Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR44M?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,128 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 14 September 2013 - 09:07 AM

I was browsing around SolidSignal and came across a box model number HR44M, "Genie Marine" that is $550. I have not been able to find mention of it anywhere other than on SolidSignal, and the product description doesn't really say what's different about it.

What is different about this box that makes it so much more expensive?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,280 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 14 September 2013 - 09:34 AM

Kevlar?

#3 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,128 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 14 September 2013 - 10:35 AM

Well, I assume since it says "marine" it's got a minimum of weather resistant design, but for double the price I'm wondering if it also has an SSD in it instead of a regular HDD

#4 OFFLINE   celticpride

celticpride

Icon

• Registered
  • 967 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 10:58 AM

It sounds like a dvr you use on a boat .

#5 ONLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,280 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 14 September 2013 - 12:30 PM

Why don't you call their toll-free number and ask?

#6 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,778 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 12:43 PM

Well, I assume since it says "marine" it's got a minimum of weather resistant design, but for double the price I'm wondering if it also has an SSD in it instead of a regular HDD

It wouldn't have SSD at that price.  A 1TB SSD drive is far more than $550 itself.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#7 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,128 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 14 September 2013 - 03:04 PM

It wouldn't have SSD at that price.  A 1TB SSD drive is far more than $550 itself.

But are the "lease fee" prices the full price of the box? I thought buying a box outright was much more expensive than the $199 lease fee you pay when you go to a 3rd party reseller like SS. Surely some waterproofing isn't worth double the price of the box

#8 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,778 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 03:51 PM

But are the "lease fee" prices the full price of the box? I thought buying a box outright was much more expensive than the $199 lease fee you pay when you go to a 3rd party reseller like SS. Surely some waterproofing isn't worth double the price of the box

I'm pretty sure the lease fee would be at least $1000 for a box where the hard drive was around $1200 alone, if not more.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#9 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,970 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 04:04 PM

I'd suspect that price might be to own?

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

#10 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,128 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 14 September 2013 - 04:14 PM

Now that I think about it, more than price the write cycles would probably preclude an SSD

I'd suspect that price might be to own?

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

It specifically says it's a leased box. It's weird that I can not find any mention of this box anywhere on Google except at Solid Signal

#11 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,970 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 04:19 PM

Mayberry comes with a special after market box to protect it. And that the gene itself is the same. But you'd think they'd market that separate then.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

#12 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,778 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 05:06 PM

Now that I think about it, more than price the write cycles would probably preclude an SSD

That and the fact that none are rated for 24/7 yet.  We're having a hard time getting OCZ to honor warranties for us at work because we put them in a server chassis even.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#13 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,128 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 14 September 2013 - 07:02 PM

That and the fact that none are rated for 24/7 yet.  We're having a hard time getting OCZ to honor warranties for us at work because we put them in a server chassis even.

You can get enterprise class SSDs. OCZ would not come to mind as someone I'd buy an SSD for something mission critical, though.

#14 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,224 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 14 September 2013 - 08:22 PM

Why would you use an SSD? If a boat is moving enough to possibly damage a hard drive, it would be way beyond the ability to any tracking dish to maintain a signal.

Besides, a DVR is the worst case scenario for an SSD. They are limited for write lifetime, which is not a problem for your average computer since most of the time it sits there doing nothing or mostly reading from disk, but DVRs write all the time. Genies are even worse, they may write five streams at once, and exceed the write lifetime of a typical consumer SSD within a year. You'd have to use an SSD rated for enterprise/server use, which are far more expensive because they use a different type of flash that is more expensive.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#15 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,149 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 14 September 2013 - 08:34 PM

Perhaps the price difference has to do with the fact that it comes with a 12 month SS warranty

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#16 ONLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,271 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 01:29 PM

As someone else said OCZ is not what I'd put in my home computer let alone a server.

The OCZ problem has nothing to do with being rated for 24/7 and all to do with being OCZ.

There are big differences between Enterprise class drives and home drives.

For a Server I would use SAS drives. They are not cheap but they last.

I did some HP servers for someone through work last year, They provided all the parts. Despite their being frugal, They Knew to go with SAS drives.

I mainly run Intel and one stray Samsung here at home. Even then I'd go Samsung 840 Pro not their bargain line the 840EVO which has TLC memory and not the longer lived memory of the Intels and 840Pro. When I bought the Intel SSDs, at the time I bought Intel for reliable. 5 Year Warranty BTW.

TBoneit

Also if I were going SSD in a server it would be a three SSD raid setup and only to hold the OS related items and not the data.

Edited by TBoneit, 14 October 2013 - 01:31 PM.

Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

spam firewall