a cheapskate friend of mine still had a "party line". I had to wonder where they found another cheapskate for him to share that service with. In Northampton, Massachusetts, you could still dial local calls with just the last FIVE digits well into the 1980s. You know what is confusing? Asking someone who has lived in a five digit dialing area what their phone number is. They will say two digits, pause, and then five more digits, whereas most people cite three digits, pause, and then the remaining four. One friend's phone number had four successive threes" in it, and it would confuse the heck out of people when he'd say, "two, five, (pause) three, three, three, three, one." Everyone would always ask him to repeat the number.

My first exposure to video games was a MaggotBox TV with Pong, Tennis and Hockey built-in and two hardwired controllers.

Odyssey? I was actually pre-interviewed in about 1975 for my prospective use as an expert witness by a lawyer from the firm that was representing Sanders Associates in the patent/copyright infringement suits that were being brought against Atari and Bally/Midway for using the "slip counter" circuit in their early, pre-microprocessor video games.

Two way radios were hard wired only.  The first portables were small suitcase types.

I had some army surplus "field phones" that might be what you are talking about.

Steel belted radial tires were new-fangled contraptions.

When the early steel belted tired were rotated, the "rotation pattern" was to rotate just the left two tires with each other, and the two right tires and spare with each other. Supposedly, if you ran a steel-belted radial tire for a long time on one side, it would form some kind of stress pattern that would make it unsafe for use on the other side. I often wondered how a spare could ever serve as a left side spare if it had been committed to right side use. Left hand on the bible, right hand to God, I was in a Fiat with a friend of mine when he had to put his spare on the left side, and a couple days later, that tire burst.

You could actually work on your car yourself.

I lose money - and a part of my sanity - every time I work on my car now.

Edited by AntAltMike, 14 September 2013 - 03:45 PM.

#18 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,496 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 14 September 2013 - 01:57 PM

Top loading VCR's
Nordemende_spectra_V100.jpg

Cable TV remote controls that were like a mini keyboard and connected to the cable box via a long cord.
JerroldRemoteControl.jpg

The first mobile phone I ever saw was my girlfriends father in the mid-80's. He was a doctor and he'd bring his new mobile phone to football games, that had its own briefcase.
att-briefcase-phone.jpg

My favorite video game
Mattel-FootballI.jpg

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#19 ONLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,906 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 03:07 PM

No pictures, but I'll have to say I saw the first ta-tas on TV at a friends Betamax - had to be 73 or 74. . . probably life changing!  Wired remote control and all!

#20 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,194 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 14 September 2013 - 03:10 PM

I remember watching Howdy Doody with Buffalo Bob and Clarabell.

DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

Protected By... spam firewall...And...