Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

NHL Preseason question

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,216 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:15 AM

If this were a regular season game, it would be blacked out for out-of-market viewers unless they had Center Ice. It's a way of persuading people to subscribe to CI. Very reasonable. But it is a preseason game, and is not available on CI, so what is the point in blacking it out? There's no reason, financial or otherwise, to have this blackout. I think the sports channel just sets the blackout as if it were a regular season game, and does not think about it.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,717 posts
  • LocationLancaster, PA area

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:33 AM

It's weird that D* only has NHL Network turned on during the NHL season for sub's with lower than the Ultimate package.

http://support.direc...WQvVy1CYjhFQWw=

Must be new this year, as in past years, I've watched NHL Network all year long, even pre-season games.  Why did this change this year?

HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200 (2), 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV), Cinema Kit (Wifi connection)
Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#23 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,801 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 18 September 2013 - 10:38 AM

It's weird that D* only has NHL Network turned on during the NHL season for sub's with lower than the Ultimate package.

Must be new this year, as in past years, I've watched NHL Network all year long, even pre-season games. Why did this change this year?

They probably forgot to turn it off.

#24 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,202 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 11:27 AM

I don't get why anyone here thinks out if market rsns should be turned on ever for preseason games if try don't have nhlci. And it been said that doesn't start till the season begins either. The league isn't going to set one rule on markets for preseason and another for regular season.

With that said they should IMHO because it can only increase interest. But they have local contracts to abide by for tv viewing and such and they don't compensate for preseason out of market via ci so its not going to happen.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

#25 OFFLINE   quik

quik

AllStar

• Registered
  • 64 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 11:31 AM

Must be new this year, as in past years, I've watched NHL Network all year long, even pre-season games.  Why did this change this year?

Didn't know that changed wow. WTH. Those sports channels fight hard to be kept part of the standard TV packages to make sure they get exposure. I guess DirecTV went ahead and moved it anyway...

I've still got some older package (Choice XTRA Classic). I've never had an issue watching NHL Network, then again I've usually always had Center ICE. Also that channel was working last year at my sister's place, she doesn't have ultimate either.

Like it was mentioned above when did they make this change?

Are some people not able to watch NHL Network right now? 

Edited by quik, 18 September 2013 - 11:36 AM.

quick
1 x HR22-100 HD-DVR

1 x HR34-700 Genie

#26 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,390 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 18 September 2013 - 04:17 PM

I've still got some older package (Choice XTRA Classic). I've never had an issue watching NHL Network,

That is because the NHLN is grandfathered in with that package. 

#27 OFFLINE   milton

milton

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 216 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 05:38 PM

I don't get why anyone here thinks out if market rsns should be turned on ever for preseason games if try don't have nhlci. And it been said that doesn't start till the season begins either. The league isn't going to set one rule on markets for preseason and another for regular season.

With that said they should IMHO because it can only increase interest. But they have local contracts to abide by for tv viewing and such and they don't compensate for preseason out of market via ci so its not going to happen.

I think you answered your own question.  The reason preseason games should be turned on is to increase interest in the sport -- a sport that ranks down there with soccer in America.

#28 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,390 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:39 PM

Oh yea.  The preseason games I've seen so far really generate interest in hockey. 

Interest in finding the remote and changing channels. 

#29 OFFLINE   charlie460

charlie460

Godfather

• Registered
  • 395 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:54 PM

I have CI and Sports Pack and I'm still unable to watch the preseason games on the RSNs, have been able to do this in years past... hoping FS-D won't be blacked out for tomorrow's game.

#30 OFFLINE   fireponcoal

fireponcoal

Icon

• Registered
  • 724 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 06:21 AM

I think you answered your own question. The reason preseason games should be turned on is to increase interest in the sport -- a sport that ranks down there with soccer in America.

Well, in Philadelphia these days the Philly Union and Flyers are much more popular then our lowly 76's(seemingly at least).

#31 OFFLINE   Grafixguy

Grafixguy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 387 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 08:36 AM

I don't get why anyone here thinks out if market rsns should be turned on ever for preseason games

Because they ALWAYS HAVE BEEN. Nobody's asking for something they never had before.

• ohpuckhead likes this

#32 OFFLINE   GlennDio

GlennDio

Icon

• Registered
  • 587 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Posted 19 September 2013 - 03:43 PM

one year (1998 I think) the spring training games (MLB  in March)  were getting Blacked out the first two days of the exhibition season so I called MLB got the person in charge of marketing the TV rights and explained to him that they had always been available and that obviously someone in Philly watching a red sox/twins spring training game in Ft Myers wasn't hurting the sport but helping its popularity. he agreed said he would fix and a day or two later it was fixed (I really don't know if it had anything to do with my call, but anyways...) I don't care about preseason anything except MLB so I haven't tried to view or call and complain but if I did care I would call the NHL offices not DirecTV's.  just my two cents...

• ohpuckhead likes this

#33 OFFLINE   quik

quik

AllStar

• Registered
  • 64 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 04:00 PM

one year (1998 I think) the spring training games (MLB  in March)  were getting Blacked out the first two days of the exhibition season so I called MLB got the person in charge of marketing the TV rights and explained to him that they had always been available and that obviously someone in Philly watching a red sox/twins spring training game in Ft Myers wasn't hurting the sport but helping its popularity. he agreed said he would fix and a day or two later it was fixed (I really don't know if it had anything to do with my call, but anyways...) I don't care about preseason anything except MLB so I haven't tried to view or call and complain but if I did care I would call the NHL offices not DirecTV's.  just my two cents...

Thought I would give it a shot... called some NHL phone number. Surprisingly they picked first ring with a real person... I asked to speak to someone about blackouts on preseason games. They transferred to a voice mail, that asks you to leave your TV Provider name, your number and state the issue, and that they would contact you back. I went ahead and left a message. Not expecting anything out of it but maybe if a few more people call inquiring about it something might happen.

Let's hope its just an issue where someone forgot to remove the blackout restrictions for preseason. Where they are still using the in-season rules or whatever.

NHL Corporate offices NY 212-789-2000

Edited by quik, 19 September 2013 - 04:01 PM.

quick
1 x HR22-100 HD-DVR

1 x HR34-700 Genie

#34 OFFLINE   GlennDio

GlennDio

Icon

• Registered
  • 587 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Posted 19 September 2013 - 04:12 PM

Thought I would give it a shot... called some NHL phone number. Surprisingly they picked first ring with a real person... I asked to speak to someone about blackouts on preseason games. They transferred to a voice mail, that asks you to leave your TV Provider name, your number and state the issue, and that they would contact you back. I went ahead and left a message. Not expecting anything out of it but maybe if a few more people call inquiring about it something might happen.

Let's hope its just an issue where someone forgot to remove the blackout restrictions for preseason. Where they are still using the in-season rules or whatever.

NHL Corporate offices NY 212-789-2000

thought since you did all the hard work I could help out ...called the number but switchboard closes at 6pm eastern time...LOL I will try tomorrow

• quik likes this

#35 OFFLINE   steve_launch

steve_launch

Mentor

• Registered
  • 71 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 04:23 PM

thought since you did all the hard work I could help out ...called the number but switchboard closes at 6pm eastern time...LOL I will try tomorrow

Maybe I'll call them and share my thoughts on how the league should mandate that all cable providers broadcast all games in HD on Center Ice, the way all the other professional sports do.

#36 OFFLINE   quik

quik

AllStar

• Registered
  • 64 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 04:32 PM

Thanks lol, I must have just called before they closed. Thanks for trying.

Maybe I'll call them and share my thoughts on how the league should mandate that all cable providers broadcast all games in HD on Center Ice, the way all the other professional sports do.

Who is your provider? I guess I'm just spoiled with DirecTVs HD coverage of center ice, but the only teams or games I recall being in SD on directv were some Canadian broadcasted games.

Are there really some other teams games not being shown in HD on directv, besides some Canadian broadcasts of course...?

quick
1 x HR22-100 HD-DVR

1 x HR34-700 Genie

#37 OFFLINE   charlie460

charlie460

Godfather

• Registered
  • 395 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 04:41 PM

This is not something they could mandate. It's primarily an issue of lack of bandwidth...

#38 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,132 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 19 September 2013 - 04:47 PM

Considering that iNDemand uses 14 SD feeds and only 9 HD feeds shared by Extra Innings and Center Ice along with 10 SD and only 9 HD feeds shared by League Pass and Direct Kick, if there was a mandate for every game in HD it would be impossible for any digital cable provider to follow it. (Not to mention very few cable systems actually offer all 18 of iNDemand's HD feeds)

Also, DirecTV does provide HD feeds when they can, but the times of the year when MLB, NHL, MLS, NBA and NCAA are all active, their shared bandwidth is in use by the part time RSNs and alternates for local coverage which is remaped for the out of market sports packages. The first thing to go is the HD feeds for non-carried stations like CSN Philly, Northwest, Houston, CBC, TSN, Sportsnet, OTA games, and on really busy nights, they might not even offer these games in SD.

#39 OFFLINE   charlie460

charlie460

Godfather

• Registered
  • 395 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 05:05 PM

Wings game is blacked out. ******.

#40 OFFLINE   blackhawkzone

blackhawkzone

Godfather

• Registered
  • 532 posts