Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Sleepy Hollow

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#21 ONLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,963 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 07:21 PM

Uhg the Friday Night death spot. Some shows could carry a Friday night but those are few and fr between. I am angered that FOX has chosen to schedule Rasing Hope on Friday night. I am actually betting that either Dads or Brooklyn 99 ngets the ax soon and that FOX will put Raising Hope back on Tuesday night. I know it was never a ratings grabber and the only reason we are getting a fifth season is probably for the syndication of the show. I am foolish enough to think that it will get enough ratings points to eek out sixth season but I also want win the lotto as well.........

How old is the cute little girl? She should be going to school by now. I might start watching again.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   balboadave

balboadave

Legend

• Registered
  • 195 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 04:39 AM

John Noble (Fringe's Walter Bishop) has been signed as a recurring guest star. Looking forward to seeing him again.

• juniormaj likes this

#23 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 22 September 2013 - 08:56 AM

Joss lives!

VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#24 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,237 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 22 September 2013 - 12:52 PM

John Noble (Fringe's Walter Bishop) has been signed as a recurring guest star. Looking forward to seeing him again.

Well that definitely makes me a little more interested in this show! John Noble deserved to win every acting award available to him for his portrayal of Walter Bishop! Unfortunately Fringe was the wrong kind of show with marginal ratings to garner him much attention along those lines.

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

#25 OFFLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,031 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 11:01 AM

The horseman adapting to 21st century weapons was not as unbelievable as the police captain flip flopping by the end of a single episode on the word of a couple of cops witness report at night.

Yep, this would be best called a mini-series. It won't survive the year.

#26 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,541 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 23 September 2013 - 12:53 PM

With it's 3.5/9 - 10.10 ratings (final adjusted) I wouldn't write this show off ... yet. I never know what will survive.

In January 2013 "The Following" premiered with 3.2/8 - 10.42 ratings and is coming back.

In September 2012 "The Mob Doctor"  premiered to 1.5/4 - 5.11 ratings and clearly was DOA.

On the other hand January 2012 "Alcatraz" premiered with 3.3/8 -10.05 ratings and isn't coming back.

And in September 2011 "Terra Nova" premiered with 3.1/8 - 9.22 and became one of those really expensive, poorly managed efforts.

It depends entirely on how bad the impact will be with the "Where's Waldo" Fox-Sports-controlled scheduling system Fox uses to make up for the fact that their programming draws mediocre ratings because of the "Where's Waldo" scheduling system (except for "American Idol" which will either recover from its slow death spiral or not).

We know that they will premier the J.J. Abrams robots/cops scifi crime procedural "Almost Human" in the 8 pm slot on November 4 changing the lead-in. And the Fox schedule has "Sleepy Hollow" repeated each week on Friday at 9 pm.

"Sleepy Hollow" is a quirky scifi/fantasy that could work since it's not horrendously expensive.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#27 OFFLINE   Reaper

Reaper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 535 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 01:24 PM

I enjoyed the Sleepy Hollow premier episode much more than I thought I would. I liked to the two lead actors immensely. Good humor, fast-paced action. I'm in.

#28 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 23 September 2013 - 02:16 PM

[...]

"Sleepy Hollow" is a quirky scifi/fantasy that could work since it's not horrendously expensive.

That's probably why I'm liking it.   My mind just relaxes.  When it's funny, I laugh ... when it's not, I remind myself that it's just a scifi/fantasy that should not be taken seriously.

No muss, no fuss ... something like what Firefly was like - although the similarities are probably accidental.

VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#29 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,268 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 23 September 2013 - 02:29 PM

That's probably why I'm liking it. My mind just relaxes. When it's funny, I laugh ... when it's not, I remind myself that it's just a scifi/fantasy that should not be taken seriously.

No muss, no fuss ... something like what Firefly was like - although the similarities are probably accidental.

While I will keep watching it, I definitely don't think it is on the level of Firefly. I do like the concept, but there are some small quirks that are getting to me. The idea that the Sheriff drives around with a LT as his partner and then it seems like the Captain is from a whole different department. If not, the LT wouldn't have had to explain to him that she was the Sheriff's partner. So, if the Captain is from a different department, there is no real explanation as to how the two departments are working. It seems like the main character is a deputy with the Westchester County Sheriff's Office and the Captain is part of the Sleepy Hollow Police Department or is it the other way around?

I do think there will be some good lines in this show.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#30 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 23 September 2013 - 03:05 PM

While I will keep watching it, I definitely don't think it is on the level of Firefly. I do like the concept, but there are some small quirks that are getting to me. The idea that the Sheriff drives around with a LT as his partner and then it seems like the Captain is from a whole different department. If not, the LT wouldn't have had to explain to him that she was the Sheriff's partner. So, if the Captain is from a different department, there is no real explanation as to how the two departments are working. It seems like the main character is a deputy with the Westchester County Sheriff's Office and the Captain is part of the Sleepy Hollow Police Department or is it the other way around?

I do think there will be some good lines in this show.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

No, of course it's not at the level of Firefly. For that to happen, it would have to have been written by Joss - and it wasn't.  It only hints at that, but it's funny just the same.  When it stops being funny, I'll tune something else in.

I'll keep watching, too ... but I'll leave the plotline nitpicking to others.

VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#31 OFFLINE   russ9

russ9

Godfather

• Registered
  • 387 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 04:36 PM

It's just a flesh wound!

I'm just saying...

• tsmacro likes this
Dishing it up since 4-4-1997
vip722K hooked up to a bunch of stuff. Like a bigger TV.

Soon to be on Dish network, explained by a BBC spokesman

#32 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,541 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:51 PM

This week's episode not so impressive. IMHO, of course. :grin:

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#33 OFFLINE   Reaper

Reaper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 535 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 02:04 PM

This week's episode not so impressive. IMHO, of course. :grin:

Ditto. I felt there was quite a drop in quality, especially in terms of pacing.

#34 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,642 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 01:11 PM

...John Noble deserved to win every acting award available to him for his portrayal of Walter Bishop! Unfortunately Fringe was the wrong kind of show with marginal ratings to garner him much attention along those lines.

Very well said; I could not agree more. Why he did not win the supporting actor Emmy 5 years in a row is highway robbery. Not even nominated, IIRC. Maybe you are correct and it is all about who is watching.

Sometimes shows shoot their wad in the pilot, and then have no ammo to reload for the next few eps. This may be a case of that. I still think it is worth hanging in for a while.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#35 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 29 September 2013 - 02:28 PM

I agree with phrelin 100% ... it seemed to have lost something.  IMO the humor was not spontaneous and it lacked subtlety.

TomCat might have hit it on the head:

"Sometimes shows shoot their wad in the pilot, and then have no ammo to reload for the next few eps. This may be a case of that. I still think it is worth hanging in for a while."

I have no problem with Noble joining the cast of SH, as long as he doesn't do that horrible Vincent Price-esque thing he did in Dark Matters.

VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#36 OFFLINE   Reaper

Reaper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 535 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 01:16 PM

I thought the 3rd episode was quite a bit better than the second. So far I'd rate them something like this...

1st episode - 4/5

2nd episode - 2/5

3rd episode - 3/5

#37 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 02 October 2013 - 01:49 PM

I thought the 3rd episode was quite a bit better than the second. So far I'd rate them something like this...

1st episode - 4/5

2nd episode - 2/5

3rd episode - 3/5

Looks like TomCat has his finger on the pulse of this one.

I have it in the can, Reaper. Does it still have humor in it?

VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#38 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,480 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 03 October 2013 - 12:22 PM

It's already been renewed for a second season.

http://tvbythenumber...-by-fox/206774/

#39 OFFLINE   RASCAL01

RASCAL01

Godfather

• Registered
  • 297 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 01:03 PM

No it is not a funny show, it's a drama.  And has been quite good.

RASCAL01
DISH 622, Hopper, Hopper2, Joey
TOSHIBA REGZA 55 LED/LCD 24O HZ
SONY AV 5.1 SOUROUND SOUND
SONY 3D BLUE RAY PLAYER

#40 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,480 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 03 October 2013 - 01:40 PM

A drama can have humor, a comedy can have drama. 

Protected By... spam firewall...And...