Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Did anyone try Neverwet on their D* dish yet?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   SBI

SBI

AllStar

• Registered
  • 95 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 08:51 AM

And if so, is there any negative effect on reception?

This product looks very promising to me in the way of preventing snow buildup during heavy snow. When this happens I need to take my long witch broom and clean the dish through the top of my dining room double-hung window while standing on a chair. Not a pleasant thing to do, and it usually happens at night.

Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Joe166

Joe166

AllStar

• Registered
  • 123 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 10:56 AM

And if so, is there any negative effect on reception?

This product looks very promising to me in the way of preventing snow buildup during heavy snow. When this happens I need to take my long witch broom and clean the dish through the top of my dining room double-hung window while standing on a chair. Not a pleasant thing to do, and it usually happens at night.

Thanks.

How do you think the ability to repel water would affect snow buildup?   If it is liquid, it would run off on its own, wouldn't it?    I guess it is worth a try, but as a total non scientist, and in a non scientific way, it doesn't make much sense to me.   

#3 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 11,713 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 14 September 2013 - 11:13 AM

Probably a waste of money, unless it helps snow slide off.   A wet dish isn't a problem.  It's the rain/snow between your dish and the satellites that causes problems.  

HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#4 OFFLINE   SBI

SBI

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 95 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 12:15 PM

I know that a wet dish is not the issue. I don't have a problem when it just rains, only when there are severe thunderstorms in the dish's path.

My problem with snow is that when we have heavy (and wet) snow, it builds up on the dish and the LNB (for some reason I never had this problem with the smaller non-HD dish) and unless I clean the dish we have no reception. I assume that applying this to the dish and LNB will prevent snow to stick to them.

#5 OFFLINE   Joe166

Joe166

AllStar

• Registered
  • 123 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 01:51 PM

I know that a wet dish is not the issue. I don't have a problem when it just rains, only when there are severe thunderstorms in the dish's path.

My problem with snow is that when we have heavy (and wet) snow, it builds up on the dish and the LNB (for some reason I never had this problem with the smaller non-HD dish) and unless I clean the dish we have no reception. I assume that applying this to the dish and LNB will prevent snow to stick to them.

That's my point, how do you know it has any effect on snow at all?    Totally different characteristics from water.   Lighter, fluffier (a scientific term), etc.    Try it, let us know, although if it snows heavily in Coral Gables, FL, I suspect I will have much bigger problems than losing my picture.

#6 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,070 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 01:57 PM

I would think Pam would work better than Neverwet for keeping snow off a dish.  After all wax doesn't keep snow off your car does it?  Wax does pretty much what Neverwet does.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#7 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,852 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 14 September 2013 - 02:04 PM

They make heaters for the dishes and the people that have installed one swear by them.

Instead of a broom, try a kids Super Soaker with soapy water in it to get the snow off after it gets on it.

• profmrw likes this

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#8 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,360 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 14 September 2013 - 07:52 PM

I would think Pam would work better than Neverwet for keeping snow off a dish.  After all wax doesn't keep snow off your car does it?  Wax does pretty much what Neverwet does.

Pam would attract birds and the like.  as far as wax  keeping snow off the car, here is proof  

But yet, my dish has not a drop of snow!!!!!

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0294.jpg

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#9 OFFLINE   242424

AllStar

• Registered
  • 254 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 08:01 AM

I watched a youtube on the stuff, looks like it's worth a try. 

#10 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,360 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 15 September 2013 - 02:23 PM

I watched a youtube on the stuff, looks like it's worth a try. 

Sure if you want to waste your money

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#11 OFFLINE   SBI

SBI

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 95 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 05:45 PM

Sure if you want to waste your money

Care to elaborate why it would be a waste of money?

#12 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,975 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 15 September 2013 - 05:51 PM

The amount that you'd need to cover a dish costs less than $10. If he wants to try it, why not?

I don't know that trying it would tell you if it works, unless you have a 'control' dish that is unsprayed. Maybe if you have a next door neighbor with a dish at the same height that tends to accumulate snow in an identical manner if one of you tries it you can see if it makes a difference. I could see it maybe working for freezing rain and maybe that wet snow that falls when it is right near freezing. But if it really bothers you a dish heater would seem to be a better solution.

Does anyone have any photos of what a dish looks like when it causes signal loss? I've seen my dish with snow in it before or coated with an inch of ice, neither caused any reception issues. Are those of you with problems getting so much snow it is burying the dish from underneath? If that's the case, obviously even if Neverwet works to keep the snow off it won't stop your dish from being buried, any more than neverwet would stop your dish from being underwater if you put it in your pool :)

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#13 OFFLINE   SBI

SBI

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 95 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 06:27 PM

The amount that you'd need to cover a dish costs less than $10. If he wants to try it, why not?

I don't know that trying it would tell you if it works, unless you have a 'control' dish that is unsprayed.

But if it really bothers you a dish heater would seem to be a better solution.

Are those of you with problems getting so much snow it is burying the dish from underneath? If that's the case, obviously even if Neverwet works to keep the snow off it won't stop your dish from being buried, any more than neverwet would stop your dish from being underwater if you put it in your pool :)

I am not worried about the cost or whether or not it'll solve the problem, I don't mind at all the $18 that it costs to try it. I am concerned that the coat, not knowing the material and what it does, will decrease or interrupt signal.

I would probably opt for a dish heater but I do not have AC plug anywhere around it.

Also, my dish is high, more than 10 ft. from the ground. It never gets buried in snow, however during heavy wet snow, snow accumulates on the dish and the LNB and that cuts my signal. So I am hoping that Neverwet can 'prevent' heavy snow from sticking to the dish/LNB.

Edited by SBI, 15 September 2013 - 06:28 PM.

#14 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,816 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 15 September 2013 - 08:53 PM

But yet, my dish has not a drop of snow!!!!!

But your D* van sure does. :)

#15 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,975 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 15 September 2013 - 11:32 PM

I always assumed dish heaters used a coaxial cable for power similar to a power injector for a SWM LNB? Or do they use too much current for RG6 to carry?

If they use coaxial cable you wouldn't need an AC outlet anywhere, just a spare/additional cable...

#16 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,990 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 05:32 AM

When I lived in the Sierras, I'd need to clean the wet snow off the dish & LNB. It seemed I was on snow removal and would have to wait to watch the recording later.

Sometimes there wasn't that much on the reflector, but since it's the sum of everything between the SAT & LNB, the dish was all I could change.

I've seen a photo of a dish with 6" of snow buildup, and the claim of no signal loss. All I can think was that was very dry snow, as I can blank out signal on a sunny day with a wet towel.

Dish heater seem to be the best option if snow is a regular problem.

If the TS want's to try Neverwet on the reflector, I don't see a problem. It "might" help, or simply do nothing [like the silicon spray I tried].

A.K.A VOS

#17 OFFLINE   PK6301

PK6301

Legend

• Registered
  • 315 posts
  • LocationErie, PA

Posted 16 September 2013 - 06:37 AM

Haven't tried Neverwet yet...two different scenarios..When I has Dish Neywork and the dish was on top of the trailer it would collect snow and ice weekly.. (Fell off the ladder once trying to clear :o ) Moved to a new house 3 miles away and no snow problems :)
I heard using Pam causes problems as it breaks down due to weather by attracting dirt and gunk..
Sent from my GT-P3113 using DBSTalk mobile app

#18 OFFLINE   Cyber36

Cyber36

Legend

• Registered
  • 274 posts
  • LocationByron NY

Posted 16 September 2013 - 06:49 AM

What about regular WD-40 or silicone?

#19 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,975 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 16 September 2013 - 11:14 AM

I've seen a photo of a dish with 6" of snow buildup, and the claim of no signal loss. All I can think was that was very dry snow, as I can blank out signal on a sunny day with a wet towel.

That doesn't prove the small amount of moisture a towel can hold causes signal loss. Only that a towel causes signal loss, and adding water to it pushes it over the edge to where it is problem (I'm assuming you tried it with a dry towel as a control?)

If the tiny amount of water a towel can hold caused signal loss, you'd think even simple drizzle would be enough to cause rain fade, because the signal would be traveling through much more water (even just between the clouds and the ground) than a wet towel could ever hold!

#20 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,990 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 06:32 PM

That doesn't prove the small amount of moisture a towel can hold causes signal loss. Only that a towel causes signal loss, and adding water to it pushes it over the edge to where it is problem (I'm assuming you tried it with a dry towel as a control?)

If the tiny amount of water a towel can hold caused signal loss, you'd think even simple drizzle would be enough to cause rain fade, because the signal would be traveling through much more water (even just between the clouds and the ground) than a wet towel could ever hold!

You might want to use a meter and check the results.

A.K.A VOS

Protected By... spam firewall...And...