Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Sleepy Hollow

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,366 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 01:38 PM

OK, I enjoyed this; it was fun. The cast is great, the dialog is very "Wheedon-like", which is a good thing. The two leads won me over very quickly. But the concept is preposterous, and will probably collapse under its own weight at some point; I am not sure how the writers can be inventive enough 22 times a season for multiple seasons to even make it to season 2 under these corners that they have already painted themselves into. Here's hoping they overcome any fears I might have. There were a lot of WTF? moments, but I just saw the entire series Under the Dome so I am getting used to that. Still fun. My only regret <minor spoiler alert> is that two wonderful and accomplished actors who appeared in this pilot will apparently not be around for the rest of the series. Ironically, two we have never before heard of, will. FOX needs a hit; I'm rooting for this one.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 02:35 PM

I enjoy the opener and hope the writers can work out a credible line base on the premise. If anything else I sure I will enjoy the nitpicking a la "Under The Dome"

#3 OFFLINE   mrro82

mrro82

Legend

• Registered
  • 448 posts
  • LocationThumb web of the mitten :>)

Posted 17 September 2013 - 03:27 PM

I was OK until I saw the headless horseman with a shotgun and M16. I didn't like that. Besides that I enjoyed it and am looking forward to what ahead (no pun intended :lol:)

Sent from the other side of the Milky Way with my S4.

#4 OFFLINE   toobs

toobs

Legend

• Registered
  • 308 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 03:33 PM

I still need to watch it, but I'm kinda hesitated on this one.  Fox does good slapstick humors, but when it comes to dramas, almost all of them fizzles out.  

#5 OFFLINE   juniormaj

juniormaj

Legend

• Registered
  • 393 posts
  • LocationNewbury Park, CA

Posted 17 September 2013 - 04:47 PM

I was OK until I saw the headless horseman with a shotgun and M16.

That was puzzling to me, too. Apparently he/it adapts quickly to technology.

-Jr.
DirecTV since 1994
My setup

#6 OFFLINE   mrro82

mrro82

Legend

• Registered
  • 448 posts
  • LocationThumb web of the mitten :>)

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:35 PM

It's curious since he's never seen them before. How could he load them let alone use them? A musket sure. M16 not so much. I hope this doesn't continue.

#7 OFFLINE   juniormaj

juniormaj

Legend

• Registered
  • 393 posts
  • LocationNewbury Park, CA

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:47 PM

It's curious since he's never seen them before. How could he load them let alone use them? A musket sure. M16 not so much. I hope this doesn't continue.

I'm trying to imagine a possible scenario where the horseman is more of an omnipresent evil force, or something, and doesn't have constraints of knowledge. (it's a stretch). Or maybe just quickly assumes present day evil.
Maybe it was just a glaring oversight by the writers.

-Jr.
DirecTV since 1994
My setup

#8 OFFLINE   gpg

gpg

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,672 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:47 PM

Hmmm. We've got a headless horseman running around trying to find his head. Before we worry about how he knows how to fire a modern weapon shouldn't we figure out how he knows where to aim any weapon at all?
HR24-200,HR23-700,HR21-200, HR21-100, HR34-700,
Sony KDS-R50XBR1,HDMI, LG 37LH40,HDMI Vizio 390-A1,HDMI,Sony KDL-40NX711, HDMI, Vizio VO320E, HDMI, SWM16 with DECA,
Sony STR-DG1000 AV Receiver optical cable connection for HR24-200, GenieGo

#9 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:58 PM

It looks like a gun. I don't thing he is going to point it at himself. The rest is easy.

#10 OFFLINE   gpg

gpg

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,672 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:49 PM

But he has no eyes.
HR24-200,HR23-700,HR21-200, HR21-100, HR34-700,
Sony KDS-R50XBR1,HDMI, LG 37LH40,HDMI Vizio 390-A1,HDMI,Sony KDL-40NX711, HDMI, Vizio VO320E, HDMI, SWM16 with DECA,
Sony STR-DG1000 AV Receiver optical cable connection for HR24-200, GenieGo

#11 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 09:24 PM

But he has no eyes.

Then Ichabod Crane has nothing to worry about if the headless horsemen can not see him.

#12 OFFLINE   balboadave

balboadave

Legend

• Registered
  • 186 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:56 AM

I was OK until I saw the headless horseman with a shotgun and M16. I didn't like that. Besides that I enjoyed it and am looking forward to what ahead (no pun intended :lol:)

I'm trying to imagine a possible scenario where the horseman is more of an omnipresent evil force, or something, and doesn't have constraints of knowledge. (it's a stretch). Or maybe just quickly assumes present day evil.
Maybe it was just a glaring oversight by the writers.

Hmmm. We've got a headless horseman running around trying to find his head. Before we worry about how he knows how to fire a modern weapon shouldn't we figure out how he knows where to aim any weapon at all?

But he has no eyes.

Then Ichabod Crane has nothing to worry about if the headless horsemen can not see him.

Are any of you even paying attention, or are all your eyes rolled back too far? He's one of the four horseman of the apocalypse, Death. Since when do supernatural beings need logic? 

#13 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Registered
  • 1,434 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 18 September 2013 - 07:46 AM

Are any of you even paying attention, or are all your eyes rolled back too far? He's one of the four horseman of the apocalypse, Death. Since when do supernatural beings need logic? 

Yeah, he is one of the four horsemen and that was what made this show for me. 

LG Cinema Screen 47LM7600
Pioneer VSX-1120
X1 unit and yes it's Comcastic
Comcast Triple Play

#14 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 07:52 AM

Yeah, he is one of the four horsemen and that was what made this show for me.

They had me at Sleepy Hallow.

#15 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,112 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:22 AM

I thought about checking this show out but then I decided I was making this one subject to my "must be renewed for season 2 rule". I'll catch up over next summer if it does.

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

#16 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,420 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:36 PM

It is terrible unbelievable. Taking the Sleepy Hollow horseman and making him one of the Four Horsemen from Revelation is the corruption of two great literary works into a pile of junk called a Hollywood script.

My money is on, it will be gone by Halloween.

Drew
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR:HR34-7, Dn:HR24-1, MB:HR24-5, Bm:HR21-2, Kt:H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV '00

#17 OFFLINE   balboadave

balboadave

Legend

• Registered
  • 186 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 10:31 PM

It is terrible unbelievable. Taking the Sleepy Hollow horseman and making him one of the Four Horsemen from Revelation is the corruption of two great literary works into a pile of junk called a Hollywood script.

My money is on, it will be gone by Halloween.

Speaking of people on their high horses.

#18 OFFLINE   cj9788

cj9788

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 11:36 PM

One of my favorite lines was said by Ichabod Crane when he bought a pastry. It was a long the lines of "A ten percent levy on baked goods? The revolution was started because of a levy of two percent" and another was when he fired his gun and the girl said why didn't you shoot again and he was bewildered at the fact the the gun could fire more than one shot. He has been asleep basically for what 250 years. There is going to be tons of material that can be written in  like the first time he sees an escalator or modern indoor plumbing. the telephone tv and movies. Computers. All things of unimaginable wonder to someone who has no idea what any of those things are. I really loved the Starbucks jab. There is a Starbucks on that corner and another on that corner. Is it a law that there be a Starbucks on every corner he asks. I really hope this show sticks around but it being on FOX makes me think this show will beheaded by mid season.....

#19 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,133 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 19 September 2013 - 05:51 PM

One of my favorite lines was said by Ichabod Crane when he bought a pastry. It was a long the lines of "A ten percent levy on baked goods? The revolution was started because of a levy of two percent" and another was when he fired his gun and the girl said why didn't you shoot again and he was bewildered at the fact the the gun could fire more than one shot. He has been asleep basically for what 250 years. There is going to be tons of material that can be written in  like the first time he sees an escalator or modern indoor plumbing. the telephone tv and movies. Computers. All things of unimaginable wonder to someone who has no idea what any of those things are. I really loved the Starbucks jab. There is a Starbucks on that corner and another on that corner. Is it a law that there be a Starbucks on every corner he asks. I really hope this show sticks around but it being on FOX makes me think this show will beheaded by mid season.....

To me the show has great potential for clever, sophistication, in its subtle comedy as well as placing the so-called Easter Eggs for fans to look for. But people will have to get beyond the need to suspend belief a bit. And yes, I'll take bets on when Fox will move it to Friday after "Bones" which is getting moved to Friday after baseball playoffs.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#20 OFFLINE   cj9788

cj9788

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 06:59 PM

To me the show has great potential for clever, sophistication, in its subtle comedy as well as placing the so-called Easter Eggs for fans to look for. But people will have to get beyond the need to suspend belief a bit. And yes, I'll take bets on when Fox will move it to Friday after "Bones" which is getting moved to Friday after baseball playoffs.

Uhg the Friday Night death spot. Some shows could carry a Friday night but those are few and fr between. I am angered that FOX has chosen to schedule Rasing Hope on Friday night. I am actually betting that either Dads or Brooklyn 99 ngets the ax soon and that FOX will put Raising Hope back on Tuesday night. I know it was never a ratings grabber and the only reason we are getting a fifth season is probably for the syndication of the show. I am foolish enough to think that it will get enough ratings points to eek out sixth season but I also want win the lotto as well.........

spam firewall