Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Ratings block doesn't work!

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Bogey62

Bogey62

Godfather

• Registered
  • 461 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 07:00 AM

More than once on my Hopper I have had a BLOCKED channel or movie rating programming pop up on the TV unexpectedly!

This is really wonderfuil; when you have kids in the house.

Here's the scenario...

Set two timers in addition to the PT Anytime timer. So, you have three timers all firing at once with one or more of the timers set to a channel/show that is blocked by either hiding content or hiding rating.

Wait until all timers are working and then turn on the TV and Hopper.

More often than not, mine will not pop up the timer selection screen or the enter password screen, but will instead choose one of the two non-PT Anytime tuners and display whatever is being recorded right there on my huge TV for all to see!

Now, I have to sit there and really think about what timers to set depending on the time of day that they are going to record in fear that this Hopper will decide to ignore my block request and display the content on the screen!

Wow, this is a great bug, Dish.

Bill (Bogey62)
Hopper w/Sling + Joey
Sirius Sportster 4 Replay

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,909 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 14 September 2013 - 11:53 AM

I could be wrong, but I'm confused here...

Are you setting timers to record blocked content?  IF you are doing that, I don't think it is unreasonable for that content to be unlocked for display on the screen while it is in the process of being recorded.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#3 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,260 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 02:37 PM

Are you setting timers to record blocked content? IF you are doing that, I don't think it is unreasonable for that content to be unlocked for display on the screen while it is in the process of being recorded.

Interesting, but I agree with the op. if its blocked content, it shouldn't matter if its being recorded currently or not you should have to enter the password. Don't you have to enter the password if you select to watch it from your playlist a day after it was recorded? How would this be any different?

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

#4 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,909 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 14 September 2013 - 08:39 PM

I think the difference is...  the timer authorizes the channel to be recorded... during that window of being in-process-of-recording it isn't a locked channel.

When you're not recording, and you try to tune to a locked channel it will prompt you to enter a password... but if you swap to another tuner and then swap back I don't think it asks you again to unlock it because you already did.

On the one hand it seems like a loophole... but on the other, I'm not sure how it would work... because the password/unlocking happens before it allows you to tune to the blocked channel.  When a recording is in progress it has to have already authorized the tuner to access that channel OR the recording would just be a black screen.

I'm not sure it is a bug so much as an unintended consequence.

The Newsstand can't sell you a girly mag if you are obviously underage... but if the guy in front of you buys one and you look over his shoulder, the store isn't obligated to prevent you from seeing that transaction... and if the guy flips through the pages, you get a free peek as well.

There probably is a way they could prevent this BUT it would require a reworking of how they authorize blocked channels... and I'm not sure how complicated it would be to do that.

#5 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,260 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 12:35 PM

I think the difference is... the timer authorizes the channel to be recorded... during that window of being in-process-of-recording it isn't a locked channel.

When you're not recording, and you try to tune to a locked channel it will prompt you to enter a password... but if you swap to another tuner and then swap back I don't think it asks you again to unlock it because you already did.

On the one hand it seems like a loophole... but on the other, I'm not sure how it would work... because the password/unlocking happens before it allows you to tune to the blocked channel. When a recording is in progress it has to have already authorized the tuner to access that channel OR the recording would just be a black screen.

I'm not sure it is a bug so much as an unintended consequence.

The Newsstand can't sell you a girly mag if you are obviously underage... but if the guy in front of you buys one and you look over his shoulder, the store isn't obligated to prevent you from seeing that transaction... and if the guy flips through the pages, you get a free peek as well.

There probably is a way they could prevent this BUT it would require a reworking of how they authorize blocked channels... and I'm not sure how complicated it would be to do that.

how does the system Handel previous recordings sitting in your playlist? Will it lock those?

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

#6 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,909 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 15 September 2013 - 02:25 PM

A previous recording isn't in progress... so I would assume any recording is locked... you have to enter the password each time you try to play it.  That makes sense...  but I don't know what would happen if say on a Hopper you initiate playback and unlock the program, then go to a Joey and try to play that same recording.  I would hope it is still locked and again asked for a password but I don't know.

#7 OFFLINE   Bogey62

Bogey62

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 461 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 02:38 PM

Are you setting timers to record blocked content?  IF you are doing that, I don't think it is unreasonable for that content to be unlocked for display on the screen while it is in the process of being recorded.

Yes, I am setting a timer to record either a blocked channel or a movie that falls within a rating block I have set up.

I DO think it is unreasonable for the system to just decide to unblock it and show it during recording. It should ask for a password or default to showing the other timer's programming assuming that it doesn't fall within the blocks.

Edited by Bogey62, 15 September 2013 - 02:43 PM.

Bill (Bogey62)
Hopper w/Sling + Joey

#8 OFFLINE   Bogey62

Bogey62

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 461 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 02:41 PM

Interesting, but I agree with the op. if its blocked content, it shouldn't matter if its being recorded currently or not you should have to enter the password. Don't you have to enter the password if you select to watch it from your playlist a day after it was recorded? How would this be any different?

Exactly, If I decide to watch the movie/show 10 secods after it finishes recording, I have to enter the password.

I don't want something like True Blood/Boardwalk Empire just deciding that it's going to show the recording in progress if I have HBO blocked or a rating set that would otherwise block those shows.

Bill (Bogey62)
Hopper w/Sling + Joey

#9 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,260 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 04:07 PM

A previous recording isn't in progress... so I would assume any recording is locked... you have to enter the password each time you try to play it. That makes sense... but I don't know what would happen if say on a Hopper you initiate playback and unlock the program, then go to a Joey and try to play that same recording. I would hope it is still locked and again asked for a password but I don't know.

I would expect the Joey to have to be I bloke as well. From the early days I v chips every tv was supposed to have to be unlocked separately I thought set top boxes where supposed to be the same. I know dtv is all separate. Heck even directv2pc had separate controls.

Still if it will block it when it's not recording and it'll block something that has been recorded why wouldn't it block it while it is recording. Seems to me it defeats the whole purpose because a kid could set the unit to record shows before they where on then just turn on the tv when the recording starts and get them.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

#10 OFFLINE   some guy

some guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 01:02 PM

I just tried to duplicate this and couldn't. I set my raiting locks to high and locked HBO and Cinemax. I then went to the guide and selected record on the next airing HBO and Cinemax events. Each time I had to enter my password before the timer would be created. I then set a 3rd timer on a news program that wasn't locked. I then hit power and put the box in standy. When i powered the box back on it took me directly to the TV Activity page and I had to select which event I wanted to view or join etc and if I chose the HBO or Cinemax I had to enter my password to join the recording in progress.

#11 OFFLINE   Bogey62

Bogey62

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 461 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:10 AM

I just tried to duplicate this and couldn't. I set my raiting locks to high and locked HBO and Cinemax. I then went to the guide and selected record on the next airing HBO and Cinemax events. Each time I had to enter my password before the timer would be created. I then set a 3rd timer on a news program that wasn't locked. I then hit power and put the box in standy. When i powered the box back on it took me directly to the TV Activity page and I had to select which event I wanted to view or join etc and if I chose the HBO or Cinemax I had to enter my password to join the recording in progress.

Try doing this instead...

Set three timers, or use one as PT Anytime, and the other two manually set.

Make one of the timers set to record a blocked content (i.e. R rating, adult programming, whatever). Have 2 of the three timers already up and recording with the third timer (blocked content) not yet recording.

Tune to some other channel so that when the blocked timer fires it has to ask you if it's OK to switch to the channel and record. Say Yes to the popup requester and the Hopper should switch to the blocked channel/content and show the picture instead of defaulting back to the timer info screen where you have to select what to watch or at least just asking for a password before displaying the content of said timer.

I hope this makes sense. I can reproduce it every time here.

Bill (Bogey62)
Hopper w/Sling + Joey

#12 OFFLINE   some guy

some guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:04 AM

Timers set...I'll find out in about an hour.

#13 OFFLINE   some guy

some guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 09:02 AM

I just tested it and I was watching CNN live and the 3rd timer fired. It asked me if it was OK and then it prompted me to enter my password for that blocked channel. I just reread what you posted and I didn't choose OK...I just waited and didn't touch anything and then after a bit it changed from asking me to select OK to allow and prompted the password screen. I'll try again and select yes and see what happens.

#14 OFFLINE   Bogey62

Bogey62

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 461 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 04:32 PM

I just tested it and I was watching CNN live and the 3rd timer fired. It asked me if it was OK and then it prompted me to enter my password for that blocked channel. I just reread what you posted and I didn't choose OK...I just waited and didn't touch anything and then after a bit it changed from asking me to select OK to allow and prompted the password screen. I'll try again and select yes and see what happens.

I appreciate you testing it out. I always seem to be there and select Yes or OK on the popup.

Let me know what happens and if it only works correctly when you ignore it, I'll do that too.

Bill (Bogey62)
Hopper w/Sling + Joey

#15 OFFLINE   some guy

some guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 10:44 AM

I saw the pop up this time and I clicked OK to allow the recording to begin. It then displayed the PIN number pop up and I had to enter my PIN. Everything worked as it should for me.

#16 OFFLINE   Bogey62

Bogey62

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 461 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 03:37 PM

I saw the pop up this time and I clicked OK to allow the recording to begin. It then displayed the PIN number pop up and I had to enter my PIN. Everything worked as it should for me.

On mine, it doesn't seem to matter if I click OK or just ignore the popup. It will switch to the blocked content and display it while recording. The really stupid thing is, if I look in the appropriate folder for the active recording, it will show that it is locked and require a password to open it!

Bill (Bogey62)
Hopper w/Sling + Joey

Protected By... spam firewall...And...