Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Oddest thing....playlist doesn't sort correctly

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   996911

Go Pack!

• Registered
  • 809 posts
  • LocationTobacco Road, NC

Posted 16 September 2013 - 07:30 AM

The playlist on my H24 is sorting the playlist oddly.  Most of the time (i.e., near 100%) the playlist sorts oldest to newest even though I have it set as newest to oldest.  If I manually go into the playlist sort options it even shows newest to oldest is selected (but clearly it's not sorting that way).  The only way to get it to sort properly is to then deselect newest to oldest and select oldest to newest, go to the playlist, and then go back into the sort options and reset back to newest to oldest.

And to top it off, here's an odd glitch....if there is something recording, then I get the proper order of newest to oldest.  

Any idea why it does this?  It's very frustrating.

TIA!

Edited by 996911, 16 September 2013 - 07:30 AM.

Cheers,
Ray Johnson

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,230 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 16 September 2013 - 08:29 AM

If it was mine, I would do a reset of the receiver and see if that cures it.

Menu, Settings, Reset, Restart Receiver

Edit: Missed completely that we were not talking about an HR-24. I assumed because we were talking about play lists not sorting.

My bad.

Edited by jimmie57, 16 September 2013 - 02:30 PM.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#3 OFFLINE   otaliema

otaliema

AllStar

• Registered
  • 171 posts
  • LocationMid-west USA

Posted 16 September 2013 - 08:39 AM

If that doesn't work I'd try a network reset

Menu-Settings-Network-Restore network defaults.

The unit should reconnect automatically to your network from there.

I am a former DIRECTV employee however all statements opinions, views, expressions, etc, are entirely my own even if logic says otherwise.

They DO NOT reflect on DIRECTV and or any partner, affiliated company's, polices, processes, opinions, or things that are not listed here.

Set up. HR24-200, HR24-200, HR22-200, H23-600. Whole Home, BBCCK, SL3 SWiM.

I have found that working with computers is like working with a toddler, sometimes there is no reason for the melt down, just keep on moving forward.

#4 OFFLINE   996911

Go Pack!

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 809 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 09:08 AM

If it was mine, I would do a reset of the receiver and see if that cures it.

Menu, Settings, Reset, Restart Receiver

Did that.  No luck.

If that doesn't work I'd try a network reset

Menu-Settings-Network-Restore network defaults.

The unit should reconnect automatically to your network from there.

I'll try that this evening when I get home and see what gives and report back.

Thanks all for the input so far!

Cheers,
Ray Johnson

#5 OFFLINE   otaliema

otaliema

AllStar

• Registered
  • 171 posts
  • LocationMid-west USA

Posted 16 September 2013 - 12:28 PM

If the network reset doesn't help try a reset everything from the reset menu Jimmie pointed you too. As it's a H24 you wont lose any recordings just your fav lists, guide settings, and parental controls. 

I've never actually seen this problem but I'm betting something is getting mixxed up over the network so it's just a matter of getting that cleared up and it will sort it's self out. 

And man that was a ruff game on sunday for the cowboys Romo needs to learn to center him self under pressure they had that game wrapped up if he had kept his head. *just my 2 cents on that*

I am a former DIRECTV employee however all statements opinions, views, expressions, etc, are entirely my own even if logic says otherwise.

They DO NOT reflect on DIRECTV and or any partner, affiliated company's, polices, processes, opinions, or things that are not listed here.

I have found that working with computers is like working with a toddler, sometimes there is no reason for the melt down, just keep on moving forward.

#6 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,658 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 16 September 2013 - 01:51 PM

I don't see any reference to the unit being networked, so am curious as to why a network reset would help. 

My next step would be to flush the Guide, done by two resets within 30 minutes. (menu resets, not RBRs)

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#7 OFFLINE   otaliema

otaliema

AllStar

• Registered
  • 171 posts
  • LocationMid-west USA

Posted 16 September 2013 - 01:58 PM

H24's need a MRV connection to get the play list and MRV with or with out a internet connection run on a network with in the DECA cloud just a intranet rather than a internet, so resetting the network settings will get the unit a new IP address with in the system or should anyways.

Now if they meant HR24 than it wont do any good to reset the network connection. 

If it is a HR24 and not a H24 than reset defaults would be the next step prior to setting everything so they keep thier recordings

#8 OFFLINE   996911

Go Pack!

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 809 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 02:03 PM

I don't see any reference to the unit being networked, so am curious as to why a network reset would help. 

My next step would be to flush the Guide, done by two resets within 30 minutes. (menu resets, not RBRs)

I assume its networked since it has to get the playlist from the other DVRs on the system, no?

H24's need a MRV connection to get the play list and MRV with or with out a internet connection run on a network with in the DECA cloud just a intranet rather than a internet, so resetting the network settings will get the unit a new IP address with in the system or should anyways.

Now if they meant HR24 than it wont do any good to reset the network connection. 

If it is a HR24 and not a H24 than reset defaults would be the next step prior to setting everything so they keep thier recordings

Thanks for the clarification. It is a H24 and it gets the playlist from 3 DVRS (2 HR24s and a HR34).

With that said, im not sure how resetting the network connections would fix the issue since its still getting the playlist. Or am I not understanding this entirely clear? I'm guessing the later :)
Cheers,
Ray Johnson

#9 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,658 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 16 September 2013 - 02:04 PM

Thank you. Misread the H24 for HR24. Big diff!

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#10 OFFLINE   otaliema

otaliema

AllStar

• Registered
  • 171 posts
  • LocationMid-west USA

Posted 16 September 2013 - 02:11 PM

The H24 has no built in playlist sorting options they are virtual only there if their is a MRV connection, so someplace between the DVR's and the H24 some data is getting corrupted or the unit it's self has a back end setting messed up that we can't access.

Resetting the network defaults will/should resolve the issue if it's networking related problem, the reset everything will/should solve the issue if it's a internal thing. 

I told you to do the network reset first as it's faster and if fixes it no need to "nuke" the box and have to set it all back up. 

#11 OFFLINE   996911

Go Pack!

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 809 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 02:18 PM

ok, so that makes sense.  I'll take a peek at that tonight and see if it helps.  Thanks again for the help! -RJ

Cheers,
Ray Johnson

#12 OFFLINE   otaliema

otaliema

AllStar

• Registered
  • 171 posts
  • LocationMid-west USA

Posted 16 September 2013 - 02:36 PM

NP RJ let us know what happens with it so we know for the future or can provide addtional suggestions on things to try short of going out and getting the 15 lbs universal persuasion tool.  :rolling:

#13 OFFLINE   996911

Go Pack!

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 809 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 07:07 AM

Been a crazy week and I haven't had much time to sit down and do the full reset as I will want to verify settings, etc, before.  I did work on the network settings as I was also getting FREQUENT drops off the network.  Found that help in a other THREAD here.  Network settings didn't help for that issue either and not quite sure what the issue is.  Really starting to get frustrated with these D* boxes.  

The issues I am stil trying to fix:

1. (1) H24 box doesn't sort playlists correctly

2. several times a day various boxes "disconnect from the network" and stop playing recorded show from playlist.  

Edited by 996911, 23 September 2013 - 07:12 AM.

Cheers,
Ray Johnson

#14 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,781 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:05 PM

...several times a day various boxes "disconnect from the network" and stop playing recorded show from playlist.  

This is possibly the source of the first problem.  How are the units networked? (DECA or Ethernet)  Describe your network in as much detail as possible (router, topology, etc.) and we'll see if we can help.

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#15 OFFLINE   996911

Go Pack!

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 809 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:44 PM

Diana, thanks for the reply and offer to help!  It is greatly apprecaited.

Here is the system as it is:

Hardware:

(1) HR34 and primary receiver

(2) HR24

(2) H25 

(1) H24

Signal comes in from dish to SWM unit and then out to the 6 boxes directly.

The network topology is as follows:

RG6 line into the home from TWC connects to DOCsis 3.0 modem.  Modem goes out to newest gen Apple Airport Extreme base station which then goes out to 24 port multiswitch. Hard ethernet line (Cat6) directly connected to HR34 and all the rest of the boxes are RG6 coax connected.

Hope that covers as much as possible.  I'm sure I left something out but I'm trying to visualize the entire system from my office at work :)

Cheers,
Ray Johnson

#16 OFFLINE   996911

Go Pack!

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 809 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 10:20 AM

Anything? Still have this crazy sorting on the non DVR boxes.
Cheers,
Ray Johnson

#17 OFFLINE   996911

Go Pack!

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 809 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 10:22 AM

FYI....it appears the disconnecting from the network issue is solved as it seems to have been the result of a bad RG6 cable that was crimped. The playlist issue is still pervasive
Cheers,
Ray Johnson

spam firewall