Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

NHL Preseason question

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   charlie460

charlie460

Godfather

• Registered
  • 381 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 05:19 PM

I can't see any reason why they would NOT want out of market viewers to be able to see this, even with the center ice package

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   milton

milton

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 164 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 05:41 AM

Maybe the NHL is starting to play the MLB game of strict controls of content --- to the point of blacking out classic games replayed from the 1970s and 9/11 tributes done by teams.

I don't see how the benefits outweigh the costs, but they can do whatever they want I guess.

#43 OFFLINE   TANK

TANK

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 876 posts
  • LocationFLORIDA

Posted 20 September 2013 - 10:38 AM

The NHL knows that "out of market" hockey fans will buy NHLCI even  with blackouts of these preseason games.

The last two lockouts have sent a strong message to owners that no matter what you do ,the hard core NHLCI subs will keep buying the NHLCI package. Lifting those black outs isn't going to make a meaningful difference in the number of NHLCI subs.

Plus they have a vested interest in getting as many viewers as they can for those nightly NHLN games. 

#44 OFFLINE   PrinceLH

PrinceLH

Godfather

• Registered
  • 469 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 12:40 PM

Guess again!  I bought it last year, but this year, no thanks!  They screwed around with the blackouts, because I'm in Upper New York State, and I was locked out of a number of games, that where on NHLN and was supposed to be on the regional sports network, but where blacked out, because the Sabres where playing.  Eventhough I'm in the Sabres area, the Rangers, Islanders and Devils also are allowed to be watched, in varying blackout situations.  I still can't figure out what the criteria is, but it's annoying, to say the least.

#45 OFFLINE   ohpuckhead

ohpuckhead

Godfather

• Registered
  • 280 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 04:40 PM

It's up to the team and the regional sports network, not a DirecTV decision.. Center Ice does not include the preseason games.

You are correct, but in past years there were no blackouts during the preseason.

#46 OFFLINE   ohpuckhead

ohpuckhead

Godfather

• Registered
  • 280 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 04:43 PM

For me too. I don't know why the team or the RSN does this. I have Sportspack AND center ice.

Agreed, but as has been repeated before, preseason has nothing to do with center ice and vice versa.

#47 OFFLINE   ohpuckhead

ohpuckhead

Godfather

• Registered
  • 280 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 04:45 PM

Where did you read that it would be viewable?

It isn't that anyone read it. It is going on past practice by the NHL and the RSN's.  (Not counting market-related blackouts) there were no blackouts during pre-season.

#48 OFFLINE   ohpuckhead

ohpuckhead

Godfather

• Registered
  • 280 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 04:50 PM

I don't get why anyone here thinks out if market rsns should be turned on ever for preseason games if try don't have nhlci. And it been said that doesn't start till the season begins either. The league isn't going to set one rule on markets for preseason and another for regular season.

With that said they should IMHO because it can only increase interest. But they have local contracts to abide by for tv viewing and such and they don't compensate for preseason out of market via ci so its not going to happen.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

and we are saying this is a NEW policy this year. (Directv since 1995.)

#49 OFFLINE   Grafixguy

Grafixguy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 376 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 07:49 AM

Plus they have a vested interest in getting as many viewers as they can for those nightly NHLN games. 

Then maybe they should start treating the games they have along with the fans with some respect. They run a very intrusive crawl that repeats the same crap over and over again, slap a huge NHL Network LIVE logo in the corner and squeeze the hell out the picture to fit what little screen real estate is left. I've said it before...the NHL Network was a great idea gone horribly wrong and if you want an idea of how crappy it is, all you have to do is look at those mycleanpc commercials. The fact that that's the best they can do for advertising even during a live game is very telling.

#50 OFFLINE   milton

milton

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 164 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 08:11 AM

Then maybe they should start treating the games they have along with the fans with some respect. They run a very intrusive crawl that repeats the same crap over and over again, slap a huge NHL Network LIVE logo in the corner and squeeze the hell out the picture to fit what little screen real estate is left. I've said it before...the NHL Network was a great idea gone horribly wrong and if you want an idea of how crappy it is, all you have to do is look at those mycleanpc commercials. The fact that that's the best they can do for advertising even during a live game is very telling.

Agreed. MLB Network should be the model for NHL Network.  I can't understand why the NHLN crawl has to be bigger than every other sports channel. 

#51 OFFLINE   Grafixguy

Grafixguy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 376 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 08:20 AM

I can't understand why it needs to be there at all during a live game. There are a million other ways to get scores and information. I could even understand running it every 20 minutes or so just to update the scores but beyond that it's useless.

#52 OFFLINE   milton

milton

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 164 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 08:52 AM

What's awful is that the NHL doesn't allow for NHLCI to broadcast games that are on NHLN.  This forces you to (1) listen to the feed that the NHLN chooses, (2) have to put up with the NHLN logo and awful bottom line, (3) miss HNIC post-game, (4) often miss parts of the game because they don't always sync properly with the local RSN they are using the feed from, and (5) the weird blackout situation that occurs for NHLN games but not NHLCI games that has been documented on this thread.

It's said when hockey fans who subscribe to NHLCI hope that NHLN doesn't pick up the game.

MLBEI broadcasts games that are on MLBN.

#53 OFFLINE   dhkinil

dhkinil

Icon

• Registered
  • 652 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 09:46 AM

What's awful is that the NHL doesn't allow for NHLCI to broadcast games that are on NHLN.  This forces you to (1) listen to the feed that the NHLN chooses, (2) have to put up with the NHLN logo and awful bottom line, (3) miss HNIC post-game, (4) often miss parts of the game because they don't always sync properly with the local RSN they are using the feed from, and (5) the weird blackout situation that occurs for NHLN games but not NHLCI games that has been documented on this thread.

It's said when hockey fans who subscribe to NHLCI hope that NHLN doesn't pick up the game.

MLBEI broadcasts games that are on MLBN.

But that would require that the owners of NHL teams would have to be as smart as owners of MLB teams, granted that is a very low hurdle, but apparently still significant. 

#54 OFFLINE   Sea bass

Sea bass

Icon

• Registered
  • 646 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 08:58 PM

This sucks. Kings are on, I am subbed to CI. Blacked out. This sucks. Thanks NHL & Directv.

#55 OFFLINE   blackhawkzone

blackhawkzone

Godfather

• Registered
  • 507 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:57 PM

the preseason games have NOT been blacked out with Gamecenter. Same with Center Ice on the Canadian Dishes.

#56 OFFLINE   quik

quik

AllStar

• Registered
  • 63 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 11:23 PM

the preseason games have NOT been blacked out with Gamecenter. Same with Center Ice on the Canadian Dishes.

Kinda too late now but. The more people that call them and make them aware of the issue the more likely they will fix it, if its a mistake of course. If its on purpose at least they will know how pissed off we are.

NHL Corporate offices NY 212-789-2000 (call before 6pm EST)

With all that said I think few other people have hit the nail on the head. The issue is they want ratings on the NHL Network, they want to push the carriers to carry it in their basic/standard programming package and the only way they can do that and still charge the rate they want is getting demand for the channel.

I also agree that the mother#$@!#@# NHL Network crawler is horrible. One reason why its so huge I think is to hide the other affliates own crawlers at the bottom. That doesn't mean they have to show it ALL the TIME! Even worse they show it on a re-broadcast of a game that was blacked out on all other networks, along with the SCORE of the that game... completely ruining it. I for one can't watch games if I already know the score.

Anyway the pre-season is pretty much over but I needed to add my 2 cents (again). NHL/NHL Network get your @#$@ together!

Edited by quik, 24 September 2013 - 11:25 PM.

quick
1 x HR22-100 HD-DVR

1 x HR34-700 Genie

#57 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,699 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 25 September 2013 - 07:00 AM

I wonder if they're blacked out on Dish and cable? If not, then this does sound like a D* issue.

#58 OFFLINE   ep1974

ep1974

Legend

• Registered
  • 385 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 12:32 PM

I can't understand why it needs to be there at all during a live game. There are a million other ways to get scores and information. I could even understand running it every 20 minutes or so just to update the scores but beyond that it's useless.

Totally agree. Get rid of the annoying crawl. What's a good e-mail address to contact them re: their NHL broadcasts, not that it would do any good, but it couldn't hurt.

#59 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,699 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 25 September 2013 - 07:30 PM

I tried looking for games tonight on NHLGC and didn't see any listed. How are you getting them?

#60 OFFLINE   blackhawkzone

blackhawkzone

Godfather

• Registered
  • 507 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 08:13 PM

watching calgary/phoenix at the moment via gamecenter. tsn feed.

spam firewall