Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Amazon Instant Video Now Supports AirPlay

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,273 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:19 AM

A new update to the Amazon Instant Video app now allows it to fully support AirPlay. That means you can finally stream Amazon Instant Video to your TV via your Apple TV. Now if they can just get a native all on the Apple TV...

- Merg

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• News Hound
  • 2,862 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:06 AM

In addition, version 2.1 integrates reviews and various info from IMDb, as well as giving you more ways to find things to watch.

Concurrent downloads are now supported, and the changelog also boasts improvements to the UI and "offline experience." 

All in all, it looks like a pretty significant update.

amazon.jpg

1 HR34-700, 1 C31-700, 1 HR24-500
Original install on April 20, 2008 - HR34 & C31 installed on August 24, 2013 - HR24 installed on July 23, 2010

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

#3 OFFLINE   itzme

itzme

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 09:01 AM

But is the feature crippled? Airplay (or Amazon) doesnt seem to suppoet Dolby. I just used Airplay on 2 Amazon movies and they only played in Stereo. I wondered if I needed to change any settings somewhere, but when I next tried my HBOGo app, Airplay gave me full Dolby 5.1 surround. I don't think I'd ever want to watch Captain America or Thor without Dolby.

#4 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Registered
  • 1,513 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 17 September 2013 - 09:45 AM

Question: Am I right in thinking it wont work with Apple TV unless you have an iOS device? 

LG Cinema Screen 47LM7600
Pioneer VSX-1120
X1 unit and yes it's Comcastic
Comcast Triple Play

#5 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• News Hound
  • 2,862 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 17 September 2013 - 09:47 AM

Question: Am I right in thinking it wont work with Apple TV unless you have an iOS device? 

Yup

1 HR34-700, 1 C31-700, 1 HR24-500
Original install on April 20, 2008 - HR34 & C31 installed on August 24, 2013 - HR24 installed on July 23, 2010

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

#6 OFFLINE   itzme

itzme

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 03:17 PM

I'll be concerned if Amazon is claiming to "fully support" airplay if it doesn't handle Dolby. Is anyone getting Dolby on their Sound systems? I'm wondering if it my AVR or a setting I haven't found. That'd be odd considering Dolby works great on my HBOgo app on the same iPad, same ATV, and same AVR.

#7 OFFLINE   itzme

itzme

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 03:32 PM

Nevermind testing, this email from support confirms that Dolby isn't supported. And apparently I've offered a really unique suggestion for supporting it...

Hello,

I apologize for the inconvenience caused.

At this time, 5.1 Dolby is not available on Amazon Instant Video app for iPad. We're regularly working on improvements to your Amazon Instant Video experience.

We have recently released an update on our app with additional feature like HDMI support and AirPlay and we will definitely consider your feedback and will try implementing in our future update.

However thanks for suggesting that we add 5.1 Dolby feature to our Amazon Instant Video app.

I've forwarded your feedback to our Amazon Instant Video development team for consideration as we make future improvements.

Thanks for your patience and giving me time to find the best solution.

We really appreciate your patience and understanding in this regard.

Best regards,
Aashish S
........................................................................................................................

Did I solve your problem?

If yes, please click here:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/survey?p

If no, please click here:

........................................................................................................................

Your feedback is helping us build Earth's Most Customer-Centric Company.

Thank you.
Amazon.com

---- Original Message: ----

I can't get 5.1 Dolby on this app. I can when I use HBOgo app.

Amazon Instant Video for iPad
iPad 2 Wi-Fi, iOS 6.1.3

Sent from my iPad

#8 OFFLINE   gjrhine

gjrhine

Legend

• Registered
  • 232 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 11:11 AM

Nevermind testing, this email from support confirms that Dolby isn't supported. And apparently I've offered a really unique suggestion for supporting it...

Hello,

I apologize for the inconvenience caused.

At this time, 5.1 Dolby is not available on Amazon Instant Video app for iPad. We're regularly working on improvements to your Amazon Instant Video experience.

We have recently released an update on our app with additional feature like HDMI support and AirPlay and we will definitely consider your feedback and will try implementing in our future update.

However thanks for suggesting that we add 5.1 Dolby feature to our Amazon Instant Video app.

I've forwarded your feedback to our Amazon Instant Video development team for consideration as we make future improvements.

Thanks for your patience and giving me time to find the best solution.

We really appreciate your patience and understanding in this regard.

Best regards,
Aashish S

Did I solve your problem?

If yes, please click here:

If no, please click here:

Your feedback is helping us build Earth's Most Customer-Centric Company.

Thank you.
Amazon.com

---- Original Message: ----

I can't get 5.1 Dolby on this app. I can when I use HBOgo app.

Amazon Instant Video for iPad
iPad 2 Wi-Fi, iOS 6.1.3

Sent from my iPad

It's still Dolby just not 5.1.  Your receiver will make it up to 7.1, the next best thing to Dolby 5.1.

Gary

#9 OFFLINE   itzme

itzme

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 09:46 PM

So if I play a movie that is normally Dolby via Airplay using HBOgo my receiver gives me Dolby 5.1.  If I play a movie using the Amazon app via Airplay, I just get Stereo, not 5.1 not 7.1, just Stereo.  Same AVR.  Are you telling me I'm getting Dolby Stereo?  If so, I was hoping I'd get 5.1 (like I get with the HBOgo app), not Stereo (like with the Amazon app). 

#10 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 09:00 AM

Sounds to me like the Amazon Instant Video app doesn't support Dolby Digtial greater than 2.0 at all right now no matter how you use it.  My guess is since the app was originally for just on your phone/ipad they figured DD 2.0 was good enough since you would most likely be listening with the built in speakers or headphones, so why bother with 5.1 (or greater).

Now that it does support Airplay and HDMI out I would think they will eventually update the app to support DD 5.1.

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

Protected By... spam firewall...And...