Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Why am I getting the Rays game on MLB Network?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   FLWingNut

FLWingNut

Godfather

• Registered
  • 420 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 06:03 PM

MLB Network drives me nuts! I'm in the Rays territory so I assumed I'd be blacked out of their game on MLB Network, and would get the Tigers game that I wanted. So I set the recording, wanting to start watching it about an hour in do I could zip thru the commercials. Imagine my surprise when I got a blank screen and the blackout message. I'm getting the Rays, using the Twins feed, no less. So I missed the first hour before I grabbed my iPad to watch it thru At Bat. Someone please explain why I'm getting the Twins feed of the Rays game.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,843 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 07:01 PM

Sure, it's not being televised by Sun Sports that's why you are getting it. And they use the Home Team. All makes sense.

Edited by tampa8, 14 September 2013 - 07:05 PM.

#3 OFFLINE   FLWingNut

FLWingNut

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 420 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 07:10 PM

I thought the blackout rule was that if your team isnt televising then you're out of luck.

#4 OFFLINE   lwilli201

lwilli201

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 08:23 PM

I thought the blackout rule was that if your team isnt televising then you're out of luck.

Looks like this rule does not apply to the MLB network.   I am in the KC Royals area and the game was not telecast locally but I got the Tiger feed on MLB network.

Edited by lwilli201, 14 September 2013 - 08:25 PM.

1-HR21-100, 2-HR21-700, 1 w/eSATA, all networked, unsupported MRV. AT9 Dish(110 & 119 disabled) and SWM8.

#5 OFFLINE   renbutler

renbutler

Godfather

• Registered
  • 506 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 06:40 PM

I'm in Reds territory, and there have been many times when the blackout has been lifted on MLB Network for the several games that the Reds don't air on FSN Ohio.

It's the right thing to do.

#6 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• Registered
  • 1,857 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 16 September 2013 - 06:50 PM

MLBN gets a pass just like ESPN when it comes to locally broadcast games, or am I wrong?

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#7 OFFLINE   Rob37

Rob37

Legend

• Registered
  • 166 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 10:03 PM

Maybe DirecTv is getting a jump start on next year. Most Blackouts are going away starting next year with the new baseball contract. ESPN broadcasts and I think MLB Network Broadcasts will be able to be seen even in home markets.

#8 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 10:16 PM

About time. Atlanta and Tampa have nothing to do with Jacksonville.

#9 OFFLINE   renbutler

renbutler

Godfather

• Registered
  • 506 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 12:18 PM

Maybe DirecTv is getting a jump start on next year.

No. As I said, MLB Network simply doesn't black out games in home markets if those games aren't otherwise aired in those markets.

That's the way it's been for several years now.

I know that most of you don't have to worry about that, as you live in markets where all 162 games are aired in one way or another. But I am very familiar with this situation, as FSN Ohio airs only 145 Reds games a year. So I have a lot of experience with t his.

Edited by renbutler, 18 September 2013 - 12:18 PM.

#10 OFFLINE   renbutler

renbutler

Godfather

• Registered
  • 506 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 12:20 PM

Here's an example:

http://mlb.mlb.com/n...ugust_Games.jsp

Look at the several underlined teams throughout that schedule (which indicates lifted blacouts). Then cross-reference those games with the broadcast schedule of games for those teams on RSNs or other local channels.

You'll see that MLB Network clearly and intentionally lifts the blackouts in those markets for those otherwise unaired games.

Edited by renbutler, 18 September 2013 - 12:21 PM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...