Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

SWM8 Installation question

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bajafish

bajafish

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 01:18 PM

Hello,

Will be doing an SWM8 installation soon on an existing system. I have a Slim Line dish, R15, HR22, HR24 boxes. I will hookup the R15 box to the Legacy conections of the SWM8. Will have a SWS8 splitter conected to the SWM8..... My question is, I already have two good quality solid core RG6 lines going to the HR22 & HR24 boxes. Can I just connect those two lines per box to the SWS8 splitter, rather than use one RG6 line to the boxes and put a two way splitter at the box?

Second question:  In a year or two I would like to replace my old dish with a SWM 5 LNB. I understand there is one line coming from that dish, which connection on the SWM8 would that go to?

Thanks for your help!  Have read some other questions and answers, great info.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,398 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 17 September 2013 - 01:31 PM

With SWM you only have one coax to the HR22 and one coax to the HR24, not two to each like you currently have. Each connection would be fed from the splitter. You would be able to use a 4 way or 2 way splitter instead of the 8 way SWS8, but unless you have fairly long runs from that splitter to the TVs (well over 100 feet) then it really doesn't matter.

If you later update to a SWM LNB then your SWM8 is useless to you, the dish connects directly to the SWS8 splitter and your SWM8 cannot be used. Your R15 will also no longer work since it does not support SWM and the SWM LNB offers no way to provide a legacy port.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#3 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,724 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 17 September 2013 - 01:36 PM

The SWM 8 requires a 4 line LNB so your dish swap would negate the 8.

As to your other questions, the beauty of the SWM is that your HD DVR/Receivers only requires a SINGLE LINE now. Your second coax runs become backup lines. Also a SWS4 would give you a bit of a signal boost to your units. The 8 will add additional loss you do not really need (though may not miss). Heck with 2 DVRs and the R15 on legacy an SWS2 would do you just fine.

Don "SWM rocks" Bolton

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doing in a rustic setting like this?

#4 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,113 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 17 September 2013 - 01:37 PM

Also, there is really no reason to switch to the SWM LNB.  In new installations it is nice as you only need one wire from the dish but as you already have 4 why change? It does not do anything a SWM8 does not, and as stated (legacy support) it actually does less.

My Setup

#5 OFFLINE   bajafish

bajafish

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 10:35 PM

WOW ..Thanks everyone for the good info. This helps alot!!

#6 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,457 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 18 September 2013 - 12:47 PM

When I went from Legacy to a SWM-16, I already had Ethernet going to each of my TV's.  I took advantage of the extra coax that was already going to my guest bedroom to install a wired CCK and get the Internet onto my SWM system.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...