Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Sat Go "dish" question

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dunar

dunar

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 10:37 PM

Bought a Sat Go off of eBay, thought it would be perfect for tailgating without an extravagant setup. The receiver/screen work well, hooked it up to a Legacy port on my SWiM-8, got it activated and running. However, when I took the whole rig outside to test, I get all zeros for signal strength. Double checked my aim, re-did the setup several times, no change. Then I disassembled the briefcase/dish, checked connections there (all were good). I went as far as pulling the dish out and tried connecting it to the receiver just to see if I could get anything, still all zeroes. Any ideas on what I may have missed? What is likely shot, the LNB? What could I do to test further? Any help would be much appreciated!!!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,485 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 17 September 2013 - 12:29 AM

Sounds like its built-in LNB is defective.   It's only going to work with an external dish.

HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#3 OFFLINE   dunar

dunar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 05:28 AM

Probably a near impossibility, any chance I'd be able to find a replacement part? The LNB/dish is made by Motonix, have found next to nothing in my searches. Or would I be better off hunting for a Sat Go unit that has a defective receiver/screen being sold as parts? There probably aren't many of those out there either... I thought about just going with a round dish and tripod, but that pretty much defeats the purpose of the Sat Go, in it's ultra-portability. That and my vehicle is already loaded to the gills w/ tailgating gear, not sure I have room to add an 18" dish... 

#4 OFFLINE   jcrandall

jcrandall

Godfather

• Registered
  • 360 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:33 PM

Tried replacing the real thin coax cable the satgo uses with a regular coax? That cable is pretty delicate.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

#5 OFFLINE   dunar

dunar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 12:58 PM

Got a Winegard Carryout MP1 on the way, hoping it resolves my issue!

If the built-in was working, how sensitive would it be? I'm second guessing my attempts at setting it up, but I should have been getting something on the signal meter if I was relatively close on my aim, right?

#6 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,324 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 02 October 2013 - 06:06 PM

Got a Winegard Carryout MP1 on the way, hoping it resolves my issue!

If the built-in was working, how sensitive would it be? I'm second guessing my attempts at setting it up, but I should have been getting something on the signal meter if I was relatively close on my aim, right?

depends what "relatively close" to you means.  there is not much room for error.

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#7 OFFLINE   dunar

dunar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 06:16 PM

depends what "relatively close" to you means.  there is not much room for error.

Sounds like I need to head back out side and try again. "Relatively close" is/was a quick, within a few degrees attempt, figuring I'd get something other than all 0s if I was within 5 degrees in any direction. I planned to fine tune from there and gave up quickly when it was 0, 0, 0... How slowly do should I adjust? The directions aren't clear. Set it and wait a minute before moving? I'd much rather use the built in, and if I can get it going, I can just resell the MP1.

#8 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,792 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 02 October 2013 - 08:25 PM

How slowly? Slow. Move the LNB about an inch, stop and look at the signal level. Move it another inch, stop and check. Etc., until you either find the signal or have gone in an arc 10 degrees either side of where you think it should be.  If that happens and you never find the signal, adjust your elevation and then do the azimuth sweep again. When you finally do get the signal, carefully maximize it (elevation and azimuth).Once you think you have 101 peaked as high as you can get it, do the fine tuning (dithering) adjustments to peak 99 and 103.

#9 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,742 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 03 October 2013 - 09:34 AM

This is a SatGo....it doesn't receive 99 or 103.  This is a 101 alignment issue only.

The SatGo uses a flat panel antenna that is electronically aimed.  You should only need to point it approximately and then the electronics should lock on the signal automatically. You may need to get closer than 5 degrees, but somewhere close to there you SHOULD be getting a signal.

Dish Network Customer from 1998-2001
DirecTV Customer since October, 2001
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#10 OFFLINE   dunar

dunar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 10:57 AM

Yeah, I spent about 20 minutes with it last night, I got all 0's. So either the flat dish/LNB is shot or I've got a bad connection somewhere. Something to address later and/or find a replacement. The MP1 should be delivered today, if it's early afternoon I'll see if I can get it working before heading to the game tonight (ISU vs Texas, I want to be in the tailgating lots around 3!)

#11 OFFLINE   dunar

dunar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 01:23 PM

Either I am having a run of bad luck in equipment or I'm doing something wrong, MP1 is not getting any signal either. No obstructions, and I've spent half an hour making tiny adjustments. Tried switching cables. Went as far as hauling everything back inside and hooking up to the legacy port on the SWM8, which worked as expected. It's almost like the receiver is refusing to work on the old, round dish. Probably best to go pick up a signal meter to test the dish(es)? This thing has been less than easy to get going...

Edited by dunar, 03 October 2013 - 01:24 PM.

#12 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,742 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 04 October 2013 - 12:45 PM

How are you getting the direction to point the "dish"?  Don't use the value from a multi LNB dish setup, since that will actually point you west of 101.  Make sure the receiver is set to a simple 18" round dish.  The receiver should then give you compass direction and elevation settings based upon your zip code.  Use the compass built into the antenna housing to point the antenna and tilt it to the correct settings.  That should get a signal of some kind, and then you can slowly tweak it for maximum strength.

If at that point you can't get a signal from the flat antenna or from a round conventional dish also pointed in the correct direction, I'd have to assume you have something (like trees) blocking the signal from your location (your home dish may sit at a higher location and so looks over the obstruction).

The receiver obviously works, since you can get a signal from the legacy ports on your SWM.  The odds of both a failed flat antenna and a bad new dish are remote.  Either you are using the wrong settings for aiming or there is an obstruction. 

Dish Network Customer from 1998-2001
DirecTV Customer since October, 2001
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#13 OFFLINE   dunar

dunar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 03:38 PM

I've got the SatGo setup for Round 18", Multiswitch (which I can't change, and the setup guide for the MP1 says to use.) I get 190A and 42E from Dish Pointing. With both the SatGo's flat dish and the MP1, I've used the built in compass to set the azimuth. The SatGo also has the elevation marked on that compass; the MP1 has markings on the right side adjustment. I've checked for obstructions each time I've tried to setup, using a really bright LED flashlight, holding it parallel with the aimed dish. The south west corner of my property (where I've been testing) has a single light pole and it has not been in the line of sight. Oddly enough, the Signal Strength screen lists a different A/E/T (203/39/? which I know the tilt doesn't matter on a round dish, right?) - of course, I've tried those values as well and got 0, 0, 0...

At this point, I think I really am 0 for 2 on eBay dish purchases. I'm racking my brain, trying to think of someone I know who has a signal meter, just so I can confirm it's on that side. At least I know I can get replacement parts or repair from Winegard, if the MP1 is faulty.

#14 OFFLINE   dunar

dunar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 03:16 PM

So here was another thought/question I just had while browsing stand-alone signal meters, one I looked at noted, "does not take any batteries, powered by receiver." Could my issue with both the SatGo dish and the MP1 be that the SatGo receiver isn't powering the dish/LNB? How would I test that? Would there be anyway to repair (doubtful, right)?

#15 OFFLINE   cjessee

cjessee

• Registered
  • 1 posts
  • LocationLouisville

Posted 18 October 2013 - 11:31 AM

I got one off of Craigslist too. It worked a few times I got it out, but the dish(case) was left out in a light rain. Now I can not find a signal. Can I replace the case with a slimline or newer dish?

spam firewall