Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Mini Genie searching for signal

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   BrettRyan

BrettRyan

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 09:47 AM

Mini Genie "searching for signal" every time I pause, rewind, and/or fast forward and then play a program.  Any others having this issue?  Is this standard because of the client relationship with the Genie system?

Causes delays in viewing a program and is obviously annoying...

Thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,498 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 14 September 2013 - 11:13 AM

What is the exact on-screen message?   It's not normal.  It could be a message from your TV indicating that it's lost the video signal, or it could be a message from the Genie indicating that the satellite signal is lost.  Please clarify with more details.

HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#3 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,120 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 14 September 2013 - 11:56 AM

Have you checked your Genie to see if you are getting that message on the actual receiver?  If you are not getting it on the Genie itself, something is very wrong with your client.  It could be a bad coax or splitter.

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#4 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,112 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 14 September 2013 - 05:08 PM

Have you checked your Genie to see if you are getting that message on the actual receiver?  If you are not getting it on the Genie itself, something is very wrong with your client.  It could be a bad coax or splitter.

You shouldn't get a "searching for signal" only on the client. If the client loses IP connectivity to the server you get a full screen searching for server message.

The only way a "searching for signal" message would be generated is if the server itself has lost signal or if, like litzdog said, it's actually a message his TV is displaying when it loses HDMI connectivity during a resolution change

#5 OFFLINE   BrettRyan

BrettRyan

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 05:54 PM

I think it is an error message from my TV - It's like the Genie Mini stops communicating with the TV and has a slight delay – like a second or two with a black screen and it says "Searching for Signals" then comes back on.  It is only on the Genie Mini – this same TV (Samsung LN-T1953H) was on a regular dvr (HR20) connected the same way (HDMI) before changing to the Genie system and didn’t have any issues .

FWIW, the main Genie system is on my Panasonic VIERA TC-P65VT30 and doesn’t have this issue ant the other TV’s have the HR24’s and do not have this issue – all connected via HDMI.

#6 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,112 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 14 September 2013 - 06:59 PM

Does it happen on any program at all, or do you notice it happening only on SD shows or only on shows from a certain network? 

Maybe try going into the settings of the Genie Mini and setting the resolution options to only one resolution, so that no matter what you watch it doesn't change the resolution it sends to your TV.

#7 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,166 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 14 September 2013 - 07:02 PM

Does it happen on any program at all, or do you notice it happening only on SD shows or only on shows from a certain network? 

Maybe try going into the settings of the Genie Mini and setting the resolution options to only one resolution, so that no matter what you watch it doesn't change the resolution it sends to your TV.

+1

Set the resolution to the highest your TV will do of the 720p or 1080i and take out the check marks from all others. This will eliminate the HDMI hand shake and probably fix your problem.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#8 OFFLINE   BrettRyan

BrettRyan

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 08:07 AM

thanks for the input - still having the issue...might have to live with it.  It happens on all and any programs, but only when pausing, fast fwd and rewinding and then play.  I tried the changing the res to 720p only and 1080i only, but that didn't help. 

#9 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,892 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 08:17 AM

I'd recommend trying a component video connection, which would require Directv's 10-pin component cable.

"He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."

#10 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,112 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 15 September 2013 - 12:00 PM

thanks for the input - still having the issue...might have to live with it.  It happens on all and any programs, but only when pausing, fast fwd and rewinding and then play.  I tried the changing the res to 720p only and 1080i only, but that didn't help. 

Are you certain that its a TV-generated message and not a DirecTV reciever-generated message? It sounds like it probably is your TV but if you could take a picture or describe it in more detail that would help.

Also, as ndole said, if you have the component cables for the Genie Mini you might try using that input on your TV.

spam firewall