Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

2013-14 Season Broadcast Ratings - Fall

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,414 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 01 October 2013 - 12:31 PM

Sunday is always difficult because of the variables NFL games throughout time zones which affect CBS, Fox and NBC. So I have to wait for the Sunday ratings final results which usually aren't available until Tuesday morning. Here's how I interpret the numbers for this past premier Sunday:

13-09-29_ratings.jpg

13-09-29_avgs.jpg

NBC controls Sunday night with NFL football. The results do vary from year-to-year depending on which teams are playing .This year the Patriots/Falcons game scored 7.6/20 - 20.49. Least year's Eagle/Giants game pulled 9.0/23 - 22.76. Two years ago the Steelers/Colts pulled 8.3/21 - 20.36.

CBS came in a distant #2 in total viewers in every half hour. With that said, over three years CBS has seen a drop in total viewers in every hour. Last year "60 Minutes" scored 1.7/5 - 11.52,  "Amazing Race" 2.5/6 - 9.40, "Good Wife" 1.8/4 - 9.93, "Mentalist" 2.1/5 - 11.06. Two years ago "60 Minutes" scored 2.3/6 - 12.270, "Amazing Race" 3.0/7 - 10.18, "Good Wife" 2.2/5 - 10.66, "CSI: Miami" 2.3/6 - 9.89.

Fox came in a distant #2 in the 18-49 demo in the 7-10 race seeing a drop in their animated lineup. Ignoring football, last year "Simpsons" scored 3.8/10 - 8.08, "Bob's Burgers" 2.6/6 - 5.46, "Family Guy" 3.3/8 - 6.55, "American Dad" 2.5/6 - 6.55. Two years ago "Simpsons" scored 3.9/10 - 8.08, "Cleveland Show" 3.1/7 - 6.13, "Family Guy" 4.1/9-7.69, "American Dad" 3.0/7 - 5.83.

ABC. The Disney suits have every reason to be worried. Their "Sunday at the Soaps" night can't seem to catch a win to brag about. And last year "OUAT" scored 3.9/10 - 11.36 which means this year's 2.6/7 - 8.52 is a 34% drop in the demo. "Revenge" last year scored 3.2/8 - 9.74 which means a 28% drop in the demo. "Betrayal" is DOA.  "666 Park Avenue" last year scored 2.1/5 -6.90. In that 10 pm slot two years ago "Pan Am" scored 3.1/8 - 11.06.

Again, I have to emphasize how difficult it is to derive any opinions about the Sunday night ratings. Next week, the NBC football game is scheduled to run on the East Coast  8:20 - 11:30 and on the West Coast 5:20 to 8:30. What that means is the 9:00 to 11:00 shows have very different ratings on the West Coast than on the East Coast. And it does matter which teams are playing as the ratings very each week from DMA to DMA depending on whether DMA's home team is televised.

Edited by phrelin, 01 October 2013 - 12:33 PM.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,414 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 01:53 PM

Here's Monday with the addition of new episode averages to date:

13-09-30_ratings.jpg

13-09-30_avgs.jpg

NBC continues to control Monday night though even "The Voice" ratings reflected the drop in viewers overall from last week. Nonetheless the Peacock Network gained in its percentage share of total viewers for the night.

ABC continues as #2 in total viewers.

Fox continues as #2 in the demo from 8-10 pm with "Bones" actually seeing a gain in the demo over last week even though the other nets saw a drop during the 8 pm hour.

CBS week-to-week in the 8-10 contest saw a 20% drop in its demo rating and a 17% drop in its 50+ rating. "Hostages" had a DOA rating last week (at least in terms of most shows on CBS historically) saw a significant drop in its ratings. Whether this show, which supposedly is a 15 episode mini-series, will be moved to Saturday to be burned off is the question. CEO Les Moonves must be pacing the floor in the CBS executive suite as he has to know that other than scheduling a bunch of really cheap shows on Monday, there is no simple way to gain in the 8-10 race. Remember that in 2010 CBS ratings were:

How I Met Your Mother:  3.6/10 - 8.73
Accidentally on Purpose: 3.1/8 - 8.07
Two and a Half Men:  4.7/11 - 13.64
The Big Bang Theory:  5.1/12 - 13.02
CSI: Miami:  4.1/11 - 13.46

The CW will premier its season next week.

Edited by phrelin, 01 October 2013 - 01:56 PM.

A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup

#23 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,414 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 12:14 PM

Here's Tuesday:

13-10-01_ratings.jpg

13-10-01_avgs.jpg

CBS won the bragging rights to #1 in total viewers in every half hour. The question is do 4.4 million (63%) more 50+ viewers offset NBC's 1.1 million (32%) more demo viewers in economic terms? In other words does 4.4 million equal or exceed 1.1 million in economic value in the advertising world?

NBC was the demo winner for the night. Next week NBC will premier in the 8 pm slot the new season of "The Biggest Loser" reducing the second night of "The Voice" to one hour. It's likely the Peacock will lose a feather or two in that hour.

However, "Chicago Fire" has been "discovered" or "rediscovered" by demo and 50+ viewers. The show is currently delivering series record ratings, beat results for its second episode of last season by 87% in 18-49 rating (2.8 vs. 1.5 on Wednesday, Oct. 17, 2012) and by 54% in total viewers (9.00 million vs. 5.85 million). The 2.8 rating is NBC’s top 18-49 result in this time period with in-season regular programming since May 24, 2011 (“The Voice”). Along with "The Blacklist" on Monday night, this indicates NBC has successfully recovered from what appeared to be a fatal downslide by providing both shows with a solid lead-in, "The Voice." It is clear the lead-in only gives a show a chance as it doesn't guarantee the show can retain the viewers - think "Smash". It looks good for NBC, but we'll see how it goes over time.

ABC. The second episode of "Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." lost 33% in the demo and 27% in the 50+ crowd from its premier last week losing a total of 3.5 million viewers. Since the 8 pm time slot total viewers was down 4.33 million viewers, it means most of that "SHIELD" loss were viewers who left the couch to do something else. Whether they'll keep leaving is the big question in the ABC executive offices as last night's ratings were still pretty good albeit below "NCIS". The problem for ABC is that loss-of-viewers trend continued through the 9 pm comedy hour. And the body of "Lucky 7" which was DOA last week is starting to smell. The network needs to move it to the morgue.

Fox's comedy lineup averaged 8% of total viewers and the only show that had a chance, "New Girl", scored the demo-oriented network high for the night with an unacceptable 1.9/5.

Edited by phrelin, 02 October 2013 - 12:18 PM.

My AV Setup

#24 OFFLINE   renbutler

renbutler

Godfather

• Registered
  • 504 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 12:31 PM

Fox's comedy lineup averaged 8% of total viewers and the only show that had a chance, "New Girl", scored the demo-oriented network high for the night with an unacceptable 1.9/5.

Unfortunately, she's all by herself in that dreadful lineup. I think the show will survive for two reasons: a fourth season is required for syndication, and I'm sure that FOX understands the dreck surrounding the show is dragging it down.

#25 OFFLINE   renbutler

renbutler

Godfather

• Registered
  • 504 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 12:34 PM

Also, New Girl scored a 1.9 once last year, and it's really not far off the consistent 2.0-2.2 for each of the last six episodes last year.

#26 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,414 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 12:46 PM

Unfortunately, she's all by herself in that dreadful lineup. I think the show will survive for two reasons: a fourth season is required for syndication, and I'm sure that FOX understands the dreck surrounding the show is dragging it down.

Also, New Girl scored a 1.9 once last year, and it's really not far off the consistent 2.0-2.2 for each of the last six episodes last year.

I agree that the show is being killed by scheduling. The problem is where to put it. Truthfully, It seems like it and a decent comedy could successfully garner Fox some ratings on Friday if they'd quit thinking of Friday as a place to put dying shows.Or in November they could try "Almost Human" at 8 pm Tuesday to give "New Girl" a lead-in and leave "Bones" on Monday rather move to Friday.

My AV Setup

#27 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,414 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 12:10 PM

Here's Wednesday:

13-10-02_ratings.jpg

13-10-02_avgs.jpg

CBS won every half hour in total viewers which means they've got the 50+ crowd. They also won the demo in 8-9pm half hours and the 10-11 pm half hours.

ABC, as usual, with "Modern Family" won the 9-9:30 half hour in the demo but saw a drop in 50+ viewers from last week's premier which dropped it to #2 in total viewers. Last year we had the Presidential Debates on the comparable night, but two years ago the show pulled 5.6/14 - 13.24. The premier of "Super Fun Night" benefited from the "Modern Family" lead-in. But based on previous years, it will have to earn its keep on its own after the premier. The rest of the ABC lineup saw ratings drops from last week indicating the shows are not live+same day viewer magnets.

Fox's "X-Factor" two years ago pulled 4.3/11 - 12.29 compared to this year's 2.4/7 - 7.76, but last night the show held a solid #3 in the demo and 50+ groups.

NBC. The lineup of "Revolution", "L&O: SVU" and the premier of "IronsIde" kept the Peacock well above The CW's reruns for the night. That's pathetic, of course. But "Revolution" was sagging last May even on Mondays with "The Voice" lead-in as it pulled 1.9/5 - 6.48 the week before its finale against no regular season show on the other networks. The venerable "L&O: SVU" continues to be an "adequate placeholder."

Which brings the discussion to the premier of "Ironside". Despite some advertising push and Blair Underwood, plus the possible appeal to old folks who remember the original, NBC failed to attract a strong audience for the show. It did pull more 50+ viewers in the 10:00 pm half hour than "SVU" had in the 9:30 pm half hour. But by 10:30 pm it lost almost 1 million 50+ viewers who probably wanted to see the ghost of Raymond Burr.

Edited by phrelin, 03 October 2013 - 12:12 PM.

My AV Setup

#28 OFFLINE   renbutler

renbutler

Godfather

• Registered
  • 504 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 01:54 PM

Too bad about Revolution, because it's become a more complex and challenging show so far in the second season. I thought I might be alone in thinking this, but I've also seen reviews that indicate I'm not.

I can't believe it's on at 8:00 with all of its graphic violence.

#29 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,414 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 12:47 PM

Too bad about Revolution, because it's become a more complex and challenging show so far in the second season. I thought I might be alone in thinking this, but I've also seen reviews that indicate I'm not.

I can't believe it's on at 8:00 with all of its graphic violence.

I agree with both your points. The second season has become more complex and placing it at 8 pm is a mistake. Perhaps they'll move it to 10 pm to replace "Ironside" as it might grow an audience there.

Here's Thursday:

13-10-03_ratings.jpg

13-10-03_avgs.jpg

CBS won the night overall but in the demo only because of "Big Bang Theory" and the premier of "The Millers" both of which won its half hour in the demo and 50+ crowd. "The Crazy Ones" and "Two and a Half Men" won the 50+ crowd but came in #2 in the demo and "Elementary" was #2 in the both age groups.

ABC's "Grey's Anatomy" and "Scandal" won the demo in their hours but will not premier its 8 pm entry until next week.

Fox had a solid #2 in the 8 pm hour with "The X Factor" but it appears "Glee" has a problem.

NBC tied The CW in the demo in the 8 pm hour. In terms of reputation, Thursday night's comedy ratings are worse than NBC ratings from three years ago and it's hard to imagine they'll see a ratings rise this year. "Parenthood" is performing better than "The Apprentice" did three years ago.

The CW. "The Vampire Diaries" last year premiered at 1.6/5 - 3.48 compared to this year's 1.2/4 - 2.55. The show's 2012-13 season finale scored 1.0/3 - 2.20 against the season finale of "American Idol" as well as the season finale of "Big Bang Theory", both of which score well with the demo. It's not unusual for the show to get a 30%+ jump when the live+7 ratings are in and the network's 16-29 female target demo do stream shows. But the network decided to premier "The Originals" instead of at Tuesday 8 pm next week. That decision may not have helped the show.

My AV Setup

#30 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,414 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 11:33 AM

The ratings shakeout has started. While "The Blacklist" received a full season order from NBC, "Lucky 7" got the ax from ABC.

Here's Friday:

13-10-04_ratings.jpg

13-10-04_avgs.jpg

CBS won every half hour in the 50+ crowd giving it bragging rights to total viewers. "Undercover Boss" won the 8:30 half hour in the demo, otherwise the Eye's shows were #2. Last year "Blue Bloods" pulled 1.2/4 - 9.59 in its second week so this year's 1.4/5 - 11.09 represents growth.

ABC won the demo in every half hour but at 8:30 when "The Neighbors" dropped to #3. Unfortunately, what I think is a very clever comedy likely is in its last season and will be limited to 10-13 episodes.

NBC will air its fall lineup October 25.

Fox's "Junior Masterchef" ran #3 in a three-way new episode contest with ABC and CBS.

The CW's current plan is to start the season of "The Carrie Diaries" on October 25.

My AV Setup

#31 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,414 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 03:50 PM

Here's Sunday, for what it's worth:

13-10-06_ratings.jpg

13-10-06_avgs.jpg

There's not a lot one can say about this past Monday as NBC won with NFL football and CBS has it's ratings fouled up with a  NFL football overrun in the Eastern time zone. As noted last week these are final ratings indicating shows in the regularly scheduled time slots even though in parts of the country the CBS shows ran quite late.

Here's Monday:

13-10-07_ratings.jpg

13-10-07_avgs.jpg

Overall in three weeks there has been a general slide in demo viewership (-10% at 8-10 pm and -15% 8-11 pm).

CBS. The downward demo trend impact has most affected CBS and least affected NBC. The 50+ viewership has been reasonably stable which, given each network's normal appeal, should have benefited CBS. But the CBS Monday lineup fails to appeal to the 50+ viewers, leaving it in last place among the older folks (ignoring The CW) and last in the demo except for "HIMYM" at 8 pm which ran #2. The question for CBS suits is does this Monday problem represent a problem in programming that could extend into other nights in the next few years? It must be noted that "2 Broke Girls" ran #4 in the demo during the 9 pm half hour with its 2.2/6 - 7.18, compared to last year's 3.7/9 - 10.12 and two years ago  4.4/11 - 11.37. That's a 50% drop in the demo and a 25% drop in the 50+ crowd. Of course, sitcoms can be easily replaced, but It will be interesting to see what they do with "Hostages" in the short term.

NBC. The Sunday-Monday wins for the Peacock really don't mean as much for the future as they might like. They can't schedule NFL games every night and they know from experience that reality competition show big winners like "The Voice" tend to be the result of an accidental combination of ideas and personalities that appeal. Nonetheless, the situation has permitted "The Blacklist" to hold a large audience. Truthfully, being among the older audience I don't understand why "Castle" is still ahead of "The Blacklist" in the 50+.

ABC continues to do well with the 50+ viewers on Monday night. That gives them bragging rights as #2 in total viewers for the night for whatever that's worth.

Fox. "Bones" did tie for #2 in the demo in the 8:30 half hour which may be all Fox can hope for during the 8 pm hour. "Sleepy Hollow" was also #2 in the demo.

The CW premiered new seasons of "Hart of Dixie" and "Beauty & the Beast". Both shows premiered with higher ratings than "90210" and "Gossip Girl" did last year, but were down from their premiers on other nights last year. I would guess they lose a lot of their target 16-25 female demo audience to "The Voice" but one has to assume there's going to continue to be a loss of live audience to on-demand streaming which the network encourages. They also sell music and trinkets on their web site, so their goals are different from others.

Finally, we should be aware of the fact that Univision consistently scores well enough to be the #5 broadcast network and in the 18-34 demo they are frequently #3 or #4 in the 18-49 demo when their viewers are factored into the totals. We'll see more about this in the future.

Edited by phrelin, 08 October 2013 - 03:51 PM.

My AV Setup

#32 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,414 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 12:47 PM

Here's Tuesday:

13-10-08_ratings.jpg

13-10-08_avgs.jpg

Ratings are about money. Each viewer is worth advertising money. Over the past three weeks the number of viewers on Tuesday night has declined. Those watching the five networks between 8-10 pm declined 11%, 15% in the demo, 10% in the 50+ crowd. Those watching the three networks between 8-11 pm declined 26%, 31% in the demo, 23% in the 50+ crowd. There are a lot of ways to view the numbers, but the decline from premier night is meaningful.

There is another way to view the numbers, however. In 1960 the highest rated show "Gunsmoke" pulled an average 17.6 million viewers while "NCIS" last night garnered 17.9 million viewers. Yes, "Gunsmoke" viewership represented 37% of TV households while "NCIS" viewership represents less than half the number of TV households today. Sometimes, one has to wonder if in relative value one 1960 viewer was worth more to advertisers than one 2013 viewer.

Anyway...

CBS is the network that in recent years has been the most effective at getting and keeping viewers in a consistent manner. Tuesday night in particular has been the Eye network's to lose. Here's how CBS Tuesday ratings have looked in comparable weeks over the past three years:

13-10-08_cbs.jpg

*"Person of Interest" ran on Thursday at 9 pm in prior years but in

2012 the Vice-Presidential Debate preempted the normal schedule.

The fact is that "NCIS" has lost significant numbers of 18-49 demo viewers, ostensibly to "The Voice", but probably to a change in how the demo interacts with entertainment options. It will be interesting to see what happens when NBC airs its regularly scheduled 8 pm show "The Biggest Loser" next week. But it's worth noting that they have plans to move "The Voice" second night to the 8 pm slot in the Winter schedule.

"Person of Interest" which last May was pulling numbers like  2.4/7 - 12.76 on Thursday at 9 pm was moved to 10 pm Tuesday with the full knowledge that the move in time slot on weeknights from 9 pm to 10 pm guarantees a loss in the younger 18-34 viewers. What CBS may not have anticipated is that "The Voice" was going to carry the 18-49 demo viewers into "Chicago Fire" which is an appealing show to the demo. Primary "Chicago Fire" cast members include Jesse Spencer, 34, Taylor Kinney, 32, Monica Raymund, 27, Lauren German, 35. and Charlie Barnett, 24.

"Person of Interest" offers cast members Michael Emerson, 59, Kevin Chapman, 51, Jim Caviezel, 45, and Taraji P. Henson, 43. Yes, they've added Sarah Shahi, 33, as a regular. But that's not going to hold the demo as 49-year-olds age out and 17-year-olds age in.

It is a complex issue as it does appear that in live+same day viewers the 50+ group watch different TV than the 18-34 group, and the latter are watching far less live TV than in the past. What moves CBS makes will be interesting.

NBC clearly won the night among the demo viewers. However, they are only getting 60% of the 50+ viewers that CBS gets. How that affects revenue is not clear to me.

ABC is a solid #3 and the rerun of "Scandal" outperformed last week's "Lucky 7" which was canceled, a financially winning move.

Fox, in terms of its prized 18-49 demo, appears to have a lock on #4 except at 9:30 where The CW's "Supernatural" pulled a threatening 1.2/3 compared to "The Mindy' Project" 1.4/4.

The CW premiered "Supernatural" to solid ratings, the highest since 2010.

Edited by phrelin, 09 October 2013 - 12:53 PM.

My AV Setup

#33 OFFLINE   Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 508 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 03:01 AM

I read that We are Men has been cancelled.

http://insidetv.ew.c...e-men-canceled/

The second show to die early.  I have herd rumors that Hostages and Revenge won't be too far behind.

Luke

Sagaciously eschew obfuscating sesquipedalianisms.

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.--from Joan of Arcadia

#34 OFFLINE   Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 508 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 03:02 AM

The second show to die early.  I have herd rumors that Hostages and Revenge won't be too far behind.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.--from Joan of Arcadia

#35 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,414 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 10:49 AM

Yep. CBS is bringing "Mike & Molly" back in November while shuffling "2 Broke Girls" to 8:30 next Monday. I don't think that's going to help them much, but who knows? They don't have any momentum to replace "Hostages" and if they move something like "The Mentalist" there it will simply kill that show IMHO.

Here's Wednesday:

13-10-09_ratings.jpg

13-10-09_avgs.jpg

CBS won every half hour in the demo and total viewers except at 9:00 pm when ABC's "Modern Family" won the demo.

ABC. As was the case for Monday and Tuesday, there continues to be a dropoff in total demo viewers. Unfortunate for ABC, that drop has been reflected in its ratings. The names of the shows "Back in the Game" and "Super Fun Night" apparently do not reflect what the viewers think.

Fox has problems with "X-Factor".

NBC. Apparently "Revolution" has found it's viewers and they do exceed The CW's "Arrow."  "L&O:SVU" probably achieved the same goal last night. "Ironside" will have to be canceled.

The CW. "Arrow" premiered at the same level as last season's finale which meant it didn't give a solid lead-in to "The Tomorrow People." Whether these shows will do well in the twitterverse giving decent streaming numbers will remain to be seen, but not by us here.

Edited by phrelin, 10 October 2013 - 10:51 AM.

My AV Setup

#36 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,414 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 11:46 PM

Here's Thursday:

13-10-10_ratings.jpg

13-10-10_avgs.jpg

CBS actually has bragging rights for the night because of the "Big Bang Theory" ratings even though the Eye only won the demo in the 8:00 and 8:30 half hours. They clearly have a lock on the 50+ viewers.

Fox claimed #2 in the demo 8-10 pm race with "X-Factor" and with "Gee" edging out "Grey's Anatomy".

ABC created "Once Upon a Time in Wonderland" in its effort to find something for the Thursday 8 pm slot that might attract viewers. It was only having the good fortune that NBC wants to set records as the worst network ever that they came in #3 at 8 pm. "Grey’s Anatomy" came in #2 in the demo and "Scandal" #1.

NBC. This headline summed up the night for NBC: NBC Ties All-Time Thursday Low, Finishes Seventh In Primetime Last Night as the Peacock worked for retrans fees last night. The article notes: "NBC finished as No. 7(!) in primetime last night behind CBS, the NFL Network, ABC, Fox, Univision and TBS." If it hadn't been for "Parenthood" they might as well have run an old Bob Hope movie. And they are killing "Parenthood" in that Thursday time slot. But hey, "Parenthood" which is a pretty great drama has had at least two series finale shows, or was it three? I wonder if they would consider moving Leno.... :sure:

The CW is The CW, what else can I say?

My AV Setup

#37 OFFLINE   renbutler

renbutler

Godfather

• Registered
  • 504 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 12:47 PM

NBC. This headline summed up the night for NBC: NBC Ties All-Time Thursday Low, Finishes Seventh In Primetime Last Night as the Peacock worked for retrans fees last night. The article notes: "NBC finished as No. 7(!) in primetime last night behind CBS, the NFL Network, ABC, Fox, Univision and TBS." If it hadn't been for "Parenthood" they might as well have run an old Bob Hope movie. And they are killing "Parenthood" in that Thursday time slot. But hey, "Parenthood" which is a pretty great drama has had at least two series finale shows, or was it three? I wonder if they would consider moving Leno.... :sure:

Even as a fan of Parenthood, I'd say that the move to Thursday is only part of the problem. I really think the show jumped the shark last year. I know my wife and I aren't nearly as enthusiastic about it as we used to be. Perhaps we're not the only ones.

#38 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,414 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 01:01 PM

Here's Friday:

13-10-11_ratings.jpg

13-10-11_avgs.jpg

CBS last night won ratings bragging rights for whatever that's worth. They again had the 50+ crowd in every half hour. They also won the demo in the 8:30, 10:00, and 10:30 half hours.

Fox's "Junior Masterchef" won the demo in the 8:00 half hour.

ABC's "Shark Tank" won the demo in the 9:00 and 9:30 half hours.

NBC was supposed to start its regular Friday schedule on October 25. However, I wonder if they want to use "Grimm" and "Dracula" elsewhere in their schedule, like maybe Thursday?

The CW aired content last night. :sure:

My AV Setup

#39 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,414 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 01:20 PM

Even as a fan of Parenthood, I'd say that the move to Thursday is only part of the problem. I really think the show jumped the shark last year. I know my wife and I aren't nearly as enthusiastic about it as we used to be. Perhaps we're not the only ones.

"Parenthood" last winter on Tuesday night was getting ratings like 1.8/5 - 4.87 which weren't super when CBS and ABC were offering weak shows ("Vegas" and "Private Practice"). "Parenthood" was, however, getting a big boost in the demo from live+7 DVR use.

But yes, the show has struggled a bit to rebuild its story arcs each season after they essentially ended the prior season with a perfect series finale. By the end of last seasons we were satisfied with the stories. This season we're struggling quit a bit with one of the story lines. But it's tough to find a better ensemble cast on TV today IMHO.

My AV Setup

#40 OFFLINE   Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 508 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 10:15 PM

If it weren't for The Voice and football, NBC would have nothing at all to speak of.  There must be a lot of hand wringing going on in the boardroom over there.  These two products are doing very well, but they aren't the whole schedule by a long ways.  At the end of the football season, they will be really hurting.  I see many dominos falling in their schedule.

Luke

Protected By... spam firewall...And...