Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New HR34 and 1080p

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Bruce M.

Bruce M.

AllStar

• Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 01:30 AM

I have a new HR34, which replaced an old HR21.  Up until the old one died, I was able to select  480p, 720p, 1080i and 1080p as resolutions.  My TV is capable of producing 1080p (it's a 4 year old Mits DLP).

After replacement, I can no longer select 1080p with the HR34.  Instead, I get a message that my TV is not capable of resolving a DirecTV 1080p signal.  I never got this message on my HR21.  

I also have a 1080p Sony in another room, hooked up to an HR24.  That receiver allows me to check all four resolutions, just like the HR 21 did.  Of course, it doesn't matter what is playing at the time--the boxes can still be checked.   

With a CSR on the phone, I have dutifully plugged in and out HDMI cables, etc.  No change. 

Any ideas what is behind this?  I could have sworn the installer of the HR34 checked all the right boxes, but I cannot remember for sure. 

Edited by Bruce M., 15 September 2013 - 01:30 AM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,030 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 06:43 AM

Since 1080p is only available on certain PPV channels, do I assume these are the only channels on which this is failing?  If you uncheck 1080p, does everything work?

I assume the TV is failing the HDCP copy protection protocol validation test, for some reason. The HR34 seems to be much more rigorous about HDCP compliance. Try rebooting the HR34 and see if that changes things.

If not, then just watch in 1080i. Because the DirecTV 1080p is only 1080p/24, the 1080i signal contains all the same video information as 1080p and you almost certainly will not see any difference.

#3 ONLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,438 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 15 September 2013 - 07:24 AM

And it's 1080p/24 compatible?

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

#4 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,497 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 11:43 AM

...If not, then just watch in 1080i. Because the DirecTV 1080p is only 1080p/24, the 1080i signal contains all the same video information as 1080p and you almost certainly will not see any difference.

Well, almost the same information. Since there are 24 frames/fields in 1080p24 and 30 frames/60 fields in 1080i30, there can be more information in 30 frames. Of course if the source was originally 24 fps it is the same information presented differently.

But you could not be more correct about "certainly will not see any difference". People have never been able to accurately distinguish the difference between 1080i30. 1080p24, 720p30, and 720p60. They all appear virtually about the same.

And don't forget that "1080p" when referring to a display device means something different than "1080p" when referring to a delivery format. All FP HDTVs are either natively 1080p or 720p (or 768px1366) by definition. They all display progressively, including when fed interlaced content.

That makes it all the more frustrating when a native 1080p set won't resolve 1080p, but it is the difference between what the two identical terms mean in separate context that makes this incompatibility possible. While all TVs can deinterlace 1080i to get to 1080p (or 720p or 768p) 1080p which is already not in need of deinterlacing sometimes will not resolve on a 1080p set, usually due to the frame rate difference between delivered 1080p24 and what the TV can handle, which is usually 30 or 60 fps (29,97 and 59.94). As a general rule of thumb, the newer the set the more compatible it will be.

Edited by TomCat, 15 September 2013 - 11:50 AM.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#5 OFFLINE   Bruce M.

Bruce M.

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 12:28 PM

All great stuff, but the only thing different in my particular chain is the HR34, and it's only with its installation that I started getting this message when I tried to check the 1080p box.  Unless this is a bad HR34, it must be a handshake issue between this set and the HR34, which was not present with the previous receiver...

#6 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,579 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 15 September 2013 - 12:55 PM

De-selecting 1080p would seem to solve it, then, no? 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#7 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 15 September 2013 - 07:36 PM

I once had a 26" LCD hooked up to my HR34 and it also gave an incorrect reading that it didn't support 480i resolution signal, which was wrong of course, and didn't let me select it in the setup.

I always attributed it to a bug in the HR34 causing it to simply misread the TV display's EDID information.

You can check this by doing a keyword search on "IAMANEDGECUTTER"

That will open up a "Misc. Options" icon under "Settings & Help." When you select that in will list the "TV-supported resolutions" the HR34 detects for the TV set its connected to, and can look to see if "1080p/24" is listed or not.  

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#8 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,030 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 08:11 PM

Well, almost the same information. Since there are 24 frames/fields in 1080p24 and 30 frames/60 fields in 1080i30, there can be more information in 30 frames. Of course if the source was originally 24 fps it is the same information presented differently.

Since it's a DirecTV 1080p/24 signal, it is 24fps source, so even though the 1080i signal CAN carry more information there is no additional information to carry....

#9 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,601 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 17 September 2013 - 09:19 AM

I had an HR20-700 connect to my 47" LG LED.  I upgraded to the Genie as well.  My problem is that it decided the LG didn't do 480i when the HR20 had it as available resolution.

#10 OFFLINE   Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,081 posts
  • LocationA Galaxy Far, Far Away.....

Posted 17 September 2013 - 09:31 AM

try rebooting the HR34 without the HDMI cable being plugged in. After 15 mins or so (giving time for the receiver to boot all the way up), Turn the TV on and plug back in the HDMI cable. Rerun the resolution selection menu and post your results. 

#11 OFFLINE   Bruce M.

Bruce M.

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 11:05 AM

Status report:

Using HoTat 2's IAMANEDGECUTTER trick, I confirmed my TV can resolve 1080p/24.  Then, I followed Yoda-DBSguy's protocol for rebooting.

Result:  Same error message.  Your TV does not accept DirecTV's 1080p signal.

Getting a visit from a tech next Monday.  Getting THAT arranged took an hour on the phone and three levels of CSR's, but it's done.  Will report back, but I'm not super optimistic. 

It is helpful to have established through DirecTV's own software, though, that my TV IS in fact compatible with 1080p/24. At least that will eliminate the excuse I heard over and over again on the phone.

#12 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,836 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 17 September 2013 - 11:17 AM

Do you order PPV movies in 1080p? If not, I'm just curious why you're continuing to try and resolve this? I can somewhat understand because I sometimes like resolving things on principle.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#13 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,030 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 11:58 AM

refer back to my post on HDCP. I suspect this is not a 1080p/24 issue, it's an HDCP issue.

#14 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,579 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:21 PM

Do you order PPV movies in 1080p? If not, I'm just curious why you're continuing to try and resolve this? I can somewhat understand because I sometimes like resolving things on principle.

What I was asking a few posts back but without the reference to those few PPVs that have 1080p.

#15 OFFLINE   Bruce M.

Bruce M.

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 11:29 PM

I guess it is mostly principle.  I have watched PPV movies in 1080p on DirecTV on occasion, but my vehicle of choice for that is usually Vudu.  Still, it bugs me that DirecTV pumps up its 1080p movies, volunteers to "upgrade" my old receiver, installs one that tells me I can't watch them in 1080p on a TV that in fact is and has been compatible for several years on my prior receiver, then tells me that if I am getting an incompatibility message, there is "nothing we can do" because it's my TV's fault.  Hearing that over and over again as if people were reading from a 3 X 5 card and not actually thinking sets my teeth on edge. There may or may not be anything it can do, but it seems to me it should acknowledge that its 10+ year old receiver can do what its fancy new Genie cannot, and give up on reflexively blaming my TV.  

Just tell me:  "Unfortunately, it looks like there is a compatibility problem caused by the receiver, not your TV, so that's on us, not you.  If you'd like another receiver that doesn't generate that message, it looks like you'll have to use a HR24 on that TV, which we will be glad to install for you if you wish."  That way, it's up to me.

Instead, the first two CSRs (Levels 1 and 2) told me there was "nothing we can do,", it was my TV's "fault", and that if I wanted another receiver that would allow 1080p like my current HR 24, or my old HR 21 which the Genie replaced, I would have to pay DirecTV for it because I otherwise had promised to use this Genie for two years as part of my upgrade.  All in the name of a "free" "upgrade".  

That is unsatisfactory to me on a variety of levels.

#16 OFFLINE   Joe C

Joe C

Godfather

• Registered
  • 295 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 05:44 AM

I would use this as an opportunity to try and get a HR44.    Using PPV or not is irrelevant, the fact is the present DVR does not fully work with your existing TV.  Tell the CSR the 34 is having a tuner issue or something similar and you want a truck roll.  Have the CSR make a note for the tech to call you before he shows up and ask him if he has 44's on board.  $$ should help to get the 44 of the truck and into your home.  If he does not then only you can decide if you want to wait for a 44 or take something else. 

I'm sure many here will scream fraud but you are paying good money every month for a service and it should work to your satisfaction.

#17 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,030 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:20 AM

I would use this as an opportunity to try and get a HR44.    Using PPV or not is irrelevant, the fact is the present DVR does not fully work with your existing TV.  Tell the CSR the 34 is having a tuner issue or something similar and you want a truck roll.  Have the CSR make a note for the tech to call you before he shows up and ask him if he has 44's on board.  $$ should help to get the 44 of the truck and into your home.  If he does not then only you can decide if you want to wait for a 44 or take something else. 

I'm sure many here will scream fraud but you are paying good money every month for a service and it should work to your satisfaction.

The HR44 enforces HDCP also, so it might not help, although the HDCP logic might be slightly different.

#18 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 18 September 2013 - 07:00 AM

What is the exact Make/Model of your tv?  Did I miss it above or have you not included that information?  All I see is a 4 year old Mits DLP...

#19 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,579 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:08 AM

The HR44 enforces HDCP also, so it might not help, although the HDCP logic might be slightly different.

Not only will the 44 not change that but it is fraud to do what Joe C writes. 

#20 OFFLINE   Bruce M.

Bruce M.

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:26 PM

My TV is a Mits  WD 82837.  Not sure why I would have to commit "fraud" to take Joe C's advice.  I don't have to allege a "faulty tuner".  I just have to tell the truth.  The unit doesn't provide what it is supposed to provide, and my prior receiver provided, via my TV, and I was given no notice that this would happen when I accepted the "free upgrade".  Pretty simple.

That said, my guess is also that a 44 would not help this situation, given what I understand to be the differences and similarities between the 34 and the 44.... 

In the end, probably nothing will come of this, but if something interesting does, I will post it.  Thanks to all for the advice and comments.

spam firewall