Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Upgrade ?'s for HD-DVR to Genie

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   MarkCz

MarkCz

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 06:56 PM

I currently have a dual tuner HR23-700 HD-DVR with "Choice Xtra Classic" package.  My bill shows $10/mo for HD, $10/mo for DVR, and a refunded $6/mo for primary TV.  I do not  have the 'whole home' service activated.  I have one oval shaped dish on my roof with two antenna gizmos pointing to the same place, each with a separate coax cable connected to my current HD-DVR (one for each tuner I assume).

I would like to upgrade my receiver to a Genie, but have a few questions.

1 - monthly bill - From my searches it looks like the only req'd increase would be the whole home service fee of $3/mo.  Correct?

2 - dish/antenna/coax - I see that the Genie only has one "Satellite In" coax connection, compared to the two on my current receiver.  Does that mean that I can use one of the two HD-DVR satellite feeds that I already have available for all 5 tuners in the Genie?  If not, what is required?

3 - one time charges - I am off contract with DirecTV (well past my original 2 years).  I know that they will 'negotiate' to a point, but what is their normal fee to swap out an HD-DVR for a Genie?   I'm guessing I could do a new 2-year commitment to get that fee waived, yes?

TIA for any helpful replies.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,991 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 15 September 2013 - 07:10 PM

No matter what deal you get with DirecTV, even paying $350, it will be a two year contract. You might get it free, particularly if you have the protection plan.

You do not have SWM, which is required. The normal install, they will remove your 5-LNB and replace it with a SWM 3-LNB. At that point, there will only be one coax cable going into the Genie, but you can't do that now.

The $3 Whole Home will be required, but that is the only monthly fee difference between one DVR and one Genie.

#3 OFFLINE   linuspbmo

linuspbmo

AllStar

• Registered
  • 125 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 07:11 PM

You shouldn't have any problem getting the whole setup for free, I still have a year left on my contract and they did the whole thing including install for free. Remember to say cancel and talk to retention. Don't worry about your setup they will replace anything you need for the Genie.

#4 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,129 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 15 September 2013 - 07:24 PM

Expect a $3 additional fee and that should be it. Being outside of a contract and a longer term customer, you should easily get the upgrade for free.

#5 OFFLINE   MarkCz

MarkCz

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 07:48 PM

Thanks for the info, now I know what to push for when I call.

If I can get it for free and schedule a Saturday install I'll be a happy dude :righton:

I'll update this thread with my results.

#6 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,937 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 15 September 2013 - 11:00 PM

If he replaces his single DVR with the Genie, so that he has only the one unit (the Genie) and no other receivers or clients, will he have to pay the whole-home fee?

#7 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,129 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 15 September 2013 - 11:37 PM

If he replaces his single DVR with the Genie, so that he has only the one unit (the Genie) and no other receivers or clients, will he have to pay the whole-home fee?

Yes. There's another thread discussing this, whether it is "outrageous" or not, but the whole home fee applies to all genies, regardless of whether or not they have any clients connected.

#8 OFFLINE   FenixTX

FenixTX

Godfather

• Registered
  • 468 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:07 AM

I currently have a HR-20 and HR-21.  I want to upgrade the HR-20 to a genie.  I want to keep the HR-21.  I currently have a SWM setup.  The receiver I want to replace with a gene is connected directly to my router while the receiver in the bedroom I'm keeping has a wireless connection.

Can I just call and have them send me a genie and I send back the HR-20?  If so, will the wireless connection work for whole home service?  If not, what should I ask for to get the proper setup. I would prefer to do it myself instead of having to take off work and have an installer come.

Thanks for the help.

Go Big Red!!!

#9 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 17 September 2013 - 09:30 AM

Unless your 20 has a problem, keep the 20, its a better model than the 21, 21, or, 23....

#10 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,127 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 17 September 2013 - 10:22 AM

I agree, the HR20 was the best model offered until the HR24  Using wireless for Whole Home is marginal at best, I would get a DECA module for the HR20/21 and the Genie will act as the Ethernet / DECA bridge.  In other words, plug the cable from the router into the Genie, add the DECA module to the other DVR and disconnect the wireless.  A couple notes regarding the self install, you will need to buy the DECA yourself as they will not ship you one, and you may have a problem getting the Genie shipped as they don't show you set up fro Whole Home. 

My Setup

#11 OFFLINE   FenixTX

FenixTX

Godfather

• Registered
  • 468 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 11:21 AM

I agree, the HR20 was the best model offered until the HR24 Using wireless for Whole Home is marginal at best, I would get a DECA module for the HR20/21 and the Genie will act as the Ethernet / DECA bridge. In other words, plug the cable from the router into the Genie, add the DECA module to the other DVR and disconnect the wireless. A couple notes regarding the self install, you will need to buy the DECA yourself as they will not ship you one, and you may have a problem getting the Genie shipped as they don't show you set up fro Whole Home.

Where do I order a DECA module?
Go Big Red!!!

#12 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,127 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 17 September 2013 - 11:39 AM

My preferred source is Solid Signal  http://www.solidsign...eca2--(dca2sr0)  However you can find them usually a lot cheaper on eBay but to me anything from eBay is a gamble

My Setup

#13 OFFLINE   FenixTX

FenixTX

Godfather

• Registered
  • 468 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 12:23 PM

My preferred source is Solid Signal http://www.solidsign...eca2--(dca2sr0) However you can find them usually a lot cheaper on eBay but to me anything from eBay is a gamble

Thanks for the link. So we are for sure DirecTV won't send me one if I'm able to get them to ship me the genie receiver for self install?
Go Big Red!!!

#14 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,243 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 17 September 2013 - 12:53 PM

Thanks for the link. So we are for sure DirecTV won't send me one if I'm able to get them to ship me the genie receiver for self install?

Not "for sure", but I don't believe anyone who has asked for one has received one.

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#15 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,147 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 02:26 PM

Why are you keeping either of those active? Do you need more recording space or series links?

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

#16 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,322 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 17 September 2013 - 03:18 PM

Can I just call and have them send me a genie and I send back the HR-20?

Depends on who you talk too. I could not get them to send me a Genie.  It was going to be a direct swap, but they insisted (no additional equipment required; I already had SWM16 with only 11 tuners in use. Final config was 13 tuners. I guess they thought I might exceed 8 tuners on one of the legs).  They also said it was going to be $49 install, but when I said 'cancel the upgrade', they gave me a $50 credit. 

But others here have reported they got a Genie shipped to them. 

#17 OFFLINE   FenixTX

FenixTX

Godfather

• Registered
  • 468 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 02:07 PM

Update.  I called this afternoon and was able to get a genie DVR shipped to me, along with the cinema connection kit.  Also received $20 off a month for a year.  

Go Big Red!!!

#18 OFFLINE   silkysings

silkysings

• Registered
  • 2 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 25 September 2013 - 12:07 PM

How to know if I have SWM...I have HR23-700, HR22-100, H23-600, and D12-100 with whole home DVR service working on the 3 H boxes and internet connectivity (pretty cool that I can play music from my computer on my tv).  A few questions..I was considering adding a Genie because even with the 2 HD DVR's we end up with a conflict on one TV or the other, always when my husband is in the middle of watching a sporting event or has paused a show to go do something. It's also a big pain to try putting some shows on one and some on the other, hence the conflicts that crop up. Having a DVR that has 5 tuners onboard would be great.  Won't dump the existing DVR's as they are loaded with shows to catch up on (most for my 9 year old but I digress). My questions are, the one TV that is still SD will eventually be replaced with an HDTV.  Do the HD boxes have a capability to run on a SD tv at all only showing SD programming?  If not, I can't upgrade until that TV is switched as I don't want to upgrade twice.  If it can, I would dump the SD box, move the HD box to that tv, one HD DVR to former HD spot, and replace that with Genie.  Even if I have SWM now it would probably be SWM 8 and need to be replaced with SWM 16 right since that would make 10 tuners?  Don't mind install anyway since then the installer could maybe bring me a new remote to replace the one that works very poorly (numbers stick) and has been relegated to the playroom SD tv that is not currently watched very often.  Actually I'll bet the Genie gets a new remote anyway so I could give back the dead one.  Ultimately I would like to get HDTV in the playroom so my 9 year old can watch her DVR shows up there instead of taking up our den tv.  I am 3rd in line in my house behind hubby and child :>)

#19 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,243 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 25 September 2013 - 12:17 PM

Press the - (Dash) button on your remote.  You can also go to menu => settings=> Info=> select and scroll through to see your equipment setup.

I have an HR23 hooked up to an ancient, JVC tube style SD tv.  It works fine.

You get a new remote with the Genie.  Some people hate it!  Some love it.

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#20 OFFLINE   silkysings

silkysings

• Registered
  • 2 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 25 September 2013 - 12:48 PM

Thanks!

Come to think of it I believe I do remember seeing a message about SWM on my screen before when my husband pressed something on the remote in error.  Good news about being able to connect HD box to SD tv so it makes it possible to switch to Genie now before we replace the old tv.  Of course, I have to get them to agree to give it to me without the giant 300$ price tag. I have never been able to negotiate a deal, I've upgraded boxes twice and had to pay full price each time for the privilege of leasing equipment and agreeing to 2 more years.  Maybe I should get hubby to work them, he is in sales.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...