Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

The older online gamer

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,823 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 14 September 2013 - 07:05 AM

From Wired:

21st-Century Shooters Are No Country for Old Men

I’m 37, and I’ve been gaming since the Atari 2600. Last year, at the peak of Modern Warfare 2 mania, I found myself in a hip Hollywood bar celebrating the birthday of an old college buddy. We’re all in our mid-thirties. As usual in a crowd of aging, buzzed geeks, the conversation veered toward videogames — specifically, the prowess of the young punks swarming the Call of Duty servers.

“They’re too good,” said the birthday boy. “And now they’re killing you with knives before you even have a chance to shoot them. It’s bull****.”

FULL ARTICLE HERE

Of course, the Oatmeal has a comic about What it's like to play online games as a grownup
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,437 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:59 AM

Yeah, I don't play online anymore. Had quite a bit of fun playing Doom via modem back in the day, but it's just not fun anymore.

#3 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,601 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 17 September 2013 - 09:10 AM

I'm 51 and routinely play Call of Duty WaW and Black Ops. (PS3 owner)   I have to deal with ADSL lag in addition to being old and slow.  Were due for an upgrade to VDSL2 in our area and lag won't be an issue after  that, but I'll still be old and slow :rotfl: I completed GTA IV, WaW  and Black Op on Veteran.   I'm debating on GTA V.  It's hard to cough up $60 for a game.   

Edited by machavez00, 17 September 2013 - 09:11 AM.

#4 OFFLINE   neomaine

neomaine

Legend

• Registered
  • 188 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 09:29 AM

...   I'm debating on GTA V.  It's hard to cough up $60 for a game.   

Ask your parents to give it to you for Xmas. !rolling

spam firewall