Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DTV Card Access number

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   sunfire9us

sunfire9us

Godfather

• Registered
  • 371 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 10:42 AM

Hey guys, it looks like I lost the phone number to Card Access. I tried to see if I could catch in an older post here and couldn't get it. I was planning to call them about info about buying a Genie when I upgrade ( full price NOT the lease price) have yet to hear if anyone has bought a fully owned unit yet. So does someone have the number? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,115 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 17 September 2013 - 11:11 AM

I believe this is the right number, not sure if they can do that with the Genie. 877-887-7994

#3 OFFLINE   LiQiCE

LiQiCE

Mentor

• Registered
  • 232 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted 17 September 2013 - 12:01 PM

dpeters has the right number.

If you google search for Directv access card department you would find the number too.

I don't know if you can buy a Genie 'owned' directly from Directv, I've never tried it.  I have been told by multiple CSRs that you cannot own a Genie - this is because (at least according to what I was told) currently DTV is not allowing their employees to get a Genie as their 1 free receiver each year (which is owned).  However - I know for a fact that you can have an owned Genie - because I own one! :)

A retention person I was talking to did say that if you do not return a receiver and pay the non-return fee you can call Directv and get them to change it the receiver from leased to owned.  He said this happened once because someone had a DVR in their RV and they built the receiver into the RV so it was difficult to remove - and sold the receiver with the RV, but the new person couldn't activate it until he deactivated it, paid the non-return fee and then they changed the receiver over to 'owned'.

Good luck and report back if you were successful in buying an owned Genie!  If you are unsuccessful, I know you can look on this forum's For Sale area and eBay - I see owned HR34s for sale all the time on eBay but sadly very few owned HR44s.

Edited by LiQiCE, 17 September 2013 - 04:04 PM.

Owned: HR44-700, HR24-500

Leased: HR24-100

#4 OFFLINE   sunfire9us

sunfire9us

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 371 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 12:51 PM

dpeters has the right number.

If you google search for Directv access card department you would find the number too.

I don't know if you can buy a Genie 'owned' directly from Directv, I've never tried it. I have been told be multiple CSRs that you cannot own a Genie - this is because (at least according to what I was told) currently DTV is not allowing their employees to get a Genie as their 1 free receiver each year (which is owned). However - I know for a fact that you can have an owned Genie - because I own one! :)

A retention person I was talking to did say that if you do not return a receiver and pay the non-return fee you can call Directv and get them to change it the receiver from leased to owned. He said this happened once because someone had a DVR in their RV and they built the receiver into the RV so it was difficult to remove - and sold the receiver with the RV, but the new person couldn't activate it until he deactivated it, paid the non-return fee and then they changed the receiver over to 'owned'.

Good luck and report back if you were successful in buying an owned Genie! If you are unsuccessful, I know you can look on this forum's For Sale area and eBay - I see owned HR34s for sale all the time on eBay but sadly very few owned HR44s.

Thanks for letting me know its obviously possible if you already own yours. Till now, I've never heard anyone say they owned theirs yet. I figure somewhere in the next month I'll get an HR44. I'll get one thru Solid Signal and before having it activated, go thru the process with Card Access so they can automatically add the difference on my bill to pay it off as well as having it turned on as an owned unit. I did this the same way back then with my HR21 and that was it. How much did you have to pay to buy your Genie outright? Back then I recall it was $300 on any of the models which by coincidence is what they charge you if you don't return a leased unit.

#5 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 17 September 2013 - 01:50 PM

I did notice with all this that LiQiCE didnt give any clues as to how he was able to own his HR44.....

#6 OFFLINE   sunfire9us

sunfire9us

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 371 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 03:54 PM

I did notice with all this that LiQiCE didnt give any clues as to how he was able to own his HR44.....

When it comes to buying/owing a receiver/dvr, you have two choices: you go thru Card Access and order it BUT you don't know 1) if you're going to get a brand new Genie next to the one you want . So I would tell you the second option is the best way..... Go to Solid Signal and buy one from them then you go thru Card Access and tell them you wish to buy it. They will add the extra $300 ( that's what it was last to my knowledge) on your bill and of course at the same time change and activate the status of the receiver/dvr to owned. Back when I bought my HR21, that was when you could still get them at Best Buy and this was the way I did it. I just hadn't heard if they were allowing people the chance to buy the Genies or not yet was alll. I still would expect when the time comes I get to it, the charge would most likely be $300 to finish buying the Genie.Yeah owing the receivers/dvr's is expensive, but I prefer the old way of things. All you had to remember price wise is to own the box, you add $300 on with the "up front fee" which in the case of a Genie is also $300 something I saw on Solid Signal. So that tells you in the case of the new Genie, it would cost you $600 to actually own it.

Edited by sunfire9us, 17 September 2013 - 03:57 PM.

#7 OFFLINE   LiQiCE

LiQiCE

Mentor

• Registered
  • 232 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 04:00 PM

Thanks for letting me know its obviously possible if you already own yours. Till now, I've never heard anyone say they owned theirs yet. I figure somewhere in the next month I'll get an HR44. I'll get one thru Solid Signal and before having it activated, go thru the process with Card Access so they can automatically add the difference on my bill to pay it off as well as having it turned on as an owned unit. I did this the same way back then with my HR21 and that was it. How much did you have to pay to buy your Genie outright? Back then I recall it was $300 on any of the models which by coincidence is what they charge you if you don't return a leased unit.

Actually they recently reduced the price for a non-returned receiver - if you don't return a DVR or a Genie, the price is now only $135.  I know because I just sent back an HR23 and on the instructions it says if I don't return it they will charge me $135 for an HD-DVR or Genie.

If they only charge you the $135 plus the $299 cost from solidsignal, you would only pay $435 - a fair deal in my opinion.

As for how I got my HR44 owned - I bought it from another DBSTalk member in the Buy, Sell, Trade forum.  Here is the link to where I bought it from:

http://www.dbstalk.c...-hr44-for-sale/

I paid $500 plus shipping so you'd be ahead of me and your unit would be brand new (and you wouldn't have to pay the $20 for a new Access Card).

#8 OFFLINE   sunfire9us

sunfire9us

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 371 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 04:07 PM

Actually they recently reduced the price for a non-returned receiver - if you don't return a DVR or a Genie, the price is now only $135.  I know because I just sent back an HR23 and on the instructions it says if I don't return it they will charge me $135 for an HD-DVR or Genie.

If they only charge you the $135 plus the $299 cost from solidsignal, you would only pay $435 - a fair deal in my opinion.

As for how I got my HR44 owned - I bought it from another DBSTalk member in the Buy, Sell, Trade forum.  Here is the link to where I bought it from:

http://www.dbstalk.c...-hr44-for-sale/

I paid $500 plus shipping so you'd be ahead of me and your unit would be brand new (and you wouldn't have to pay the $20 for a new Access Card).

I'm not sure it has something to do with how long you've had your receiver/dvr as to how much they charge you. When I bought my HR21 at Best Buy, it wasn't till a year later I called Card Access and told them I wished to buy it. Instead of charging me the full $300 they charged me $200. Something tells me if I asked them the price for a leased H24 and H21 receiver on my account it would cost, I wouldnt doubt it would cost what you just said since the 2 year contract period is over for the latest one which of course was the H24.

#9 OFFLINE   LiQiCE

LiQiCE

Mentor

• Registered
  • 232 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 04:12 PM

I'm not sure it has something to do with how long you've had your receiver/dvr as to how much they charge you. When I bought my HR21 at Best Buy, it wasn't till a year later I called Card Access and told them I wished to buy it. Instead of charging me the full $300 they charged me $200. Something tells me if I asked them the price for a leased H24 and H21 receiver on my account it would cost, I wouldnt doubt it would cost what you just said since the 2 year contract period is over for the latest one which of course was the H24.

According to DTV's Website, $135 is just the price - there is no time involved.

EQUIPMENT RETURN, NON-RETURN FEES. If you cease to be our customer (whether voluntarily or involuntarily), you must contact DIRECTV within 7 days of termination of your base level of programming to arrange for an equipment return kit or kits, and instructions on how to return your leased equipment [DIRECTV Receiver(s), Genie Mini Client(s) Wireless Video Bridge(s), access card(s), and remote(s)]. Leased equipment must be returned in good working order, normal wear and tear excepted. If we haven't received your leased equipment within 21 days of termination of your base level of programming, or if the equipment is returned in damaged condition, we will charge you $45 for each standard DIRECTV Receiver, $135 for each DVR, $45 for each HD Receiver, $135 for each HD DVR, $135 for each Genie HD DVR and $45 for each Genie Mini,Client so please promptly attend to your equipment return. We reserve the right to charge these fees to the credit or debit card you have on file with us. If you are leasing a DVR, HD or HD DVR Receiver and decide to terminate DVR service or HD Access or both, as applicable, you agree to return that advanced equipment (and replace with standard Receiver(s) if you are not terminating your base level of programming), in accordance with this paragraph, or we will charge you the stated fees. Visit directv.com or call 1.800.531.5000 for details.

#10 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,366 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 04:14 PM

When it comes to buying/owing a receiver/dvr, you have two choices: you go thru Card Access and order it BUT you don't know 1) if you're going to get a brand new Genie next to the one you want . So I would tell you the second option is the best way..... Go to Solid Signal and buy one from them then you go thru Card Access and tell them you wish to buy it. They will add the extra $300 ( that's what it was last to my knowledge) on your bill and of course at the same time change and activate the status of the receiver/dvr to owned. Back when I bought my HR21, that was when you could still get them at Best Buy and this was the way I did it. I just hadn't heard if they were allowing people the chance to buy the Genies or not yet was alll. I still would expect when the time comes I get to it, the charge would most likely be $300 to finish buying the Genie.Yeah owing the receivers/dvr's is expensive, but I prefer the old way of things. All you had to remember price wise is to own the box, you add $300 on with the "up front fee" which in the case of a Genie is also $300 something I saw on Solid Signal. So that tells you in the case of the new Genie, it would cost you $600 to actually own it.

why do you want to own it though? Unless you activate and deactivate it often it doesn't make any sense to own it that I know of.

#11 OFFLINE   sunfire9us

sunfire9us

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 371 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 04:14 PM

I hope your understanding of this is correct. If you're correct, my upgrade would be way cheaper than expected (:

#12 OFFLINE   sunfire9us

sunfire9us

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 371 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 04:16 PM

[quote name="inkahauts" post="3183772" timestamp="1379456040"]why do you want to own it though? Unless you activate and deactivate it often it doesn't make any sense to own it that I know of.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app[/quote

As I said previously, I prefer the old way of things plus when you own your equipment, you're not stuck in commitments

#13 OFFLINE   LiQiCE

LiQiCE

Mentor

• Registered
  • 232 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 04:27 PM

I hope your understanding of this is correct. If you're correct, my upgrade would be way cheaper than expected (:

I have no idea what the "cost to own" would be - but that is the cost of a non-returned leased receiver, so if thats what they charged you for in the past - it is possible thats what they would charge you now! :)

I would be very interested to hear if this is successful for you - if it is, it would be a nice option for me in the future instead of buying used receivers that are already owned -- I waited a long time to buy an HR44 wanting an owned one.

inkahauts - I would argue that having owned receivers carries the advantage that you are not under contract - so you have better negotiating power when trying to get discounts from DTV and if you do need to cancel you don't have an ETF to worry about and you can recoup some cost by reselling your owned receiver.  Plus like you said you have the flexibility to deactivate / reactivate receivers if you need to.

Edited by LiQiCE, 17 September 2013 - 04:28 PM.

#14 OFFLINE   sunfire9us

sunfire9us

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 371 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 04:53 PM

I have no idea what the "cost to own" would be - but that is the cost of a non-returned leased receiver, so if thats what they charged you for in the past - it is possible thats what they would charge you now! :)

I would be very interested to hear if this is successful for you - if it is, it would be a nice option for me in the future instead of buying used receivers that are already owned -- I waited a long time to buy an HR44 wanting an owned one.

inkahauts - I would argue that having owned receivers carries the advantage that you are not under contract - so you have better negotiating power when trying to get discounts from DTV and if you do need to cancel you don't have an ETF to worry about and you can recoup some cost by reselling your owned receiver. Plus like you said you have the flexibility to deactivate / reactivate receivers if you need to.

That is why owing a box is very expensive.... like you said, you get out of commitments. Just think of a new iPhone. You can buy a iPhone 5 now for around $200 BUT you're stuck in a contract yet when you pay the full price like we have been chatting about, then you're not stuck in those 2 yr contracts.

#15 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,366 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 04:56 PM

Unless you can negotiate far less costs than what you spent to buy it you lose. So unless you can get an extra 300 on top of any incentives you'd get anyway you are losing money. That is tuff to do over the course of just two years. Not sure I've ever seen anyone get that much on too if what they could get anyway. Just because you are under contract doesn't mean you can't get discounts already anyway. I have. Also the cost to own it is higher than the eft if you cancel your contract early. So it really isn't logical to say its better to spend an extra 300 to not be in a commitment in order to negotiate a better deal after a year of discounts because it just doesn't add up monetarily. It actually makes more sense to cancel and pay the eft after a year or even less if you fail to get more discounts you want than it does to pay at least 300 to own a unit. Probably more. Lease it and you may get a free one and programming discounts that can save a lot more money that way. Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

#16 OFFLINE   LiQiCE

LiQiCE

Mentor

• Registered
  • 232 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:00 PM

To each his own I guess - if I had gotten it from Directv they would force you to take 2 Genie Mini Clients and wanted $99 and I have no guarantee of an HR44.  So lets assume I buy it from Solid Signal or WeaKnees then I'd pay ~$299 for it and I guarantee an HR44.  I'm paying $200 more for it to get it owned ($500).  The ETF fee is $480 (minus $20 for each month you're a subscriber) so I need to keep DTV for at least 14 months before I break even.  But - if I need to cancel with an owned receiver, I have no ETF fee and I can sell the HR44.  If I sell it for more than $200 - I'm now ahead again.

I see both sides of it - but I just prefer the owned route.

#17 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,366 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 10:44 PM

To each his own I guess - if I had gotten it from Directv they would force you to take 2 Genie Mini Clients and wanted $99 and I have no guarantee of an HR44. So lets assume I buy it from Solid Signal or WeaKnees then I'd pay ~$299 for it and I guarantee an HR44. I'm paying $200 more for it to get it owned ($500). The ETF fee is $480 (minus $20 for each month you're a subscriber) so I need to keep DTV for at least 14 months before I break even. But - if I need to cancel with an owned receiver, I have no ETF fee and I can sell the HR44. If I sell it for more than $200 - I'm now ahead again.

I see both sides of it - but I just prefer the owned route.

I see both sides too but...... But i have a different view, because it seems your betting to save some money, and I'm having a hard time seeing it. Here's why...

When you buy one you are really betting it will net you well over $500 more in discounts over 2 years at least by owning it and simply not being in a contract. I just haven't experienced where that much money is decided by where you are in a contract.

Also

They will never make you take genie minis. If they wanted to charge you $99 then you probably have gotten a lot of discounts or need to try again, because I see very few people not getting it for free anymore, and most with additional discounts too. Even if you can get a discount to offset the purchase, you are spending more because you likely could get those same discounts without actually purchasing the unit, or close to it.

So lets look at a few scenarios...

...... first you keep the service for two years....
free vs $500
You just wasted $500 because you thought you might cancel and might be able to come out ahead. That's all there is to it.

....... Second, you cancel after one year.......
Free plus $240 vs $500 (plus shipping and handling) and you might sell it for maybe $250 ~$300 so you might break even or make $50. (The owned price of these will drop a lot within a year for resale because the prices of the genies to lease has already dropped dramatically as it is since they are all almost free now.)

So you'd have to cancel service in under a year and actually sell your unit to truly come out ahead. The longer you keep the service the more and more you spent for the box if you bought it.

But here's the big catch.

What if something goes wrong? They will replace it whether you own it or not for $20 shipping and handling, but it will be a leased unit after the swap! So you just lost your upfront cost and flexibility. The only way around that is if you have the protection plan. And you sign for that for one year if you do a swap, so unless you actually spend an additional $96 over the course of a given year (or two if you want to always be prepared meaning you'd be spending an extra $192) so you could keep the owned status of your unit, you risk losing the upfront money well. So now to break even, you'd have to cancel at six months after you got it, and you are betting against the unit failing, (granted a good bet, but still a bet none the less) and that you won't be able to get any programing discounts at all simply because you leased the unit instead of bought it.

Generally speaking leasing is not a good financial investment IMHO, cars a perfect example of that. But for DIRECTV receivers, lease is the better way to come out ahead financially most the time. The only reasons to own is if you activate and deactivate it often. (A second unit in a little used room)

And I just don't get the concept of betting that having a leased unit is going to keep you from getting discounts you'd get if you where not under contract. That hasn't been my experience at all, its all been in the attitude and csr you get in touch with and how you approach it.

And at the end of the day, when did you last change services?

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

#18 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,115 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 18 September 2013 - 04:28 AM

He bought it off Kevinturcotte. I only know of two that have been bought like that, so it's a rare opportunity.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

#19 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,888 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:51 AM

why do you want to own it though? Unless you activate and deactivate it often it doesn't make any sense to own it that I know of.

The only reason I see for owning an HR (any model) is the ability to put a larger HDD internally.  Other than that, I don't see any advantage to owning one.  I do own 10 of them, all with 2TB drives internally. 

I think owning a Genie just to put a large HDD into it would be foolish, at least for me.  I know I'd get an HDD larger than 2TBs and lose a lot of programming when the Genie fails, which it eventually will.  Them, I'd rather lease.

Rich 

#20 OFFLINE   LiQiCE

LiQiCE

Mentor

• Registered
  • 232 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 10:45 AM

inkahauts - I hear you, but you're still assuming you're getting a Genie for free from Directv and that it is an HR44.  If I want to guarantee a HR44, I was told to buy it from SolidSignal or WeaKnees and I would have paid $300 for it.  Your calculations all assume a free Genie from Directv and assume you're getting an HR44 even though a lot of folks have been reporting getting HR34s.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...