Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

NHL Channel

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dsexton

dsexton

Mentor

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 10:27 PM

The NHL Channel, 215, is going to start airing exhibition games this week.  I have been a Center Ice subscriber for years.  When I go to 215 now I get the message that I am not subscribed to the channel, even though I have the Sports Pack as well as the earlier mentioned Center Ice.  Does anyone know when Center Ice kicks in this year?  It is going to be a bummer if the exhibition games are unavailable because CI hasn't started yet for the season.  Maybe this is the year to cancel Center Ice and go with Game Center?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,261 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 10:31 PM

You should be able to tune to that channel unless its blacked out and the game is on your local rsn or local channel.

Wait, which regular viewing package do you have?

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

#3 OFFLINE   loveshockey

loveshockey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 377 posts
  • LocationLancaster, NY

Posted 15 September 2013 - 10:31 PM

NHL channel is not in Sports Pack..

You need either Center Ice subscription or either Ultimate or Premier package

to view it

#4 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,393 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 15 September 2013 - 10:32 PM

http://www.dbstalk.c...-ice/?p=3183156

Answered earlier today.

#5 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,393 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 15 September 2013 - 10:33 PM

NHL channel is not in Sports Pack..

You need either Center Ice subscription 

CI doesn't start until the season starts. Pre-Season doesn't count. 

#6 OFFLINE   PrinceLH

PrinceLH

Godfather

• Registered
  • 473 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 08:38 AM

They blacked me out of the Toronto/Philly game, on the NHL Network Alt channel last night.  The Sabres where playing so no Leafs/Flyers for me.  Ridiculous!

Edited by PrinceLH, 16 September 2013 - 08:38 AM.

#7 OFFLINE   dsexton

dsexton

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 01:03 PM

I spoke with DTV last night after I went on their web site to find the schedule of preseason games to be broadcast on NHL Network.  They at first told me NHL Network is not part of the Center Ice package, that you have to have either the Ultimate package or the one just below it; I forgot which one that is.  Their web site lists the games and specifies either Center Ice or a package higher than Choice.  I have Center Ice and Total Choice, the legacy package which boths costs more and includes more channels than Choice.  They could not answer whether or not NHL Network is supposed to be available at all times or only when those particular games are on.  I will have to wait until 6 pm Central time tonight to see if the first game is on, before I try to watch the Sharks play at 9 pm.  If it is not unlocked for me at 6, I will call and argue with them some more.  They also could not tell me when the Center Ice season starts, after which time I should definitely have NHL Network available at all times. 

Since no one but hockey fans are likely to watch NHL Network, combined with the fact that many hockey fans subscribe to CI, why on earth would they tie NHL Network to Ultimate or their other mentioned package rather than provide it to CI subscribers all the time?  Not to mention Sports Pack, which gives you access to "20+ specialy sports channels."  Ultimate gives you 35+ sports specialty channels, but come on, NHL Network is not on Sports Pack and is not available year round to CI subscribers?

#8 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,393 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 16 September 2013 - 01:44 PM

See the link in post #4 above.

If you subscribe to CI (and not one of the higher tier packages), you only get NHLN during the season. Which this year starts on Tuesday Oct. 1st.

#9 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,158 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 16 September 2013 - 01:54 PM

They blacked me out of the Toronto/Philly game, on the NHL Network Alt channel last night.  The Sabres where playing so no Leafs/Flyers for me.  Ridiculous!

The alternate is only for areas blacked out of the main feed, it's not a bonus game.

#10 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,261 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 02:48 PM

I spoke with DTV last night after I went on their web site to find the schedule of preseason games to be broadcast on NHL Network. They at first told me NHL Network is not part of the Center Ice package, that you have to have either the Ultimate package or the one just below it; I forgot which one that is. Their web site lists the games and specifies either Center Ice or a package higher than Choice. I have Center Ice and Total Choice, the legacy package which boths costs more and includes more channels than Choice. They could not answer whether or not NHL Network is supposed to be available at all times or only when those particular games are on. I will have to wait until 6 pm Central time tonight to see if the first game is on, before I try to watch the Sharks play at 9 pm. If it is not unlocked for me at 6, I will call and argue with them some more. They also could not tell me when the Center Ice season starts, after which time I should definitely have NHL Network available at all times.

Since no one but hockey fans are likely to watch NHL Network, combined with the fact that many hockey fans subscribe to CI, why on earth would they tie NHL Network to Ultimate or their other mentioned package rather than provide it to CI subscribers all the time? Not to mention Sports Pack, which gives you access to "20+ specialy sports channels." Ultimate gives you 35+ sports specialty channels, but come on, NHL Network is not on Sports Pack and is not available year round to CI subscribers?

as I recall NHL network is the same package as NBC sports which is choice xtra I believe.

#11 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,261 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 02:50 PM

They blacked me out of the Toronto/Philly game, on the NHL Network Alt channel last night. The Sabres where playing so no Leafs/Flyers for me. Ridiculous!

Yeah if you are getting the main game you won't get the alt game. This isn't the playoffs and an overflow channel right now its a you aren't in the market so we need to give you something channel and we decide what the main feed is for everyone else not you. Annoying I know.

#12 OFFLINE   zmancartfan

zmancartfan

AllStar

• Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 07:38 PM

I realize the Toronto / Philly game wouldn't have been on any of the RSNs carried by DirecTV, but doesn't the NHL Network just pick up the local feeds for the games? If so, I would think alt channel games like that would mostly be available to everyone with the Sports Pack on the actual RSN channel. Is that not correct?

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

#13 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,158 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 16 September 2013 - 07:44 PM

I realize the Toronto / Philly game wouldn't have been on any of the RSNs carried by DirecTV, but doesn't the NHL Network just pick up the local feeds for the games? If so, I would think alt channel games like that would mostly be available to everyone with the Sports Pack on the actual RSN channel. Is that not correct?

The alternate game is only for people blacked out of the game on the main channel. On cable they would see the alternate game on the same channel they would usually go to for the NHL Network, however since DirecTV's a national provider the game appears on an alternate channel.

#14 OFFLINE   compnurd

compnurd

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,146 posts
  • LocationEvans City PA

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:08 AM

as I recall NHL network is the same package as NBC sports which is choice xtra I believe.

it is in ultimate or premiere

SWM-16
HR44
2-C-41
HR24
2-H25

#15 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,393 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:47 AM

I also have it in my grandfathered Choice Extra Classic.

#16 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 09:12 AM

I also have it in my grandfathered Choice Extra Classic.

+1

HR34-700, HR22-100

#17 OFFLINE   PrinceLH

PrinceLH

Godfather

• Registered
  • 473 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 09:19 AM

It's preseason, damn, you'd think that they'd want to get fans interested, after the labor dispute.  Instead of writing "Thank You Fans" on the ice, near the blue line, they should write "F*ck You Fans" instead.

• ohpuckhead likes this

#18 OFFLINE   ttown

ttown

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 10:24 AM

I have Choice Extra Clasic and get NHL Network. Game was on last night.

#19 OFFLINE   zmancartfan

zmancartfan

AllStar

• Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 10:29 AM

The alternate game is only for people blacked out of the game on the main channel. On cable they would see the alternate game on the same channel they would usually go to for the NHL Network, however since DirecTV's a national provider the game appears on an alternate channel.

Right, but would the game on the alternate channel be available on the respective RSN if you're not in the blacked out market and have the Sports Pack?

In other words, if Game A is on the main channel and Game B is on the alternate, would I see Game B if I have the Sports Pack and am not in either home territory?

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

#20 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,393 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 17 September 2013 - 10:52 AM

I think pro-sports are pretty much blacked out on RSNs unless it is your RSN or you pay for the appropriate out of market package (and it is during the season).

Were all the preseason baseball games available?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...